Should "The Mauler" vs "The Dream Catcher" be a #1 contenders match?

marksmen

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I think it should be. Obviously if Gus wins he will get the next shot but if Mousasi wins so should he. Mousasi has won 5 in a row with four first round finishes, and a win over Gus would be 6. Winner of this fight will give Jones his toughest fight to date. Thoughts?

I'd say yes but the fact that its on Fuel makes me think not

I think it should be. Obviously if Gus wins he will get the next shot but if Mousasi wins so should he. Mousasi has won 5 in a row with four first round finishes, and a win over Gus would be 6. Winner of this fight will give Jones his toughest fight to date. Thoughts?

Bold: not sure if true.

Machida/Hendo winner will likely get a shot at JJ first. DC might even be given a shot before him.

Hendo should get a shot if he wins, if not then the winner of this gets the shot.

Bold: not sure if true.

Machida/Hendo winner will likely get a shot at JJ first. DC might even be given a shot before him.

They will prolly give it to Hendo/Machida winner but Gus will wait for it if he has to. I think he will have earned it.

They will prolly give it to Hendo/Machida winner but Gus will wait for it if he has to. I think he will have earned it.

He would be in line but timeline would make him have to fight I think. JJ fights 4/27. His next fight would likely be in the fall. Against Hendo/Machida. So Gus would have to wait until Dec. the earliest and only if they don't skip him with DC.

That would mean waiting 7 months for a possible shot at the belt.

Not necessarily. I mean, I wouldn't mind that the winner of the match goes on to get a title fight, but it's unnecessary to advertise it as a #1 contender's bout because we all know that Hendo/Machida/Cormier might go first for different reasons.

No.

1 - Hendo is clearly in line and should get it with a Machida win.
2 - #1 contender's fights on Fuel is a stupid, stupid idea. Nobody is watching.

It might be, there is no doubt that Gus is getting close and Mousasi has been around forever. I guess It'd depend on how Machida v Hendo goes...

Yes, there's only these two gentlemen to face Jones in this division.

Hendo should get a shot if he wins, if not then the winner of this gets the shot.

I know there's an incredible amount of hope for Hendo, but he poses no threat to jones.. Same as chael. Jones will stand out of their range and pick them apart. IMO a wasted year with jones fighting sonnen and hendo. I would like to see real threats to the title

Only a spectacular finish should secure a title shot. :icon_arro We shall see if these guys can do that.

Back