Opinion Should they ban assault weapons?

Should they ban assault weapons?

• Total voters
I'll give it a crack. Granted I'm whittling out the retarded criteria like flash-hiders and pistol grips.

• Barrel over 16"
  • Semi-auto
Ok but what color are we talking here?

Why should all of society be deprived of a right, because some people abuse said right.

In a relatively free society, you are always going to a degree of risk emanating from the average Joe that you wouldn't have from a relatively non-free society like Dubai or Singapore. It's the price we pay for being free, in the grand scheme of things.

I'm picturing the TS making the angry face because this thread didn' go the way he had hoped. He doesn't realize how ill informed he is or how often this topic is argued.

tldr: hahaha TS is an idiot.

Obligatory kevlar vest under your clothes for every citizen, which would also be a good daily workout because they are kinda heavy, more safety and less obesity, killing two birds with one stone.

The problem with the gun debate is the anti-gun crowd seemingly have zero knowledge about guns. Assault weapons? What's an assault weapon?

I'm picturing the TS making the angry face because this thread didn' go the way he had hoped. He doesn't realize how ill informed he is or how often this topic is argued.

tldr: hahaha TS is an idiot.

even the liberals on this forum think the assault weapon stuff is dumb

If you non-ironically use the term assault weapon then you probably don't have the mental capacity for serious firearm discussion.

This has already been argued to death, but:

No. For two related reasons:
1) rifles account for about 3% of gun deaths
2) in close range (most mass shootings), handguns are just as dangerous.

For those reasons, banning any and all rifles (forget the assault weapon term) will not stop mass shootings, and it will have no effect on murder rate.

I voted yes, but only because of the current state of gun ownership.

If we got better at regulating access and policing illegal transfers of firearms, I think anyone should be allowed to own any gun.

Some states do it better than others and Florida definitely isn't one of them.

It's the price we pay for being free, in the grand scheme of things.

tenor.gif

l4bN_f-maxage-0.gif

tenor.gif

Why should all of society be deprived of a right, because some people abuse said right.

In a relatively free society, you are always going to a degree of risk emanating from the average Joe that you wouldn't have from a relatively non-free society like Dubai or Singapore. It's the price we pay for being free, in the grand scheme of things.
I understand what you're saying, but there are plenty of countries with less guns and free-er societies than Singapore.
That said, there are just way too many guns in circulation for a ban to have any real short term effect. This is a problem that isn't going to go away any time soon.

So you want to ban all semi auto long guns?

Hell no.

And that still would not stop this kind of thing.

I understand what you're saying, but there are plenty of countries with less guns and free-er societies than Singapore.
That said, there are just way too many guns in circulation for a ban to have any real short term effect. This is a problem that isn't going to go away any time soon.

Western Europe is freer in some sense, as their people tend to have more say over local politics but that is probably a function of size and distance.

We are freer , as far as individual freedoms go. The biggest factor being our right to say anything we want and not get charged for 'hate speech'.

Clearly 61% of sherdoggers love guns more than they love their children

I'm voting no, but I feel like this is a loaded question. Assault weapons is a meaningless term. There should be some reasonable legislation that helps reduce the likelihood of a mentally ill person getting their hands on a weapon, but I acknowledge that there is concern from law abiding gun owners about a slippery slope effect. I don't see a path forward.

Back