Should the UFC start penalizing for pull outs

Rizzo

Brown Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
We now have had I believe 10 main event or co main event changes in 2016....less than 2 months into the damn year. The injuries get bigger and more frequent by the year. And its obvious whats happening, the fighters are over training and putting themselves more at risk for injuries. These injuries go beyond just PPV numbers, they affect the venue, the people who have paid months in advance to see specific fighters live, and the sport in general. As these major injuries continue to stack up, the sport loses more and more casual fans.

Should the UFC step in and start penalizing repeat offenders?

I have been a fan of the sport since its inception and its sad that I literally can no longer get excited for ANY fight because I always just assume that it will end up changed or cancelled. Just five years ago I used to hold fight parties of 30-50 people, now I am lucky if 5 people want to come watch the fights.

Something needs to change.

Horrible post and moronic idea. They don't make enough as it is, now you're saying fighters should be penalized when they are too injured to work?

How about UFC gets their shit together and has backup fighters pre-organized in case an event like this happens?

You would think they'd have learned their lesson by now.

giphy.gif

Lol. Reebok deal does a good enough job penalizing the roster we don't need anymore penalties soon the UFC start charging you for air in Denver and Mehico

Yeah let's penalize the defending champ for pulling out a fight like two and a half months after his last one.

If UFC stock were publicly traded, it would be down 15% on this news. It highlights a risk to the business model.

no, but they can penalize every fighter a fighter ducks, with a greater penalty for higher ranked opponents

like with connor ducking khabib

What would you do if your workplace started fining you for every sick day you took?

That's what interim titles are for. 2 pullouts in a row and the champ gets stripped. IMO that's the way to go

i say allow 1 pull out per year. then strip belt. if fighter doesnt have a belt and they pull out...their next fight will be prelims.

My girfriend penalises for pull outs

*i don't have a gf

With main events, and the whole card depending on the main event. There should be some kind of policy in place where the main eventers cannot train or spar hard. Most injuries take place cause of sparring session. Notably the dos anjos one just now with the broken foot and before with aldos ribs.

Maybe the ufc can enforce a rule where the main event fighters have to train supervised in a ufc facility at a certain date before the event.

Its just really unprofessional when fighters train so hard with less than 2 weeks to fight time. Aldo was 11 days from fight time when his ribs broke. Dos anjos is 10 days out with a broken foot.

The real losers here are all the other fighters on the card and the main event opponent. God forbid, ufc will cancel or downgrade a card because of this one day.

Maineventers should be held to a higher standard IMO.

With main events, and the whole card depending on the main event. There should be some kind of policy in place where the main eventers cannot train or spar hard. Most injuries take place cause of sparring session. Notably the dos anjos one just now with the broken foot and before with aldos ribs.

Maybe the ufc can enforce a rule where the main event fighters have to train supervised in a ufc facility at a certain date before the event.

Its just really unprofessional when fighters train so hard with less than 2 weeks to fight time. Aldo was 11 days from fight time when his ribs broke. Dos anjos is 10 days out with a broken foot.

The real losers here are all the other fighters on the card and the main event opponent. God forbid, ufc will cancel or downgrade a card because of this one day.

Maineventers should be held to a higher standard IMO.

This kind of shit must be fucking devastating to UFC from a financial point of view. I wonder if they can insure against this shit with Lloyds of London the way the studios insure their actors. If I were CFO, I would shit a brick over this.

What would you do if your workplace started fining you for every sick day you took?

Apples to oranges. I am not paid to show up to work 3-4 times a year so one "sick day" for a fighter would be the same as me taking off several months off work.

The guys who are headlining these cards need to be held to a higher standard, plain and simple. Back in the day we did not have this rash of injuries because the fighters fought through them like real men. Now most fighters refuse to step into the cage unless they are 100%. Which is ridiculous because anyone who has ever been an athlete on any level knows that there is rarely a 100%.

And I know...easy for me to say from behind a computer. But I played sports in high school and college and I played through any injury I could, because I loved the competition and I loved being out there. And that was for free. I couldnt even imagine what I would fight through if there were stacks of cash to be made.

Maybe TS just wants fighters that pull out of fights against Conor Mcgregor to be fined.

Back