Should title fights always be the main event?

wellsdj1

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
From a financial point of view should title fights always be the main event? We are seeing twice now that a lower weight title fight headline over a heavier title fight .
Conor vs mendes and Aldo vs Conor . Would the UFC be wise for fighters like Mighty Mouse and TJ to co headline a fight even if there isn't another title fight on the card? Example Mighty Mouse vs McCall III co main to jds vs overeem type of fight. Do you think that would help ppv sales?

I like the idea. That would mean Ovreem/JDS would be 5 rounds instead of 3.

Nah the title fight should always headline. The higher weight class headlining thing doesn't matter to me much though.

I think every fight between two top 10 ranked fighters should be 5 rounds.

I think every fight between two top 10 ranked fighters should be 5 rounds.

That could make for some long shows. But I can see your point. Two top 10 fighters fighting, are close to a title shot and it would be good to know they could go 5 rounds without gassing before getting a title shot

If GSP came back for a non title fight it could headline over most champs.

I think Conor vs Ronda would be the main event over any title fight.

It should always be the biggest drawing fight, at least if you want to make the most possible money and give the most exposure to the fighters on the card.

I have no doubt that between headlining a card of Mighty Mouse-Dodson or Silva-GSP, the UFC would put Silva-GSP at the top every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

From a financial point of view should title fights always be the main event? We are seeing twice now that a lower weight title fight headline over a heavier title fight .
Conor vs mendes and Aldo vs Conor . Would the UFC be wise for fighters like Mighty Mouse and TJ to co headline a fight even if there isn't another title fight on the card? Example Mighty Mouse vs McCall III co main to jds vs overeem type of fight. Do you think that would help ppv sales?
No, obviously not. If you want to make as much money as possible you should always have the most popular fight as the main event.

No, obviously not. If you want to make as much money as possible you should always have the most popular fight as the main event.

This. UFC wants the most possible pay per view buys, and to do so you put the most attractive fighter(s) in the Main event.

I swear most of you care more about numbers and drawing power than the fights, frank mir Tim Sylvia was not the main event

It depends on the level of interest. All other things being equal, lighter weights will have less interest. A guy like McGregor can main event, Ronda can main event (for now), but some title fights will be less interesting then certain other fights in other weight classes, usually larger weight classes.

I swear most of you care more about numbers and drawing power than the fights, frank mir Tim Sylvia was not the main event

It's more than that. Fighters need promotion. Promotion requires exposure. If you want the fighters to be the most financially successful inside and outside of the octagon, you want them to get the most exposure possible.

Fighters do more than fight in the Octagon. They teach, they coach, they corner, they do private lessons and seminars. They open Dojo's and gyms. Fighters bank on their names long after they stop fighting and those names won't mean jack if nobody knows who they are.

It's nearly always in the fighters' best interests to be on the most viewed cards possible. And in the grand scheme, though fighters may not get the financial share that everyone wants, the bigger the pie, the more everyone eventually makes. A small slice of a huge pie always makes more than that same small slice of a smaller pie.

If you actually care about the fighters, then you want them on the biggest drawing cards possible and that means the biggest names on the top of the card.

Or just make Co-mains 5 rounders, or #1 contender fights 5 rounders

The biggest draw should be last regardless of title.

yes. Title fights>non title fights, real title fights>interim title fights.

I like the title fight going last.

Man do I ever hope that Johnson vs. McCall 3 will happen one day.

It's more than that. Fighters need promotion. Promotion requires exposure. If you want the fighters to be the most financially successful inside and outside of the octagon, you want them to get the most exposure possible.

Fighters do more than fight in the Octagon. They teach, they coach, they corner, they do private lessons and seminars. They open Dojo's and gyms. Fighters bank on their names long after they stop fighting and those names won't mean jack if nobody knows who they are.

It's nearly always in the fighters' best interests to be on the most viewed cards possible. And in the grand scheme, though fighters may not get the financial share that everyone wants, the bigger the pie, the more everyone eventually makes. A small slice of a huge pie always makes more than that same small slice of a smaller pie.

If you actually care about the fighters, then you want them on the biggest drawing cards possible and that means the biggest names on the top of the card.

Ya I could care less how many people view the fighters I like I don't care how much money they make

Back