Social Should we bring Zeppelins back

PBAC

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I mean, probably cheaper than a bus and easier to land than a plane. They'd shorten the routes on some bus journeys. There's probably a bunch of different other reasons but we seem to have stopped using them largely because of the Hindenburg disaster. Looking back on old photos of them is like seeing something from Sci FI

USS_Los_Angeles_moored_to_USS_Patoka%2C_1931.jpg

1280px-LZ_130_Graf_Zeppelin_in_flight.jpg

I always loved them, Id love to see em back. Quiet, quick enough given other modes of local transpo, not able to carry huge number of people so it would be a pleasant, upscale experience. Hope they return, for this or that purpose.

Would be cool to look below at the peons stuck in traffic. But isn’t it slow to board and load and anchor and departure?

Definitely would love to see LZ in concert tho ar this age it might suck. But in prime the most talented band in history an its not close. (Plant one of goat rock singers, Page a goat guitarist, Bonham is the goat drummer, and JPJ is a goat bass) not to even mention the goat level song writing.

Would be cool to look below at the peons stuck in traffic. But isn’t it slow to board and load and anchor and departure?

boarding and loading can be improved/sped up

there's probably a more modern way to anchor than there was in the past. I would run them on direct routes only when the road alternative takes the long route, or over a lake or something.

the luxury aspect would probably go straight out the window today and they'd become flying buses

They’d be too expensive. For safety reasons they switched decades ago from hydrogen to helium to prevent a repeat of the Hindenburg disaster, but the thing is there’s a worldwide shortage of helium. You could maybe bring them back for luxury purposes and charge a lot for a ticket in order to recoup the costs, but to make them a viable means of mass transportation just isn’t going to happen. Not unless cold fusion really becomes a thing, then presumably we’ll be able to make helium as a byproduct of power generation.

only possible if we can also figure out how to bring John Bonham back

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back