Should the UFC create "Insurance" fighters for big fights?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Ar145984, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Ar145984

Ar145984 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Millions of dollars are poured and at risk in fights like McGregor vs Jose Aldo, McGregor vs RDA, etc.

Do you believe for very large fights, like championship fights, the UFC should have "insurance" fighters that are paid a salary in order to train for preparation of the fight. Each fighter could have an insured fighter that are in similar rank and skillset. For example, in the case of the Jose Aldo fight, having Mendes or Frankie "insured" in case something happens. If the main fighter does pull out then the insured fighter takes over.

Of course, the fighter faces the risk of never having to actually fight, but this is where the salary compensates for their time. The salary should be a premium as to not be detrimental to the UFC's business.

I'm just taking the perspective of what I believe any business would do in a situation where large capital is at large risk, fighter injuries are a large risk but the cost are much greater and can be hedged by having backups.

There are some elements that complicate this, like fighters feeling like they may need to train for two different fighters, but in reality since fighters can always be injured and replaced on short notice is this really that big a difference?

piepie likes this.
  2. Byron Pechorin

Byron Pechorin Top Level Human

Kind of like how K1 used to have alternates. I'm pretty sure the UFC does have a list of "contingencies" in place though. Maybe they just don't make it public so they don't take away from the attraction of the fight in place.

3. joeyjoejoe

joeyjoejoe Silver Belt

They have a system like this in place already, instead of having a fighter ready though they throw money around and take what they can get.

bad seed likes this.
  4. wlu29

wlu29 Banned Banned

Sounds reasonable

5. beastman

beastman Silver Belt

Better idea is to try to stack events with a couple bouts that you can pluck a fighter from.

6. piepie

piepie Blue Belt

good topic i agree good suggestion...

7. MarleyLynx

MarleyLynx Black Belt

They usually do. Chad was being paid since first week of June for the Aldo/Mcg fight

8. BlueMerle

BlueMerle Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Or some of these fighters could stop sparring like cavemen and getting injured.

soulsstealer likes this.
  9. Lanshire

Lanshire Silver Belt

I've said for years that for any main event/title fight, the UFC should have a standby fighter on deck. Just someone that would make an interesting matchup if either of the two scheduled fighters have to back out. Pay that guy some money to stay close to fight shape, but not normal fight salary unless he actually has to fight. Plus, announce to the fans who the standby is. That way if one of the fighters in the fight is injured, the standby fighter steps in and the quality of the card isn't diminished as much.