Should the UFC have more PPVs

Silvaf

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
that are just exclusively one weight class? In another thread I talked about the idea of doing an all heavyweight main card every Memorial Day weekend card. I think it would be PPV gold. It seems everyone is excited for the GSP-Diaz card, which so far has 3 welterweights fights on the main card.

Would you be a pumped if they had an all middleweight main card like

Silva-Bisping
Lombard-Weidman
Belcher-Boestch
Cung Le- Chris Leben
Munoz-Palhares

or lightweight

Henderson-Pettis
Melendez-Maynard
Diaz-Lauzon
Varner-Miller
Guillard-Gomi

On paper it's not a BAD idea, but you gotta take into account the injury rate and the fact that people want to see "stacked cards" every time. If there isn't a card with all top 10's or mostly top 10's and a couple exciting fighters then they are pissed. Having a card of all one weight class would help with exposure but the star power would lose out and ultimately it would fail.

On paper it's also excellent because you could have actual tourneys.

It's an excellent idea in principal. The only problem is that it prevents the opportunity to hype the less high profile weight classes with a big name fight in another weight class. For example an all flyweight card wouldn't sell very well as not many fighters have name value yet in that weight class, same goes for bantam and feather. Better to have a big main event with a huge star and a co main with fighters from that weight class as these didvisions don't yet have the star power to carry a card on their own

9 of the top 5 HWS in the world? Sign me up!

more ppv's at a lower price would be good, but not so sure how it would work out financially speaking.

Do people really want to see all Heavyweight cards?
UFC-146-Dos-Santos-Mir-poster.jpg

All fights on the Main Card were finishes.... so yeah.

It's an excellent idea in principal. The only problem is that it prevents the opportunity to hype the less high profile weight classes with a big name fight in another weight class. For example an all flyweight card wouldn't sell very well as not many fighters have name value yet in that weight class, same goes for bantam and feather. Better to have a big main event with a huge star and a co main with fighters from that weight class as these didvisions don't yet have the star power to carry a card on their own

The flyweight card would be a tough sell on PPV no doubt, but I think they could do a FUEL TV card and perhaps not have all 5 fights at flyweight, maybe just do three - the main, co main and one to open the show.

that are just exclusively one weight class? In another thread I talked about the idea of doing an all heavyweight main card every Memorial Day weekend card. I think it would be PPV gold. It seems everyone is excited for the GSP-Diaz card, which so far has 3 welterweights fights on the main card.

Would you be a pumped if they had an all middleweight main card like

Silva-Bisping
Lombard-Weidman
Belcher-Boestch
Cung Le- Chris Leben
Munoz-Palhares

or lightweight

Henderson-Pettis
Melendez-Maynard
Diaz-Lauzon
Varner-Miller
Guillard-Gomi

While it might look great, I don't think people would be excited on most weight classes.
1) lighter weightclasses - many don't like them. Imagine a PPV with only BW??

2) You only have enough for 10 good fights (all top 10 fighting each other). The rest would be bitched and complained by anyone.

But on the positive side: no more catds scratched due to injuries. Just add one guy in the card as substitute and if someone gets injured, he joins up.

Nah, I like the way they mix up the weight divisions.

I would like an all
LHW night.

I think that WW and MW would be successful cause of GSP and Anderson.

I don't see LW and below doing that well.

But I think they would make excellent fox cards.

Imagine an 8 man tourney for the LW title on 3 fox cards.

It could really help the sport.

Good idea!

LHW Card

Jones vs Gustafsson
Evans vs Hendo
Shogun vs Machida 3
Rampage vs Sonnen
Teixeira vs Davis

The flyweight card would be a tough sell on PPV no doubt, but I think they could do a FUEL TV card and perhaps not have all 5 fights at flyweight, maybe just do three - the main, co main and one to open the show.

Its a good long term goal. I think it makes a lot of sense as you can focus on the implications these fights have on that weight class entirely, and the forecast of a weight class could be completely changed in one night which would add drama.

It Would act as a mini league/ tournament bracket which is a positive. However I still think even a card with a 3 FLW fight main event would be a hard sell without a marque name in the main event, and even then you would have complaints about paper thin cards from those who seem to have a vendetta against the smaller men.
For god's sake guys they have had it hard enough being called short all their lives, the least you could do is let them kick the s**t out of each other in a cage for our entertainment

Back