Opinion Should South Edmonton Bar be shut down?

I don't think they should be shut down, not based on what the article says anyway. Perhaps if they kicked him out in the cold and wouldn't let him get his coat or something, but the article didn't say why he didn't have his jacket. They could have called him a cab I guess, but normally it's not hard to find a cab outside the popular bars. If the bar sent him home with a friend who wasn't too hammered as they say, there's no reason for them not to think that the drunk guy wouldn't get home safely.

I don't think they should be shut down, not based on what the article says anyway. Perhaps if they kicked him out in the cold and wouldn't let him get his coat or something, but the article didn't say why he didn't have his jacket. They could have called him a cab I guess, but normally it's not hard to find a cab outside the popular bars. If the bar sent him home with a friend who wasn't too hammered as they say, there's no reason for them not to think that the drunk guy wouldn't get home safely.

Honestly the friend's story sounds a little suspect to me. Supposedly they were across the street after the incident and he just 'disappeared.'

Maybe they got in an argument and the friend doesn't want to get blamed?

In my experience, most bartenders won't kick someone out for being "too drunk". Theyll kick people out for acting like assholes.

This guy left with a friend. How or why he ended up alone and dying in a snowbank has very little to do with the bar.

I'm a believer in personal accountability, so no the bar shouldn't be shut down because a grown ass man overdrank.

No, personal responsibility. They should fave fines for serving an under aged person. The family is also free to pursue a wrongful death case, IMO. Sad shit for the family.

No, personal responsibility. They should fave fines for serving an under aged person. The family is also free to pursue a wrongful death case, IMO. Sad shit for the family.
18 is the legal drinking age in Alberta, he was there drinking legally.

18 is the legal drinking age in Alberta, he was there drinking legally.

Then disregard that part. How are the wrongful death cases handled up there?

Legal age is 18 here. Then again, maybe I'm lying.

Go gossip about me some more with the other hens.

Poor Yorkist got his feelings hurt that I @ him in the lounge. Stop being a shit troll. Im trying to advance the conversation, and learn a bit more. You want to go ahead and answer my question? How do wrongful death cases work in Canada? Is it similar to the US? If you dont want to answer it just troll some more, you arent good at it, but it seems to be all you do.

Poor Yorkist got his feelings hurt that I @ him in the lounge. Stop being a shit troll. Im trying to advance the conversation, and learn a bit more. You want to go ahead and answer my question? How do wrongful death cases work in Canada? Is it similar to the US? If you dont want to answer it just troll some more, you arent good at it, but it seems to be all you do.

Like most things here, they are super lenient. I said in another thread, we don't have prison or jails in Canada. We have adult daycare centers.

First degree criminal gang bangers who shoot people broad day in-front of residential family neighborhoods get to wear gang clothing in jail, or gucci, prada etc and they use recording studios in prison to record music about murdering people.

All the tax payers pay for this. I think you will think I am trolling but I am not and can provide evidence if need be.

Like most things here, they are super lenient. I said in another thread, we don't have prison or jails in Canada. We have adult daycare centers.

First degree criminal gang bangers who shoot people broad day in-front of residential family neighborhoods get to wear gang clothing in jail, or gucci, prada etc and they use recording studios in prison to record music about murdering people.

All the tax payers pay for this. I think you will think I am trolling but I am not and can provide evidence if need be.

Im not a fan of the US prison system as I dont think it does enough to reform. How is it up there with repeat offenders? The way you describe it, the likability sounds super high as well.

Im not a fan of the US prison system as I dont think it does enough to reform. How is it up there with repeat offenders? The way you describe it, the likability sounds super high as well.

Doesn't matter repeat or not. You go to the adult daycare center where you can record your next mix-tape and walk around wearing absolutely whatever you want.

The place should be shut down, but not even because of this.

If any of you were familiar with Edmonton or this bar you would know that The Ranch or formerly Barry T's (affectionately called Barely Teens) is known as one of the trashiest, sleaziest, shithole bars in the city. The place is known for letting teens as young as 15/16 in, over serving them with as much alcohol as possible until they're blackout drunk and having their dickhead bouncers aggressively kick you out and hope you somehow make it home safe. Some background on the location: it's basically in the middle of nowhere in an industrial area with fuck all else around it other than a gas station.

No surprise, this isn't even the first time this has happened there. Another 18 year old who left the same bar after a night of drinking a year ago died and the place got investigated but nothing came of it because the AGLC is a joke.

This isn't even a matter of personal responsibility, bars here have a legal responsibility to not over serve people, and this kid was clearly too drunk to make it home. The law also makes it clear that if you get someone drunk you have to get them home safely. I haven't heard of any other bar in this city have this many problems following these basic laws, let alone have two patrons die within less than two years of eachother. It's unheard of.

Honestly the friend's story sounds a little suspect to me. Supposedly they were across the street after the incident and he just 'disappeared.'

Maybe they got in an argument and the friend doesn't want to get blamed?

I could see it either way. Babysitting drunk people is like herding cats sometimes and they may wander off or do other dumb shit. Some people are assholes when they drink too so I could easily see an argument happening, especially if his friend was resentful from having to leave the bar early to look after the guy.

The place should be shut down, but not even because of this.

If any of you were familiar with Edmonton or this bar you would know that The Ranch or formerly Barry T's (affectionately called Barely Teens) is known as one of the trashiest, sleaziest, shithole bars in the city. The place is known for letting teens as young as 15/16 in, over serving them with as much alcohol as possible until they're blackout drunk and having their dickhead bouncers aggressively kick you out and hope you somehow make it home safe. Some background on the location: it's basically in the middle of nowhere in an industrial area with fuck all else around it other than a gas station.

No surprise, this isn't even the first time this has happened there. Another 18 year old who left the same bar after a night of drinking a year ago died and the place got investigated but nothing came of it because the AGLC is a joke.

This isn't even a matter of personal responsibility, bars here have a legal responsibility to not over serve people, and this kid was clearly too drunk to make it home. The law also makes it clear that if you get someone drunk you have to get them home safely. I haven't heard of any other bar in this city have this many problems following these basic laws, let alone have two patrons die within less than two years of eachother. It's unheard of.

This is some good local info thanks. I was wondering how this petition got 25k signatures if it was as cut and dry as many ITT assumed.

In your experience are the trashy bits of Edmonton about on par with those areas in Calgary or worse?

Back