Should we discourage fighters from taking short notice fights?

The Chosen

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A lot of old school guys admire fighters like Cowboy for always being ready to save fights from falling out and being incredibly active, but like GSP said the “anytime anywhere” slogan is used to slander fighters (a la Dana White repeatedly saying to media outlets every time he has a dispute with a fighter “they don’t want to fight”) and push them into taking bad career decisions. If Tony Ferguson never took that Gaethje fight he would have headlined the most anticipated UFC fight of all time, had the biggest payday of his life, but he wanted to “save the card”... Instead of applauding fighters for stepping in when others pull out we should be saying “hold on a minute, be smarter with your career.”

Really it should be something fighters do for an opportunity they wouldn't otherwise get, not something they should be forced into.
Yeah but idiots applaud them for doing it and Dana sings their praise in the media. Why did Kevin Holland fight Vettori after getting ragdolled by Brunson? Why is Kelvin Gastelum facing yet another killer and becoming MW’s eternal punching bag?

It should be up to the fighter. Some fighters have managed to very quickly build up momentum by taking and winning short notice fights like Gilbert Burns, Kevin Holland and Angela Hill, for some other fighters like Hannah Cifers, it hasn't really worked out.

It should be up to the fighter. Some fighters have managed to very quickly build up momentum by taking and winning short notice fights like Gilbert Burns, Kevin Holland and Angela Hill, for some other fighters like Hannah Cifers, it hasn't really worked out.
What short notice fights did Kevin Holland won? Santos and Vettori were losses

It really depends on how confident and comfortable each fighter is. For example it worked out well for Cabo Nate against Conor
tenor.gif

Yeah but idiots applaud them for doing it and Dana sings their praise in the media. Why did Kevin Holland fight Vettori after getting ragdolled by Brunson? Why is Kelvin Gastelum facing yet another killer and becoming MW’s eternal punching bag?

Holland got into the position he's in by accepting short notice fights. He's making over $100k per fight now

Holland got into the position he's in by accepting short notice fights. He's making over $100k per fight now
He may be making good money but he’s at the backpeddle of his career now, he got exposed badly and is now on a two loss streak

What short notice fights did Kevin Holland won? Santos and Vettori were losses

Anthony Hernandez was short notice, Buckley was short notice after he originally stepped in on short notice to fight Giles IIRC who pulled out so he fought Buckley instead. He then fought Stewart a month after fighting Buckley.

No.

We should encourage fighters to be ‘ready’ at short notice.

You’ll never be 100% is you’re stepping in at a weeks notice, but by the same token you shouldn’t need a 10-12 week camp to get ready if you keep yourself in shape and close to fighting weight.

Anthony Hernandez was short notice, Buckley was short notice after he originally stepped in on short notice to fight Giles IIRC who pulled out so he fought Buckley instead. He then fought Stewart a month after fighting Buckley.
Now he’s headed down the Cowboy career path, pretty good but poor career management stopped him from reaching the top

No.

We should encourage fighters to be ‘ready’ at short notice.

You’ll never be 100% is you’re stepping in at a weeks notice, but by the same token you shouldn’t need a 10-12 week camp to get ready if you keep yourself in shape and close to fighting weight.
There are off seasons for a reason, you need time to get in prime conditioning, you can’t be ripped and lean year round

Now he’s headed down the Cowboy career path, pretty good but poor career management stopped him from reaching the top

I disagree really, I just think he's reached about where his level is unless he makes significant strides in his TDD.

There are off seasons for a reason, you need time to get in prime conditioning, you can’t be ripped and lean year round

Yes, you absolutely can.

You might not be able to be in absolute peak fighting shape all year round, but you can be close enough to it (and close enough to your fighting weight) so that taking a fight at short notice isn’t a huge handicap.

I’m not on the fighter’s side, I’m on entertainments side. I love it. Best interest or not, save that card and make me (the consumer) feel better about my investment. These guys are pros making dough, you should stop looking at them like they’re your personal pets.

I disagree really, I just think he's reached about where his level is unless he makes significant strides in his TDD.
Fighters can improve, what if Brian Ortega didn’t take time off to switch camps and improve his striking after his loss to Max Holloway? I’m guessing you were one of the ones thing on him and saying “he never fights” even though in his return he looked better than ever?

“We”?

Their teams and managers already own that position. You aren’t needed or wanted there.

They are all aware of the +s and -s. When Jones turned down - who was it, Chael? - he paid no price. He is one of the few that could ever get away with that of course.

When Nate accepted Conor 1 or changed his life.

And there are scores of examples in between.

Fighters can improve, what if Brian Ortega didn’t take time off to switch camps and improve his striking after his loss to Max Holloway? I’m guessing you were one of the ones thing on him and saying “he never fights” even though in his return he looked better than ever?

No I never said that, it's up to him how he chooses to manage his career. Holland can still take time to work on his TDD if he wants to, but now he has a lot of extra money in the bank and the financial security to be able to go away and work on things should he choose to do so.

Back