Should the UFC have a KO limit?

I'm surprised Frank Mir's brain isn't mush yet after getting knocked out in all his losses, at heavyweight where the men punching you in the head are giants. And he fought the biggest of them in Lesnar and Carwin, and they both brutalized him.

I'm certainly not a Mir fan, but I hope those KO's don't affect him too much down the road. Of course that's the hope for every fighter, but clearly some of them have suffered some permanent damage.

I still have trouble watching Carwin vs Mir

one of the worst stoppages in UFC history

This gets into the larger debate of should laws be made to protect people from themselves. Personally I'm of the opinion that as long as these guys are fully aware of the health risks associated with continuing to fight, and as long as they have been medically cleared, then the choice should be theirs to make.

This isnt limit to protect fighters from themselves. It is to protect the UFC from the fighters. Why should the UFC get bad press (which it would, more so than ever now that they are on FOX) because a fighter wanted to take risks? UFC needs to cut them. The only reason they dont cut Wand is because hes a big name that they dont want him in other orgs. They cant retire him like Chuck.

Head trauma is a serious issue in sports these days. Old NFL players have sued the league and the NFL in general was slow to react to head trauma. Boxing is much more fragmented and obviously has not done a lot to address this issue. Do you think the UFC should create a rule that bans a competitor after a certain number of true KOs?

It isn't a UFC thing, it's a commission thing.

Plus the issue is coming from frequent multiple concussions which isn't a major issue in MMA as far as they can tell. If you show any signs of going unconscious even for a split second, they stop the fight, and you are given a minimum of 30 days no contact to heel up.

This isnt limit to protect fighters from themselves. It is to protect the UFC from the fighters. Why should the UFC get bad press (which it would, more so than ever now that they are on FOX) because a fighter wanted to take risks? UFC needs to cut them. The only reason they dont cut Wand is because hes a big name that they dont want him in other orgs. They cant retire him like Chuck.
I think this is another reason why a "KO limit" so to speak isn't necessary. If the UFC feels a guy is done and they don't want the bad press they are free to cut him. Like you said, we saw it with Chuck. Also, while it would probably in Wanderlei's best interest to hang them up, in his last 4 fights he did almost finish Rich, finished Cung Le, and beat the number 2/3/4 MW in the world, so he's still competitive. Chuck really wasn't.

Good idea. While MMA is arguably safer than boxing (due to no 3 knockdown rule), head teauma is still a concern, especially with very late stoppages like Weidman-Munoz and Curran-Warren.

It won't work unless it also counts KO's during training. I feel there should be some cognitive testing done, just counting KO's seems a bit crude.

I don't like rules that protect you from yourself.

One fighter getting KOed too much for your liking? Stop giving him fights (cut him), or make him fight Jon Fitch. If someone wants to continue their career, who are you to stop them?

And how do you handle guys who take lots of blows to the head, but never get KOed? The long term effects of having a "good chin" and getting blasted 200 times over the course of your career might be much worse then having a glass jaw and only taking 10 good shots in your whole career (because you immediately hit the mat each time).

Those guys suing the NFL were hit repeatedly over a long period of time, and rarely got KTFO on the field (4 concussions in 120 games, while sad, is not frequent at all. I'd be more worried about the other 116 games, getting hit all day).

You cannot seriously say that "Never getting KO'd" will fuck your brain as bad as having a glass jaw.

Just look at Geroge Chuvalo, no boxing slur or visible brain damage. Guy had 93 pro boxing matches and fought 507 rounds...

Head trauma is a serious issue in sports these days. Old NFL players have sued the league and the NFL in general was slow to react to head trauma. Boxing is much more fragmented and obviously has not done a lot to address this issue. Do you think the UFC should create a rule that bans a competitor after a certain number of true KOs?

have you ever trained bro? people get concussions in training .. in the street.. do these count? stupid thread

You cannot seriously say that "Never getting KO'd" will fuck your brain as bad as having a glass jaw.

Just look at Geroge Chuvalo, no boxing slur or visible brain damage. Guy had 93 pro boxing matches and fought 507 rounds...

It's funny that you put "Never getting KO'd" in quotes, despite the fact that i never actually said anything like that.

You misunderstood my post. Read it again maybe.

its a tough topic.

studies have shown that more damage happens if you dont get knocked out and just continue to take the shots
No, the most recent studies have shown the exact opposite, although a combination of repeated head trauma and a few devastating concussions is obviously the worst scenario.

Back