Should the later rounds reward more points?

It’s a sport/game, not a street fight. In this game they win on points not who did the best at the end

Just because someone is winning at the end of the 3rd round, doesn't mean that they will win if the fight continues in perpetuity. In fact, it's probably more likely that the fighter who controlled more of the fight will regain control

MMA scoring sucks! I really liked the PRIDE scoring where they judged the fight as a whole and not by round. If one guy gets a 10-8 rd. in a 3 rd. fight, he is almost guaranteed at least a draw, no matter what he does in the other 2 rds. I don't have all the answers, but I do know that the boxing scoring system is not right for our sport. Ask Joe Rogan.

Unpopular opinion: Judges should score every round 10-9, then at the end of the fight, have the opportunity to revise any round to a 10-8 if that round was more dominant than the other rounds on a relative basis.

The notion of an "objective" 10-8 round is too frail with uncertainty. But it's much more common to have two close rounds and one very clear round.
Pretty sure they already fill out the score and or revise at the end.

I've long been a proponent of revising scoring with 10-8s being rounds which were competitive, but nearly impossible to score for the fighter on the losing end; whereas 10-9s would be close rounds where one fighter edged the other.

A 10-7 would be a dominating round (possibly a barely surviving or saved by the bell scenario or something.)

That would generally require a rule or policy change, though.
The problem with this notion is the amount of rounds in MMA fights. With just 3 rounds, this would lead to a lot of unwarranted draws

Maybe the first round should count more. That’s when real fights are decided. Fights hardly ever last more than a couple of minutes.
Easy fix! First and last rounds count as double. So 3 or 5 round fights would be scored like 5 or 7 rounds and they'll need to start or end strong!

Unpopular opinion: Judges should score every round 10-9, then at the end of the fight, have the opportunity to revise any round to a 10-8 if that round was more dominant than the other rounds on a relative basis.

The notion of an "objective" 10-8 round is too frail with uncertainty. But it's much more common to have two close rounds and one very clear round.
Liked for the interesting and practical take on round by round discrepancies in scoring, but I do think with commissions running the spectrum from ignorant to outright corrupt, setting a precedent where they can edit scores afterwards, but before a winner is announced is scary.

Ideally, if we 100% trusted the judges and commissions behind them, this is a pretty great idea

The problem with this notion is the amount of rounds in MMA fights. With just 3 rounds, this would lead to a lot of unwarranted draws

To clarify, two 10-9s in very close rounds followed by an 8-10 because the other fighter is trying to avoid the loss?

To clarify, two 10-9s in very close rounds followed by an 8-10 because the other fighter is trying to avoid the loss?
I guess you’d have to define a 10-8 better. You said originally a “competitive round with a clear winner”. I just feel like if the round is still competitive it shouldn’t warrant a 10-8 and thus a draw if the winner of the round lost the last 2 rounds… even if by a slim margin.. I still agree with the overall premise of your argument that 10-8s should be used far more frequently, and a fighter shouldn’t have to beat another half to death to earn one.

Honestly the PFL live score/fan vote system would be the way to go
They do points, like out of 100, and while similar to a 10 point system, it allows for a more detailed and rewarding system
Should a round that was decisive but not a total ass whooping be valued the same as a round that is barely eeked out and could go either way??

I guess you’d have to define a 10-8 better. You said originally a “competitive round with a clear winner”. I just feel like if the round is still competitive it shouldn’t warrant a 10-8 and thus a draw if the winner of the round lost the last 2 rounds… even if by a slim margin.. I still agree with the overall premise of your argument that 10-8s should be used far more frequently, and a fighter shouldn’t have to beat another half to death to earn one.

I'm ok with more draws if the guy winning by a slim margin just tries to coast in the third and avoid damage.

And by competitive, I mean that the other guy isn't getting manhandled.

I'm not the one to write the rules/criteria; but here's a scenario:

5 round fight: One fighter edging out another slightly in the first 4 rounds, then gets saved by the bell and totally dominated in the 5th round which was near being stopped on more than one occasion. That's a draw at least.

If they're keeping it a run out the clock (and I'm not talking the last 10 seconds) type of sport, then by all means they can keep the same rules.
If they want action, more finishes, and less gamesmanship, we need to see more point deductions, and new scoring. I believe that there should be a place for 10-7 and even 10-5 rounds.

Look at Figueroa/Benavidez 2. Figueroa dropped him what, 3 times? Had 1-2 close subs early in the round, and if Benavidez had been able to defend the fight ending choke for another 12 seconds, there would've been judges giving him 8 out of a possible 10 points on the scorecard.

Also, judges who do give weird scores need to be able to explain why they judged a fight in a certain way to some sort of commission.

I apparently have a lot of opinions on this one.

Last edited:
If anything, only the last round. In a 3 round fight , if your down two rounds and go balls to the walls, there would be too many draws.

Absolutely not. Every round should be scored equally.

At what age did you start watching MMA? At 3?

I'm ok with more draws if the guy winning by a slim margin just tries to coast in the third and avoid damage.

And by competitive, I mean that the other guy isn't getting manhandled.

I'm not the one to write the rules/criteria; but here's a scenario:

5 round fight: One fighter edging out another slightly in the first 4 rounds, then gets saved by the bell and totally dominated in the 5th round which was near being stopped on more than one occasion. That's a draw at least.

If they're keeping it a run out the clock (and I'm not talking the last 10 seconds) type of sport, then by all means they can keep the same rules.
If they want action, more finishes, and less gamesmanship, we need to see more point deductions, and new scoring. I believe that there should be a place for 10-7 and even 10-5 rounds.

Look at Figueroa/Benavidez 2. Figueroa dropped him what, 3 times? Had 1-2 close subs early in the round, and if Benavidez had been able to defend the fight ending choke for another 12 seconds, there would've been judges giving him 8 out of a possible 10 points on the scorecard.

Also, judges who do give weird scores need to be able to explain why they judged a fight in a certain way to some sort of commission.

I apparently have a lot of opinions on this one.
I can get behind more 10-8s and even 10-7s.. but mma judges are so incompetent that idk how they implement this without it leading to a shit ton of controversial decisions

I can get behind more 10-8s and even 10-7s.. but mma judges are so incompetent that idk how they implement this without it leading to a shit ton of controversial decisions

Competent proven judges that are held accountable for their judgement.

So...Pride rules?
that's twat I was thinking.

And no way. I know people don't like the idea but transparent scoring between rounds is the most progressive thing we might need and the no-brainer thing we need is to get the fuck off boxing scoring. 10 point must has got to go.

We just need yellow cards, I like the unified scoring system, judges education and scoring transparency needs work but overall the criteria is good.

Sounds like a recipe for corruption. Or even if not corruption, then favoritism. The current approach commits the judges to what they just watched. Allowing retroactive revisions is too permissive.

Back