Should the UFC introduce VAR?

wilKO

Green, White & Gold belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Video Assisted Referee was introduced to the Premier League and footballing world in general this year with the aim to make the sport more fair.

Would this work in MMA? An eye poke or low blow occurs. The referee could signal he is checking VAR
ApprehensiveLimitedHammerheadbird-max-1mb.gif

And then assess whether the foul occurred, whether it was intentional, and punish accordingly. At the moment fighters are getting away with far too much cheating. Eye pokes etc are never punished. It could even be used for strikes to the back of the head. Hendo KOs Fedor with illegal strikes to the back of the head. He celebrates. The crowd goes wild. Ref checks VAR. Clearly sees the strikes to the back of the head and Fedor wins via DQ. Could VAR be the answer?

Neh
Issa fight, not a ball sport and rules are gay enough as it is

Sounds good to me. Referees should check with me before making any decision.

VAR stands for "value at risk" you uneducated knob

We don't even have yellow cards yet. Can't skip straight to VAR.

VAR stands for "value at risk" you uneducated knob

Not in the real world. It stands for Video Assistant Referee. No one knows what hipster acronym you're using.

They should start with judges trained in the sport, former fighters with no CTE preferred

imagine a guy gets hit in the eye with a knuckle (ie- a legit strike, not an eye poke), and falls to the ground in agony, ready to be finished on the ground with follow-up strikes. but... the referee jumps in and calls for a replay because he thought it was an eye poke.

replay shows legit strike. yet the advantage is clearly taken away.

now maybe if an illegal strike ends a match, i support a review. but i thought that was already in place in certain states?

Last edited:
Imagine stopping a fight to check instant replay only to give a fighter a warning every time.

Detection isn't the issue enforcement is

Video Assisted Referee was introduced to the Premier League and footballing world in general this year with the aim to make the sport more fair.

Would this work in MMA? An eye poke or low blow occurs. The referee could signal he is checking VAR

And then assess whether the foul occurred, whether it was intentional, and punish accordingly. At the moment fighters are getting away with far too much cheating. Eye pokes etc are never punished. It could even be used for strikes to the back of the head. Hendo KOs Fedor with illegal strikes to the back of the head. He celebrates. The crowd goes wild. Ref checks VAR. Clearly sees the strikes to the back of the head and Fedor wins via DQ. Could VAR be the answer?
Do you mean Athletic Commissions? Surely you know that UFC does not modify the rules state by state, eh TS? ;)

Various states have various types of "instant replay" or "instant review". New Jersey has led the way and had some form of it since 2007 (see here). See Minnesota rule #3 here. And of course there was the Weidman-Mousasi incident in New York a few years ago (no source needed).

Off the top of my head, I'm not sure which other states allow, but I think a few more do.

~~~

This is often one of those things that has been going on a long time, but the common fan isn't aware of it until something like Weidman-Mousasi. And then suddenly it's the best or worst thing to ever happen to the sport...for about a week. Then forgotten again. Me? Sure, I'm ok with limited instant replay. Most of the time it will help, but every now and again it will cause a lot of controversy.

Last edited:
I think football fans absolutely hate it. So nope.

No. At the moment they have it for "fight ending sequences" and that is plenty.

They need to get rid of it in football as well.

Back