Opinion Should South Edmonton Bar be shut down?

No, they should not be forced to close. Patrons are responsible for their drinking limit.

Now if it was freezing outside and the guy did not have transport, leading to him freezing to death, then I can see reason to shut them down.

In my experience, most bartenders won't kick someone out for being "too drunk". Theyll kick people out for acting like assholes.

This guy left with a friend. How or why he ended up alone and dying in a snowbank has very little to do with the bar.
Bars kick out guys all the time once they get stumbling or clumsy drunk and look like they will pass out of puke.

And YES indeed, depending on the circumstances in a place like Edmonton in the cold of winter, if they kicked out a stumbling drunk person who looked about to pass out, the bar should and could be held accountable if that person dies from exposure.

Not saying that is what happened here. Just saying that would be a scenario where the bar SHOULD be held accountable.

Last edited:
Caveat Emptor. The kid wasn't forced to drink. He chose to get so drunk he couldn't even walk home. While it's a tragedy for his family, it's not the fault of the bar staff or owners.
I don't get that.

I was in a bar this past summer where a a bouncer saw someone sitting in a chair in the bar basically passed out. He gently shook the guy and got him up and walked him to the door and took him out. I did not see what happened with the guy after but if it was Minus 40 in Edmonton where they warn people can die in minutes if left to exposure do you not think the bouncer has some duty of care to not push the guy out the door? Take it further, and what if the bouncer sees the guy immediately pass out, would you say he should not have to help or bring him back in?

I put full onus on a sober person for their choose to drink, while they are sober. ONce they are hammered drunk and the bar is just serving them because they still have money, then the bar gets some responsibility.

Last edited:
So tell me then, if a person is sitting away in a corner quietly sipping on something and is drunk, then leaves with a friend in a good enough state to get to a gas station, how is it practicable that should they come to some harm, the bar is responsible? Does Canada not have the principle ‘novus actus intervenus’?

No. In Canada they hold bars and servers to a ridiculous extent.

We had a cases where employers buy their employees a couple drinks on an outing but have a policy, 'if you take the drinks you must not drive and we will supply a taxi'. Instead the employee has instead snuck off to another bar before going home and then to their car and got in an accident and sued the employer and bar and won against both the employer and bar.

No
It's not the bar's responsibility to buy him a jacket.
He needs to buy his own jacket, or ask his parents to buy him one.

And btw, how do you live in Canada without a jacket?
That's unheard of, especially in November!

Wow Canadian laws can be looney. In the States overserving is a punchline.

No
It's not the bar's responsibility to buy him a jacket.
He needs to buy his own jacket, or ask his parents to buy him one.

And btw, how do you live in Canada without a jacket?
That's unheard of, especially in November!
its actually pretty common for Canadians to go out to the bars with no coat even in minus 20+ weather because its a pain to check a winter coat. I used to do often as well. We are made of hearty stuff.

Wow Canadian laws can be looney. In the States overserving is a punchline.

Here is a case I remember well as it actually pushed the NORMAL bounds of who is responsible for another persons drinking in Canada. Here is the cliffs

- Small real estate office in N.Ontario has office Xmas party
- office had policy that if you drink you don't drive. They will provide taxi if you don't have ride
- woman said she had a ride but actually went to another bar to drink more
- woman goes to her car and drives and smashes head on to other car and ends up with brain damage
- woman then sues HERSELF, THE BAR and her OFFICE and the EMPLOYER's head office (deep pockets) Sutton Real Estate
- judge awards her just over $1M in damages and says Sutton is 75% responsible ($700k), Bar/Her Boss and its Head Office are 25% are JOINTLY responsible.
- The bar goes bankrupt to avoid paying and her boss small real estate office also has to go close
- but Sutton (head office) now responsible for the entire 25% appeals and wins based on a technicality
- Suttons Insurance company settles with her for an undisclosed amount rather than go to court again.

Drunk-driving lawsuit ruling tossed by court

Hunt's lawsuit settled out of court

In your experience are the trashy bits of Edmonton about on par with those areas in Calgary or worse?

I'm not familiar with Calgary's bar scene at all, only Edmonton's.

This seems like an example of our modern outrage culture where getting people fired is more desirable to most than getting someone charged with a crime.

Cmon now, York. I know you're very conservative from what I've seen you post before, but... This place is bad enough to be unanimously considered a big enough shithole by everyone; people of all ages liberal or conservative who've been been lucky enough to experience it.

To get twenty three thousand plus people who usually can't agree on anything to want to shut down a bar is insane. The place clearly has some major problems. As I've pointed out earlier when the running joke that you're too old to belong in the place if you're of legal drinking age... well that speaks volumes.

its actually pretty common for Canadians to go out to the bars with no coat even in minus 20+ weather because its a pain to check a winter coat. I used to do often as well. We are made of hearty stuff.
what the fuck you talking about, nobody other than you and drunk idiots do that.

Unfortunately we have at least a couple of kids die every winter here because they try to walk home alone when drunk. Usually drownings. Pretty sad but not worth closing anything over. Personal responsibility and all.

The bar's goal should be to sell as much booze as possible. If the person drinking is of age, then they need to know their own limit.

Seems like nobody needs to take responsibility for their actions anymore.

Do car salesmen get sued because they sold too many vehicles which have contributed to air pollution?

If they can prove it violated any laws or rules regarding the serving of alcohol shut them down, otherwise no.

Are you from Saskatoon?

Back