Should the UFC just focus on financing the female feathrweight class??

Young Herschel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I say the most logical and reasonable solution to the Rousey issue is that the Fertitas should implement a 145lb division already as they have created other weight classes like strawweight, whisperweight and whatever. Then they could legitimately encourage competition for RR and have her conquer the next division . . . if she can eventually claim the championship at featherweight.

I do not want a watered down Justino fighting Rousey at bantamweight and neither should anyone else. As other MMA and boxing champions have done since the 1920's . . . let Rousey just take on new competition in the next weight class rather than forcing recycled match-ups on the buying public like Meisha Tate :icon_evil

I have to believe that this would open up so many new opportunities for Ronda Rousey and it would serve to captivate the general buying public as to why they should get on the bandwagon of the UFC's most marketable champion. Cyborg Justino poses a legitimate risk factor which would be worth the build-up of say an eight fighter tournament to showcase the seven best MMA females in the feather weight class plus RR . . . sort of like Dana did with the UFC men's flyweight division.

Last edited:
I say the most logical and reasonable solution to the Rousey issue is that the Fertitas should implement a 145lb division already as they have created other weight classes like strawweight, whisperweight and whatever. Then they could legitimately encourage competition for RR and have her conquer the next division . . . if she can eventually claim the championship at featherweight.

I do not want a watered down Justino fighting Rousey at bantamweight and neither should anyone else. As other MMA and boxing champions have done since the 1920's . . . let Rousey just take on new competition in the next weight class rather than forcing recycled match-ups on the buying public like Meisha Tate :icon_evil

I am anxious to see Rousey vs Tate III. It won't be an armbar this time and it will end in the 1st round.

I get what you are saying, it makes some sense, but I think it is more important that they create a 125 division. There are girls in the 115 and 135 divisions that are alot better suited for 125. If the made the 125 division, Miesha Tate could be a UFC Champion. It's her only hope.

145 is a far worse division. The top 10 is a joke; catering to a proven drug cheat is also a joke.

Everyone shit on Ronda/Dana/UFC for 9-0 Bethe getting a title shot. However, Cyborg's defenses are way worse.

5-1 Van Duin, no notable wins/no top 10 wins
6-4 Tweet, 38 years old, part time fighter, no notable wins.
6-3 Muxlaw, part time fighter part time fitness instructor. Title shot came after losing to Coenen. No top 10 wins, no notable wins.

WFW is the worst division in the history of the sport.

Because I don't like the idea of a catchweight fight at all, and if Cris Cyborg tries everything possible but simply cannot make 135lbs - I hereby endorse the UFC creating a women's featherweight division for one night and one fight: Ronda Rousey vs Cris Cyborg for the inaugural UFC Women's featherweight title. If Ronda wins, she leaves the belt in the cage and the UFC cuts Cyborg and disbands the division. If Cyborg wins - the UFC still cuts Cyborg (she can keep the belt) and disbands the division because there are no other 145lb women to fight, and Ronda goes back to 135.

ts, you're assuming ronda wants to move up and compete at 145 lbs. she doesn't need to when she has plenty of other opportunities.

she can take the gina carano route and go hollywood full time making movies about her life and other action movies.

if i was lorenzo, i wouldn't waste money creating a 145 lbs division when there's no guarantee that ronda would stick around to continue fighting for the next several years.

Keeping the weight limits for women so low is silly in my eyes. People often cite "there is no depth of field above 135" but, guess what - half of the "athletes" in 135 are essentially part timers with a few years experience - there is little depth of talent at 135 as it stands, but we're trying to make a silk purse out of that sow's ear. If there were to actually be opportunity and some money for women who weren't on the very small side of the spectrum, to compete, some of them might decide "hey, maybe I won't go into dance class and learn to throw a punch instead."

The "no depth of talent" argument ignores that the existing division is puddle in Arizona deep anyways. Didn't stop them then, shouldn't stop them now.

boxing and mma are different.Its more beneficial to stay in the weight class if your the champ your in than to move up,and actually GIVE UP the belt. Pretty much no one gives up their belts in mma.

if there was a real FW div or a superstar like Ronda or Gina in the div they would have added it.

Look at Bellator, they have a FW div, Coenen and Budd and a few other girls, Coenen is on prelims while Justin Wren and Lorenzo Hood and guys you dont even know are on main card.

Div would be Cyborg, Peggy Morgan, the chick Cyborg just beat up Faith something and Amanda Bell.

Thats your FW div.

If you had Gina or Ronda, a superstar that draws vs anyone they would do it just to have that superstar fighter in the org but Cyborg isnt a star and they dont need the div.

Because I don't like the idea of a catchweight fight at all, and if Cris Cyborg tries everything possible but simply cannot make 135lbs - I hereby endorse the UFC creating a women's featherweight division for one night and one fight: Ronda Rousey vs Cris Cyborg for the inaugural UFC Women's featherweight title. If Ronda wins, she leaves the belt in the cage and the UFC cuts Cyborg and disbands the division. If Cyborg wins - the UFC still cuts Cyborg (she can keep the belt) and disbands the division because there are no other 145lb women to fight, and Ronda goes back to 135.

wow if cyborg won that would be a disaster in the scenario you described

A terrible idea most often repeated by Sherdoggers who couldn't name five Featherweights.

145 is a far worse division. The top 10 is a joke; catering to a proven drug cheat is also a joke.

Everyone shit on Ronda/Dana/UFC for 9-0 Bethe getting a title shot. However, Cyborg's defenses are way worse.

5-1 Van Duin, no notable wins/no top 10 wins
6-4 Tweet, 38 years old, part time fighter, no notable wins.
6-3 Muxlaw, part time fighter part time fitness instructor. Title shot came after losing to Coenen. No top 10 wins, no notable wins.

WFW is the worst division in the history of the sport.

I hope you know that such arguments could be made about any weight class before time and talent is focused on it . . . not to denigrate your position. I just feel that we could broaden the tent and invite some of those other female athletes into the 145lbs division right? Like some of those World Champion Abu Dhabi females who walk around at 160 something or what about professional boxing champions like Holly Holms? Are there no fighters who might be invited to try their luck and transition to MMA as well . . . gold medal champion wrestlers from around the world who could be converted in time?

We need this and I think Ronda needs it too. The fight with Cyborg could be as big as Hagler-Hearns if it took place at 145 . . . like Hearns when he was the bigger name

I co-sign. Make it a throwback bout with an open-weight if need be. Just let the public get the most competitive bout possible. There could be corresponding compensation for RR to move up like Hearns got for going up to 160lbs and fighting Hagler (like RR Hearns was the much bigger name at the time the bout was made)

A terrible idea most often repeated by Sherdoggers who couldn't name five Featherweights.

But how many can we name other than those we know now at 135 or 125? We only need like four to hold a tournament like Dana did for FLyweight men

Back