Should the UFC have a KO limit?

nanika

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Head trauma is a serious issue in sports these days. Old NFL players have sued the league and the NFL in general was slow to react to head trauma. Boxing is much more fragmented and obviously has not done a lot to address this issue. Do you think the UFC should create a rule that bans a competitor after a certain number of true KOs?

No butvit should be taken note of also hanging In there maldanado style if far worse than going.to sleep.

I think I could get behind this. In the military, if a pilot ejects 4 times, he's grounded for life because of the shock on the body. I see no reason that this isn't a good idea. But they have to be straight up KO's. Glassed over, concussion, the works.

EDIT: Not KO's, just concussions. If you get 5 concussions (probably too many, but that's probably as low as they'd go) you're done.

I don't like rules that protect you from yourself.

One fighter getting KOed too much for your liking? Stop giving him fights (cut him), or make him fight Jon Fitch. If someone wants to continue their career, who are you to stop them?

And how do you handle guys who take lots of blows to the head, but never get KOed? The long term effects of having a "good chin" and getting blasted 200 times over the course of your career might be much worse then having a glass jaw and only taking 10 good shots in your whole career (because you immediately hit the mat each time).

Those guys suing the NFL were hit repeatedly over a long period of time, and rarely got KTFO on the field (4 concussions in 120 games, while sad, is not frequent at all. I'd be more worried about the other 116 games, getting hit all day).

Last edited:

One fighter getting KOed too much for your liking? Stop giving him fights (cut him), or make him fight Jon Fitch. If someone wants to continue their career, who are you to stop them?

What he is suggesting fits perfectly into what you're asking for.
He said the UFC, not the commissions, so their only sanction would be to cut the fighter.

I understand what you're saying that your in charge of your own like but sometimes you need that outside option to really make the right choice for yourself. Also I disagree with the bc by that time.the ufc will probably have cut you for losing anyway.

The Ref stops the fight where he sees the fighter can no longer continue and not defend anymore preventing serious damage. Unlike in boxing, the boxer chooses wether he wants to continue or not. So therefore, no there should not be a KO limit.

Yes, I think they should be only allowed 3 ko's per fight to recover from, after that, the ref should stop the fight.

What he is suggesting fits perfectly into what you're asking for.
He said the UFC, not the commissions, so their only sanction would be to cut the fighter.

If the fighter goes on a winning streak outside of the UFC, though, he would be banned from returning if such a rule were in effect.

I think I could get behind this. In the military, if a pilot ejects 4 times, he's grounded for life because of the shock on the body. I see no reason that this isn't a good idea. But they have to be straight up KO's. Glassed over, concussion, the works.

EDIT: Not KO's, just concussions. If you get 5 concussions (probably too many, but that's probably as low as they'd go) you're done.

Any fighter that gets rocked even slightly from a strike receives a concussion, I don't think that's fair.

If the fighter goes on a winning streak outside of the UFC, though, he would be banned from returning if such a rule were in effect.

Still fits just fine into your

One fighter getting KOed too much for your liking? Stop giving him fights (cut him)

Something close to a real life example would be Brian Foster.
http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Brian-Foster-17723

Kicked on a win because the UFC didn't want him dying in the octagon. Not directly because of KOs though.

And how do you handle guys who take lots of blows to the head, but never get KOed? The long term effects of having a "good chin" and getting blasted 200 times over the course of your career might be much worse then having a glass jaw and only taking 10 good shots in your whole career (because you immediately hit the mat each time).

Those guys suing the NFL were hit repeatedly over a long period of time, and rarely got KTFO on the field (4 concussions in 120 games, while sad, is not frequent at all. I'd be more worried about the other 116 games, getting hit all day).

I agree completely with your statement. It's actually been shown that getting knocked out is not nearly as damaging to your brain as taking multiple hits for a greater cumulative effect. The primary impact (foreign object striking your head) is not as damaging as the secondary impact (your brain bouncing around inside of your skull). That's why athletes in sports where their heads are more heavily shielded suffer much more brain damage than ones where they aren't (i.e. Brain damage in MMA < boxing < NFL linemen).

That's why athletes in sports where their heads are more heavily shielded suffer much more brain damage than ones where they aren't (i.e. Brain damage in MMA < boxing < NFL linemen).

Out of pure curiousity, you don't happen to have a source on the boxing<NFL linemen thing, do you?

I would have figured one of the major reason American football has such big issues was less of a focus on checking for concussions. In a fight nobody has any illusions about what just went down, so you're getting a check-up right after.

Back