Should UFC Champs be highlighting the problems facing our world today?

Maori

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
For these are the actions of a person who I truly believe will go down as "The Greatest of All Time"

Without getting to emotionally involved Id like to start off talking about Muhammad Ali, who to many is considered the GOAT of boxing(not to all lol).Ali as we all know is well known for what he did in the ring, but his stance on his religous and cultural beliefs and the war in Vietnam for me personally far outweigh anything he did with the gloves.

His coming as a leader for his people and bringing to the forefront the disrimination they endured in the early part of the 20th century, coupled with his antiview on the war in Vietnam is something to my knowledge I am yet to witness from a sportsmen since Ali.

Ali inspired many people from the ghettos of USA to prominent figures like Martin Luther King Jr, who up until Ali's exposure on the Vietnam War had been reluctant to address his views on it for fear of alienating the Johnson Administration and its support of the civil rights agenda. Now, King began to voice his own opposition to the war for the first time.Lets not forget the man served 4 years in prison for his views and probably lost the prime years of his boxing career.

Sure he had his flaws, calling white people devils lol and his martial affairso, but no ones perfect.Fast forward 60 odd years, we now have a UFC LHW Champ who claims to be christian, yet we never hear him say put an end to the wars his country and her allies(mine included) weigh in on in foreign countries, hopefully putting an end to the thousands and thousands of innocent lives lost, also the lives of those currently serving from both sides.Why not at a press conference bring up the fact that his boss has fake snow shoveled in while millions of children around the world drink water from puddles of mud.

In no way am I targeting Jones as the sole person whos failed to do such things, as every current and former champ is yet to do different to my knowledge, but more of an example of what could be.In my opinion addressing our worlds problems at a press conference, fox interviews would be a huge statement to not only help seperate the barbaric persona that comes with mma to the uneducated, but also put the sport on a stage much bigger then the fighters and mma itself.Connor McGregor imo could fill this void(im not a fan)but unfortunately it seems as though hes on the Mayweather path.And more power to him.Im gonna leave it there as this is the most Ive written since i left school.

Thoughts?

No. It accomplishes precisely nothing anyway. Sports heroes are usually uneducated and and have nothing worthwhile to say on problems facing our world today. It's usually facepalm inducing to hear them talk about these things. The same goes for other celebrities.

By the way, you have an extremely rose tinted view of Ali's non-boxing life.

Not "no" but hell no.

Sports is an escape, keep the real world shit away.

Depends if they genuinely feel strong about an issue

Athletics and politics should be separate careers.

See where your coming from, but a person whos able to connect with 1 million people who pay 60 dollars watch him surely could have some influence in the name of good?

I swear if conor came out tomorrow and said he was against obama and americas war islam calling him a devil for letting people die for a useless cause, would cause some sort of buzz right?cause lets face it wars evil.

Dana does not want any thinking men in the UFC.

No. As someone else said, most athletes are too ignorant about the subject to sound intelligent when talking about the world's problems. It's usually cringe worthy.

On the other hand, I'm totally cool with sports stars showing up at kids hospitals and surprising the kids and stuff. That's always awesome, using their star power for good. Or giving a dying fan a final wish and letting him/her come hang out at the gym or something. But athletes have no business talking about wars, politics, or anything else they're not educated on.

No. As someone else said, most athletes are too ignorant about the subject to sound intelligent when talking about the world's problems. It's usually cringe worthy.

On the other hand, I'm totally cool with sports stars showing up at kids hospitals and surprising the kids and stuff. That's always awesome, using their star power for good. Or giving a dying fan a final wish and letting him/her come hang out at the gym or something. But athletes have no business talking about wars, politics, or anything else they're not educated on.

I agree with you. Champs should do something that directly makes someones life better. Do some seminars for at risk youth, work in a soup kitchen, give something of themselves back. I don't want to be fed a simplistic opinion on a nuanced issue during 20 seconds of a post fight interview.

No. It accomplishes precisely nothing anyway. Sports heroes are usually uneducated and and have nothing worthwhile to say on problems facing our world today. It's usually facepalm inducing to hear them talk about these things. The same goes for other celebrities.

By the way, you have an extremely rose tinted view of Ali's non-boxing life.

Exactly, athletes who openly protest do nothing to further open dialogue. Like the quote says athletes are rarely educated on the topics they choose endorse, and are used as tokens to further ideological bias.

And I'm not saying they shouldn't have the right, just that they should stick to what they know, and stop being reactionary idiots who pick sides with out full understandings of the actual issues.

It's kind of hard to say anything about making the world a better place if you are fighting on Fox. I expect Brock would not care and say it as it is.

I have no problem with any athlete or celebrity using whatever fame they have as a platform for their religion or pet cause. But are they obliged to? lol, no.

Exactly, athletes who openly protest do nothing to further open dialogue. Like the quote says athletes are rarely educated on the topics they choose endorse, and are used as tokens to further ideological bias.

And I'm not saying they shouldn't have the right, just that they should stick to what they know, and stop being reactionary idiots who pick sides with out full understandings of the actual issues.

What about the 95 world cup south african rugby team who along with the driving force behind them nelson mandela, came together to try and help end the apartheid?also inspiring the creation to the movie invicta staring matt damon morgan freeman.

Id hope there is some out there who think, like me that a ufc fighter exhibits just as much leader qualities and attributes then any president or prime minister would be able to and at influence the right person into making change on any one of the problems facing our world.that would be the ultimate contribution for the sport imo

Maybe im just giving fighters to much credit?

Yuck. Post-fight interviews are bad enough now.

Jones has already stated that homosexuality is a sin.

And all the fighters are pretty much, "Support the troops or you're a terrorist POS."

They are free to say what they care about. They should also know it could hurt them financial if it turns off fans.

What about the 95 world cup south african rugby team who along with the driving force behind them nelson mandela, came together to try and help end the apartheid?also inspiring the creation to the movie invicta staring matt damon morgan freeman.

Id hope there is some out there who think, like me that a ufc fighter exhibits just as much leader qualities and attributes then any president or prime minister would be able to and at influence the right person into making change on any one of the problems facing our world.that would be the ultimate contribution for the sport imo

Maybe im just giving fighters to much credit?

I see where your coming from, I just don't want to base my opinion of an athlete on his personal views, that's not why I'm tuned in. Don't hijack my escape from the worlds troubles with the worlds troubles. Very selfish I know, but rams players protesting ST Louis police I felt was disgusting, they wanted us to believe the police officer was the criminal, its stuff like that needs to stay off the field, or out of the octagon.

I'd rather they didn't become another medium for social justice nonsense and anti-white propaganda.

Back