Should Valentina Schevchenko gain some muscle?

You should rewatch the fight, and also take a look at Holly during the post fight presser, specifically her neck ... Holly has a very large and hideous looking bruise on her neck from the wheel kick that Shev landed .. on her neck.

You could also see the bruising on Holly's thighs from those kicks as the fight went on ... Valentina's kicks were absolutely doing damage in that fight.

I wasn't talking about her wheel kick, spinning kick or axe kick I'm only talking about her leg kicks as they are weak kicks. When you can land 40 significant leg strikes like Valentina did to Holm and Holm is still able to stand, putting her weight on that leg still throwing shots then your leg kicks are weak. Holm should not have been able to stand at all after 18 - 25 leg kicks at most yet Valentina landed a whopping 40 according to statistics posted. That should be something her fight team should work on.

http://espn.go.com/mma/fight/statistics/_/fightId/224280

Barboza only landed 23 significant strikes to the leg of Melendez and Melendez could barely put any weight on that leg after the 15th strike. Any other fighter would've been down and would not be able to get up after that many leg strikes but Melendez is a fuk'in warrior.

http://espn.go.com/mma/fight/statistics/_/fightId/224277

Now I'm not saying Valentina should have the same leg kick power as Barboza as that would be impossible for her to do. If she would work on putting more power into her leg kicks instead of always throwing those soft shots she would be a terror to deal with.

She just picked up the biggest win of her career. She should keep doing what she's doing.
No reason to seek improvement you say? Valentina is already very skilled so the easiest way to get better is probably just to increase muscle mass as long as her cardio is not impaired.

She should add these 10lbs on her butt. I wouldn't complain.

No reason to seek improvement you say? Valentina is already very skilled so the easiest way to get better is probably just to increase muscle mass as long as her cardio is not impaired.
Big muscles are not always an improvement though and she looked great against Holly. Gaining 10 pounds of muscle just to try is awfully risky and it's also 10 pounds more weight to cut for a 135 pound fighter. Having re-watched her fight against Holly I think she's a force as she is now.

I wasn't talking about her wheel kick, spinning kick or axe kick I'm only talking about her leg kicks as they are weak kicks. When you can land 40 significant leg strikes like Valentina did to Holm and Holm is still able to stand, putting her weight on that leg still throwing shots then your leg kicks are weak. Holm should not have been able to stand at all after 18 - 25 leg kicks at most yet Valentina landed a whopping 40 according to statistics posted. That should be something her fight team should work on.

Barboza only landed 23 significant strikes to the leg of Melendez and Melendez could barely put any weight on that leg after the 15th strike. Any other fighter would've been down and would not be able to get up after that many leg strikes but Melendez is a fuk'in warrior.

Now I'm not saying Valentina should have the same leg kick power as Barboza as that would be impossible for her to do. If she would work on putting more power into her leg kicks instead of always throwing those soft shots she would be a terror to deal with.

What the fuck. She has plenty of power for a tiny 165cm girl. I'm not even sure Cyborg's legkicks are harder.
You're writing an absurd nonsense.

Big muscles are not always an improvement though and she looked great against Holly. Gaining 10 pounds of muscle just to try is awfully risky and it's also 10 pounds more weight to cut for a 135 pound fighter. Having re-watched her fight against Holly I think she's a force as she is now.

Risky? If she lose cardio then she can just cut back, maybe 5 pounds is better? She is probably not cutting any weight at all at the moment since she was only 133 lbs, she is simply a number too small for the division! Good grapplers like Ronda may capitalize on her size.

Risky? If she lose cardio then she can just cut back, maybe 5 pounds is better? She is probably not cutting any weight at all at the moment since she was only 133 lbs, she is simply a number too small for the division! Good grapplers like Ronda may capitalize on her size.
Was she really only 133? Damn, I hadn't picked up on that. Probably why Holly looked bigger. Makes it even more impressive that she took her down a few times.

Who cares about weight...Top or Bottom I'd smash...
base_image.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

Was she really only 133? Damn, I hadn't picked up on that. Probably why Holly looked bigger. Makes it even more impressive that she took her down a few times.
Yes only 133 lbs versus Holly 135, where Holly cut down a lot. Valentina is russian master in sports and black belt in judo also, I just think she would be even more powerful by gaining some muscle in the right bodyparts.

Well, you are using Barboza vs Melendez to make your point about leg kicks, but then also say that Valentina should not have the same power as Barboza ... then why use that as an example to try and make your point? <35>

But since you did go there ... Now, let's look at the size and muscle density of Gilbert Melendez's chicken legs vs the size and muscle density of Holly's thorough bred Amazon legs ... and then nothing else needs to be said.

Holly is 1" shorter than Gil, and her legs are literally 3x the size of his ... literally.

What the fuck. She has plenty of power for a tiny 165cm girl. I'm not even sure Cyborg's legkicks are harder.

Well, you are using Barboza vs Melendez to make your point about leg kicks, but then also say that Valentina should not have the same power as Barboza ... then why use that as an example to try and make your point? <35>

But since you did go there ... Now, let's look at the size and muscle density of Gilbert Melendez's chicken legs vs the size and muscle density of Holly's thorough bred Amazon legs ... and then nothing else needs to be said.

Holly is 1" shorter than Gil, and her legs are literally 3x the size of his ... literally.

40 significant leg kicks and barely any bruises on Holm's legs those are weak leg kicks.
Holly-Holm-vs-Valentina-Shevchenko.jpg

Landing 40 leg kicks with some power behind them should look like this.
a60ee280109071c135f438c3e50b9333.jpg

The difference is Barboza is throwing the rear leg power kick to the outside of his opponent's leg whereas Shevchenko was throwing the lead leg low kick to the inside of the leg, of course it's not going to have as much power on it. The lead leg low kick doesn't have the windup & step through of the rear leg power kick, it gives up power but gains speed and reduces telegraphing, it's like how a jab is faster but less powerful than a cross.

Even though Holm wasn't crippled, her leg was still beat up quite nicely. The inside of her right leg is all red from about 3" below her shorts to the knee.

holm.jpg

Also leg kicks don't need to be hard they just need to be hard enough and land on the same spot multiple times. You don't have to throw hard for things to hurt the opponent.

40 significant leg kicks and barely any bruises on Holm's legs those are weak leg kicks.
Holly-Holm-vs-Valentina-Shevchenko.jpg

Landing 40 leg kicks with some power behind them should look like this.
a60ee280109071c135f438c3e50b9333.jpg

Inside leg kicks (Holly) vs outside leg kicks (Gil) .. also if you look at the location of the bruising on Holly's leg you can see that the kicks were landing up high on the fleshy part of her thigh, not near the Knee joint (as it was for Gil) which would cause the most damage as for as mobility and function is concerned ... not the same, and therefore not a reasonable comparison imo

She did fine vs 2 of the biggest BWs, beating Holly, and looked like she would get the better of Amanda if it was 5 rounds. No need for her to go to FW.

She weighed in at 133. Maybe slowly adding on 2lbs of muscle would be fine without affecting her cardio and speed.

Weighing in at 133 means you're below the weight class or had a very sloppy weight cut. Girls like Holly are going to be in the 145-150lb range come fight night and that's a pretty rough disadvantage.

Holly out muscled Valentina in the clinch repeatedly which should not be happening to a muay thai world champion.

who cares bro its the womens division does anyone eve nwatch that shit anymore

So you're basically saying if she was a man she would fight better?

Gosh, I hope you aren't in those two wmma threads on the front page posting about how much you love wmma!

I remember now.

Back