Opinion Should the non-profit sector be run more like the for-profit sector?

Tycho- Taylor's Version

Wild ferocious creature
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Interesting talk on beliefs that are limiting the performance of the non-profit sector:

Those beliefs include:
1. Executives of non-profit organizations should not be compensated competitively
2. Non-profits shouldn't spend money on advertising
3. Non-profits should take less risk in pursuit of revenue
4. Non-profits need to contribute funds to the needy quickly rather than building scale
5. Non-profits should not pay profit to attract capital

I thought this speaker was very good, but I'm having a hard time differentiating his message from one that says: the non-profit sector can't function for-profit because the funding isn't there, but let's run it as if it's for-profit anyways.

What's the proper interpretation here?

Maybe I’m just cynical but I always thought the main goal of nonprofits was to enrich their executives and pay associated for profits to raise money.

Wouldn't not spending money on advertising hurt getting the word out?

It already is. Non-profit is essentially a tax strategy for business. If you look closely you will see that a great many non-profits actually own for profit companies.

Non-profits are required to have boards of directors. Maybe tighten rules on who's allowed as a board member. I'd also like a label like on food but it shows how much money they took in, how much went to overhead and how much was used for actual charity.

Back