Should the UFC have a KO limit?

Why would he get cut after a win when he only had 1 loss from a KO? Thats just retarded.

I completely forgot about this, so i looked it up. He had a brain hemorrhage, and it was determined that he would never be cleared, so they ended his contract.

Why didn't you just look it up if you didn't know why he was cut? THAT'S just retarded.

I completely forgot about this, so i looked it up. He had a brain hemorrhage, and it was determined that he would never be cleared, so they ended his contract.

Why didn't you just look it up if you didn't know why he was cut? THAT'S just retarded.

Being retarded, and being lazy and not giving a shit is two completely different things. Beside it was rhetorical.

Why would he get cut after a win when he only had 1 loss from a KO? Thats just retarded.

Well, as you can see he fought a few times after the cut. Then he ended up having problems getting cleared for a fight in Bellator. There were stories then of him wanting to retire if those things didn't get cleared up. They obviously didn't so maybe he retired. The point is that this was an example of the UFC saying that regardless of what any commission does, they didn't want this fighter risking his health in their octagon.

Being retarded, and being lazy and not giving a shit is two completely different things. Beside it was rhetorical.

I don't know, man...it would have taken much less effort to just look it up, then to post, read my reply, then post again.

Cro Cop would've been gone a long time ago

Guy looks dead everytime he gets slept

CroCopKOd.gif

I don't know, man...it would have taken much less effort to just look it up, then to post, read my reply, then post again.

No worries, I just didnt feel like looking into it. I did click the link to see how many wins/losses he had, just seemed odd that if he was cut that he was cut after a win, a few wins in a row i think, and only one loss was a KO.

At some point the sport will likely have to implement a rule like this: just as the NFL has.

its a tough topic.

studies have shown that more damage happens if you dont get knocked out and just continue to take the shots

TS desperately wanted to make an original thread.

I would probably go with mandatory MRI's every two years paid for by the UFC, if the doctors say that you shouldnt be in the octagon anymore than your cut and the commissions should recognize and enforce those findings, if you pass than your in.

Out of pure curiousity, you don't happen to have a source on the boxing<NFL linemen thing, do you?

I would have figured one of the major reason American football has such big issues was less of a focus on checking for concussions. In a fight nobody has any illusions about what just went down, so you're getting a check-up right after.

I did a report in college about 8 years ago about how repeated mild impacts affect the brain more negatively than less frequent and intense impacts. The basis of the report was a study done by the mayo clinic. I can't find the study at this time.

I subsequently became a firefighter/EMT and the theory was reinforced through study regarding the assessment of the mechanism of injury - a cumulative effect of secondary and tertiary trauma harmed the brain more than the more forceful initial impact (i.e. a head on vehicle collision vs. a vehicle rollover).

This is the best study I could find regarding your inquery:

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/03/15651165-contact-sports-leave-pattern-of-brain-injuries-study-finds?lite

This isn't a good idea, if the UFC decides to start banning fighters after a certain KO limit, they'll still have a chance to continue getting KOed because they'll start fighting in other MMA companies.

Fighters know the consequences of getting in a ring or the cage when they're going to be competing, athletes shouldn't sue companies like in Boxing, NFL or MMA. They know what could happen, it's nobody's fault but your own really. Shit happens, but to sue others about you getting hurt when you were doing something going in with the mindset that in a sport, anybody can get hurt because of their own doing, can't blame somebody else for their own fuck up.

Should the UFC have a KO limit? well, for fighters like Chuck, Wanderlei, and others, if Dana and the other guys that basically run the UFC see that you're taking a lot of punishment at a certain time in your career and being KO'd more often, then they will likely make you hang them up just like Chuck, he was forced to do so, he didn't want to stop fighting but they wouldn't let him fight again. Dana also thought about doing the same thing with Wanderlei as well, but the fighters know what could happen, and if I was a fighter, and I was KO'd viciously in many fights, I would have hung 'em up so I don't get seriously hurt so I can keep my health and be capable of spelling my own name in the future.

A fighter is responsible for his own choices and hopefully, he is surrounded by people that would have a serious discussion with him regarding health concerns.

Isn't rather tough to determine which is most detrimental to a fighter's mental longevity, a couple of ko's or repeated blows to the head that might not cause ko's but getting rocked time after time.

I'm surprised Frank Mir's brain isn't mush yet after getting knocked out in all his losses, at heavyweight where the men punching you in the head are giants. And he fought the biggest of them in Lesnar and Carwin, and they both brutalized him.

I'm certainly not a Mir fan, but I hope those KO's don't affect him too much down the road. Of course that's the hope for every fighter, but clearly some of them have suffered some permanent damage.

This gets into the larger debate of should laws be made to protect people from themselves. Personally I'm of the opinion that as long as these guys are fully aware of the health risks associated with continuing to fight, and as long as they have been medically cleared, then the choice should be theirs to make.

Any fighter that gets rocked even slightly from a strike receives a concussion, I don't think that's fair.
There's also multiple grades/levels of concussions. If a player received a serious, health-impacting concussion multiple times, then they should be notified of it, suspended from action, be told about their injury, have their trainers and doctors know about their injuries, and decide upon what to do for themselves.

Basically, use the same system that's in place. The current suspension from post-fight action system gives a lot of forced time off for fighters. The various commissions (and often the UFC) enforce this strongly, and do a lot of pre- and post-tests on fighters bodies, specifically their hearts, lungs, brain, and whatnot.

Granted, there will always be imperfections, but as we learn more about the human body, and we learn more about the body and how the body reacts to fighting in MMA, we will know how to prevent more injuries and problems of all sort, and have less and less likelihood of awful things happening.

And as we know all this, the more the fighter in question can learn more and more about their body, to help make the right choice of when to fight, when to rest, when to quit in a fight, and when to call it a career. There's also going to be freak cases, like what happened to Brian Foster (various brain issues).

I'm surprised Frank Mir's brain isn't mush yet after getting knocked out in all his losses, at heavyweight where the men punching you in the head are giants. And he fought the biggest of them in Lesnar and Carwin, and they both brutalized him.

I'm certainly not a Mir fan, but I hope those KO's don't affect him too much down the road. Of course that's the hope for every fighter, but clearly some of them have suffered some permanent damage.
Flash KO's timed so far apart from one another aren't going to effect his brain as much as if he was hit in the head repeatedly week after week after week like an NFL running back with minimal time to rest, especially with how strict the various State Commissions are with their medical contact and competition rulings and exams. I only wish the NFL had been that strict and prudent in their pursuit of "player safety." So, to sum it all up, in all likelihood, Mir, like most fighters in large US MMA promotions, will most likely be fine.

It's the lowly pro MMA fighters, and especially the amateur MMA fighters who are at the most risk. Those amateur fighters' health care, officiating, and overall quality and quantity of care are handled worse than animals by some state commissions IMO.

Back