should ufc keep fighters with a losing record that are crowd favs?

What makes fights exciting are COMPETITIVE FIGHTS.

A guy who consistently gets the shit beat out of him does not belong in the UFC.

A guy who finds himself on the wrong end of close, but competitive decisions should keep his spot in the UFC.

this first post here really nailed it.

Yeah, Sam Stout is a good example, has never really got to the top, but always fights and puts on a show.

3 losses should be a cut? Listen to yourselves! What if they cut Frankie instead of giving him Oliviera? Before UFC 162 he was 1-3-1 in his last 5 but everybody knows he is exciting AND high level.

3 dominations and then cut. 4 dominations and no cut? We riot.

pride kept matsui around, you can think of examples for other organizations but seems ufc puts much more pressure to win or get cut.

would fighters fight to finish and take more chances if ufc changed their stance a bit? They say they want entertaining fights but if you keep winning seems you get to stay no matter how boring?

We need a couple Shojis and Matsuis these days

What makes fights exciting are COMPETITIVE FIGHTS.

A guy who consistently gets the shit beat out of him does not belong in the UFC.

A guy who finds himself on the wrong end of close, but competitive decisions should keep his spot in the UFC.

this first post here really nailed it.

Are there any UFC fighters that still don't have a winning record? I cant think of any sub .500 fighter in UFC now, and there aren't any I can think of that should come back.

Card fillers have their place in the UFC too.
No they don't.

As it so happens, there are no card fillers in the UFC, just ignorant fans who assume a fighter is a "card filler" if they've never heard of him.

I bet people think Steven Siler is a card filler despite being 5-1 in the UFC.

Roop KO's Jung and Bowles and people think of him as a card filler.

It's fucking disgusting.

Are there any UFC fighters that still don't have a winning record? I cant think of any sub .500 fighter in UFC now, and there aren't any I can think of that should come back.
Rakoczy will be the only one assuming she is signed after TUF.

If pennington is signed and loses, she will also have a losing record.

Should women really count in these records anyways?

it depends on the skill and legendariness

a guy like Wand should be kept around as long as he wants, he's an entertaining fighter and has done enough in the sport to deserve the right to fight in the UFC and retire when he wants. Of course, don't try getting him on a title run, but put him in there with guys who you know will make for an entertaining fight with him.

Guys like Lauzon and Lytle are skilled fighters too. While I don't think anybody ever expected them to hold gold, both were good fighters who could make fights competitive with elite fighters. They deserved to be kept around because they were entertaining and even possibly worthy of the top ten.

a guy like Garcia though, should not be kept around, he's not a good fighter and he doesn't really have that "legend" ring to his name.

Sure. Not every fighter in the UFC is going to be a title contender. Card fillers have their place in the UFC too.

Obviously, keeping a guy like Garcia around for so long while he was losing and doing so in ugly fashion is hilarious. But a guy like Barry should stick around. Inconsistent but good for the undercard or first fight. Either win or lose, you know you're getting a fun fight with a finish.

I agree, also who a fighter loses to should count for something. Some folks were calling for Edgar's head after he lost 3 in a row, to Bendo twice then Aldo. That's crazy talk there!

No they don't.

As it so happens, there are no card fillers in the UFC, just ignorant fans who assume a fighter is a "card filler" if they've never heard of him.

I bet people think Steven Siler is a card filler despite being 5-1 in the UFC.

Roop KO's Jung and Bowles and people think of him as a card filler.

It's fucking disgusting.

There are most likely tiers within the organization though.

When they make matches it's got to be governed by something.

Rankings sure aint it...

Absolutely keep guys around... leonard garcia, pat barry, matt brown, dan hardy, etc. Ill watch those guys any day over fitch and okami or carmont and pierce

the ufc should absolutely keep around exciting fighters despite a few losses, they should however not cut top ten fighters for any reason. If they are boring, so what they worked their way up into the Top 10, if they lose enough to be dropped from the Top 10 then and only then should they be cut.

not saying consistently gets the shit beat out of him maybe the matsui example wasnt the best to mention lol
Well, he was also part of Takada Dojo (and Takada was a big part of PRIDE), and Sakuraba's best friend/training partner.
So they would not cut him like that...
And win or lose (ok, lose most of the time.. except that epic Pele fight), he was always putting exciting performances against bigger opponents, sometimes on short notice.

I love Matsui, great warrior. His fight with Kazuhiro Nakamura was short, but action-packed.

Now Dana cuts top 10 fighters like Okami and Fitch for bullshit reasons, screw that guy.

Back