Should The UFC Scale Purse Deductions Based on How Much You Miss Weight By?

Point deduction and* less purse relative to the percentage of missed weight (8 pounds at 135 are worse than 8 pounds at 205) sounds sensible imo.

*I said "and" and not "or", because unless they make the decrease in purse relative to the amount of money the fighter who missed weight has, some guys like Conor would say "fuck that bit of money, i'm rich anyways, why should i care?" but by also deducing a point, the fighter HAS to regret missing weight, because fighters are almost exclusively in there because they love winning and/or money.

I also don't mind if that point deduction increases, the more the fighter has missed weight: because let's say a guy comes in at his walkaround weight - this can be a much bigger advantage than having points deducted is a disadvantage.

@Zebra Cheeks @Hellowhosthat what do you think?

1. If it's 8 pounds, you don't "get paid the same." You don't get paid at all because the fight gets canceled.
2. The UFC doesn't implement purse deductions; the athletic commissions do.

A weight miss should be an L on your record

See how quickly massive weight cutting gets abolished
I don’t think people would think of it as a loss though. The same way we don’t think of Jon jones losing to Matt hamill as a loss. Or Yan getting dqd vs aljo.

It sounds good to me, other than i think you’d have to rejigger the brackets a bit to where that 75% range is the stiffest penalty. Ideally the commissions should do their effing job and not sanction fights with large weight discrepancies when there’s a on agreed upon weight class months in advance.

I'd do 10% per pound. And the fight should be considered to have occurred in the next weight division up if the offending fighter wins, with no benefit to his or her position in the rankings.

How about they boot the whole weight cutting process.

Weigh them on the day before the fight like now. They must be no more than X lbs over weight. Weigh them again on fight night. They must still be no more than X lbs over weight.

This certain makes fighters jump to some different weight classes but the excuses will be gone. Fights will be more energetic. This puts everyone on a level playing field where training is important, not your ability to cut weight.

Isn’t it the athletic commissions that penalize the fighters for missing weight?

Back