Should the U.S. Have a vote on brining in the metric system

Arguments against summerized:
This is how we've always done it.
Communism
Arguments for:
Logical
Getting on board with the rest of the world

The imperial system is so bad compared to the metric system that it's downright hilarious that some still use the former.

To have one unit for each physical quantity that you can use with prefixes and decimals to the desired scale and accuracy is just vastly more efficient.

The imperial system has 14 units for length alone, if I remember all of them, which is just terrible to use.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilogram-force

see: Any sport ever that measures weight in kilograms (like weightlifting). It's because people conflate their mass with their weight and are idiots so it got adopted.

From your own link

Kilogram-force is a non-standard unit and does not comply with the SI Metric System.

Also are you being intentionally retarded? honest question since im pretty sure you are aware the weight classes in MMA are given in POUNDS (AKA MASS) not slugs.

The imperial system is so bad compared to the metric system that it's downright hilarious that some still use the former.

To have one unit for each physical quantity that you can use with prefixes and decimals to the desired scale and accuracy is just vastly more efficient.

The imperial system has 14 units for length alone, if I remember all of them, which is just terrible to use.

Except when dividing by 3.

From your own link

Kilogram-force is a non-standard unit and does not comply with the SI Metric System.

Also are you being intentionally retarded? honest question since im pretty sure you are aware the weight classes in MMA are given in POUNDS (AKA MASS) not slugs.

Pounds are force, slugs are mass. Try again.

And if you want to talk about ultimate fighting, Pride used the metric system and weighed in fighters in kilograms (which is a mass, not a weight).

Except when dividing by 3.

Only in some cases and that "issue" with the metric system isn't even remotely close to the problems with the inconsistent imperial system.

Who the fuck in day to day life would give a shit about how many yards are in 1.2 miles...

It makes life easier imo. First the gap from cm/dm to m is massive. Having the foot is great for day to day life. For example saying your height in metric is ridiculous. 1.829m, 18.228 dm, 182.88 cm. 6 foot or 72 inches.

Celsius should be left in labs as well. Going of freezing and boiling points is stupid for day to day life. F 0 is quite cold, 100 is pretty hot. C 0 is mildly cold 100 is dead... too big of a gap.
Brilliant post.

Laughed my ass off.

Pounds are force, slugs are mass. Try again.

And if you want to talk about ultimate fighting, Pride used the metric system and weighed in fighters in kilograms (which is a mass, not a weight).

Holy shit man if i were you i would simply accept that i fucked up and hope people forget about your stupidity.

Pounds is the imperial unit of mass

The troy pound (373.2417216 g) was made the primary unit of mass by the 1824 Act; however, its use was abolished in the UK on 1 January 1879,[27] with only the troy ounce (31.1034768 g) and its decimal subdivisions retained.[28] The Weights and Measures Act 1855 (18 & 19 Victoria C72) made the avoirdupois pound the primary unit of mass.[29] In all the systems, the fundamental unit is the pound, and all other units are defined as fractions or multiples of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_units#Mass_and_weight

You are right when it comes to the slug, its also mass.

In fact it just shows how outdated the imperial system is that it doesnt even has a unit of force at all.

So basically what you are bitching about the metric system is what happens with the imperial system.

Metric system has its own unit of mass and force, the imperial doesnt.

As to why people use mass instead of newtons? because for mass was standarized based on weight, when people decided to create a unit of mass they used weight.

For 99.999% of the applications out there people use mas and weights interchangeably because we are all subject to the same gravitational pull.

Thats why in a lab you use a scale (measures weight) to determine the mass of reactives.

Only in some cases and that "issue" with the metric system isn't even remotely close to the problems with the inconsistent imperial system.

Imperial system is based off of measured values, which are most likely not going to be convenient regardless of the standard. Dealing with 1 eV is much easier for calculations/rough estimations than 1.602e-19 J. One is grounded in the topic, with electrons, while the other is just generic energy.

Who the fuck in day to day life would give a shit about how many yards are in 1.2 miles...

It makes life easier imo. First the gap from cm/dm to m is massive. Having the foot is great for day to day life. For example saying your height in metric is ridiculous. 1.829m, 18.228 dm, 182.88 cm. 6 foot or 72 inches.

Celsius should be left in labs as well. Going of freezing and boiling points is stupid for day to day life. F 0 is quite cold, 100 is pretty hot. C 0 is mildly cold 100 is dead... too big of a gap.

1.- I have, when someone tells you its down the road aproximately 400 yards, do you dont want to calculate if its worth walk.

2.- Its not huge, its base 10 the next unit its always 10 times greater, and lol at claiming 1.82 is retarded when you use 6'0" you use the same amount of numbers, but the differences between the heights are not visually measurable since its base 12 and we only have 10 numbers, so its harder to visualize for example if someone says 5.9 vs 6 one would assume that its only 1inche difference, but its not. If we had 12 numbers it would make more sense.

3.- Celsius is not metric system that would be kelvin.

Holy shit man if i were you i would simply accept that i fucked up and hope people forget about your stupidity.

Pounds is the imperial unit of mass

The troy pound (373.2417216 g) was made the primary unit of mass by the 1824 Act; however, its use was abolished in the UK on 1 January 1879,[27] with only the troy ounce (31.1034768 g) and its decimal subdivisions retained.[28] The Weights and Measures Act 1855 (18 & 19 Victoria C72) made the avoirdupois pound the primary unit of mass.[29] In all the systems, the fundamental unit is the pound, and all other units are defined as fractions or multiples of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_units#Mass_and_weight

You are right when it comes to the slug, its also mass.

In fact it just shows how outdated the imperial system is that it doesnt even has a unit of force at all.

So basically what you are bitching about the metric system is what happens with the imperial system.

Metric system has its own unit of mass and force, the imperial doesnt.

As to why people use mass instead of newtons? because for mass was standarized based on weight, when people decided to create a unit of mass they used weight.

For 99.999% of the applications out there people use mas and weights interchangeably because we are all subject to the same gravitational pull.

Thats why in a lab you use a scale (measures weight) to determine the mass of reactives.
-ChLzm.gif

What?

Inches and feet are much more relevant for day to day life.

A temperature scale in which most people will be subjected to in Fahrenheit is 0-100. In Celsius it's -18 to 38 degrees. Stupid.

No, they are not. Inches are clumsy when you want to measure smaller things, feet are too short to measure most distances, hopping between different scaled units is really clumsy construction, and these units aren't base 10 as our numerical system is which is also clumsy. The only reason you find it relevant is because you're used to it. Well, that and that you clearly don't seem to know enough about the metric system, since you've said things like that the jump from cm/dm to meters is massive, which is utterly illogical unless you just don't know what you're talking about.

Basing a temperature scale on the weather is not very bright either since you encounter temperatures beyond that daily, for example in cooking (not to mention that most warm countries go above 38 degrees C very often, especially when you're in direct sunlight, so the 0-100 scale certainly doesn't cover that). The Fahrenheit scale is so arbitrary, while the Celsius scale roots the numbers in two common and easy to grasp phenomenons to put it in context and make it easy to relate to. Just as one example, the 0 point on the Fahrenheit scale was defined by the temperature of a solution of equal parts brine and ice. Really useful...

No, it's too late now. It would cost a fortune to convert everything over. Just signs on the roads and highways would be cost prohibitive.

Plus, America, fuck yeah.

1.- I have, when someone tells you its down the road aproximately 400 yards, do you dont want to calculate if its worth walk.

2.- Its not huge, its base 10 the next unit its always 10 times greater, and lol at claiming 1.82 is retarded when you use 6'0" you use the same amount of numbers, but the differences between the heights are not visually measurable since its base 12 and we only have 10 numbers, so its harder to visualize for example if someone says 5.9 vs 6 one would assume that its only 1inche difference, but its not. If we had 12 numbers it would make more sense.

3.- Celsius is not metric system that would be kelvin.

Nobody has ever said something like that to me and I know roughly what 400 yards is and 400 x 3 isn't difficult. They would say it's about a 1/4 mile or a 1/10th mile. Nobody is going to say, oh yeah sure it's about 2000 yards down the road...

It's not huge? You don't think 3.9 inches to 39 inches isn't a big jump for day to day size descriptions. It's just 6'. I don't tell people I'm 6 foot 0 inches. I would have to say 1.82 though. If I was 5'11" I would also just say 5 11. Nobody says they are 5.9'...

I didn't say Celsius was metric. I said it should also fuck off.

Arguments against summerized:
This is how we've always done it.
Communism
Arguments for:
Logical
Getting on board with the rest of the world

It's taught in school and is used in the science and medical fields...

Do you want to outlaw Big Milk from selling in gallons or make the NFL use yards?

Are we voting on putting the metric system in a salt water solution for cooking?

Nobody has ever said something like that to me and I know roughly what 400 yards is and 400 x 3 isn't difficult. They would say it's about a 1/4 mile or a 1/10th mile. Nobody is going to say, oh yeah sure it's about 2000 yards down the road...

It's not huge? You don't think 3.9 inches to 39 inches isn't a big jump for day to day size descriptions. It's just 6'. I don't tell people I'm 6 foot 0 inches. I would have to say 1.82 though. If I was 5'11" I would also just say 5 11. Nobody says they are 5.9'...

I didn't say Celsius was metric. I said it should also fuck off.

1.- LOL so you dont use the imperial system, you just grab a standard unit you like and then use multiples and divisions just like the metric system. Of course nobody uses yards and miles interchangeably, its because the system is so retarded you cant.

2.- Again, the only unit is the meter and all others are just moving the decimal dot from one point another, the reason why you think its a problem is because you have been forced to learn several units and then use them together to try and piece a working measurement.

If you are trying to measure a piece of wood you have to go feet, inches, and fraction of inches, in the metric system you simply move all the way to the end and then write a single number for a single unit of measurement, since they are all already multiples and fractions of the same unit.

3.- First of all 1.82 is far more precise and uses the same amount of numbers, if you need precision in the imperial system you are forced to use decimal points of a single unit, which leads you to a point where you would have 2 different values for the same measurement which would lead to either too big of a number, or a number that its complicted to wield with 10 numbers.

All that shit you hate about the decimal system, you already do with the imperial but with added complication. Its like a chinese person telling an american that the english language is complicated. Its not, its actually pretty easy.

Imperial system works in commerce and where precision is not needed.

There is basically no argument, with 10 numbers a base 10 system is going to be better. If we had 12 numbers then a base 12 system would be better, and while the imperial system has some base 12 elements, its not a base 12 system either.

No, it's too late now. It would cost a fortune to convert everything over. Just signs on the roads and highways would be cost prohibitive.

Plus, America, fuck yeah.

I think the biggest issue would be tools.

No, they are not. Inches are clumsy when you want to measure smaller things, feet are too short to measure most distances, hopping between different scaled units is really clumsy construction, and these units aren't base 10 as our numerical system is which is also clumsy. The only reason you find it relevant is because you're used to it. Well, that and that you clearly don't seem to know enough about the metric system, since you've said things like that the jump from cm/dm to meters is massive, which is utterly illogical unless you just don't know what you're talking about.

Basing a temperature scale on the weather is not very bright either since you encounter temperatures beyond that daily, for example in cooking (not to mention that most warm countries go above 38 degrees C very often, especially when you're in direct sunlight, so the 0-100 scale certainly doesn't cover that). The Fahrenheit scale is so arbitrary, while the Celsius scale roots the numbers in two common and easy to grasp phenomenons to put it in context and make it easy to relate to. Just as one example, the 0 point on the Fahrenheit scale was defined by the temperature of a solution of equal parts brine and ice. Really useful...

I said day to day stuff.

3.9 to 39 is a big jump...

It got to 120f earlier this year here. I wasn't using 0-100 as a scale for F. It was an example of normal temperatures most people will experience. I can widen it to -20 to 120 if you'd like. Celsius would be -28 to 53... The only time when cooking I use an actual temperature is with an oven and I'm just following a recipe or box suggestion. Easy to relate to. C scale goes from 32 to 212. You literally will probably never use 35-40 degrees on that scale.

Back