Should Silva's knee have earned him a 10-8 round?

A knockdown doesn't earn a 10-8 in MMA. Otherwise you have to accept Bisping getting a 10-8 for round 2.

No. Anyone who thinks the 3rd was 10-8 in favor of Anderson doesn't understand the scoring system. Bisping was winning the round handily until the final 15-20 seconds. The knee landed by Silva was just enough to steal the round. There is a more convincing argument to be made for rounds 1 and 2 being 10-8 in favor of Bisping, since he outstruck Silva for the entirety of each and knocked him down in each, whereas Silva lost the striking exchanges in round 3 but scored a knockdown at the close of the round. Bisping was the rightful winner of the fight.

Yes it can, rules of ten point must clearly state if there is no clear winner then both fighters may be awarded ten points

Wow. I learned something. But was that round even? No.

You have been misinformed.

"All mixed martial arts bouts will be evaluated and scored by three judges. The 10-Point Must System will be the standard system of scoring a bout. Under the
10-Point Must Scoring System, 10 points must be awarded to the winner of the round and nine points or less must be awarded to the loser, except for an even
round, which is scored (10-10)."

End of page 4 start of page 5.

http://abcboxing.com/Unified_Rules_of_MMA_Judging_Criteria.pdf
Yep. I learned something today. That wasn't an even round though. Not even remotely.

Yep. I learned something today. That wasn't an even round though. Not even remotely.

I didn't say it was. I was just letting you know that 10-10 rounds are in the scoring system. All the rounds in Anderson vs Bisping were 10-9 though.

That was a great knockdown.. Another example of a round deserving a higher score

Well sure if we ignore the whole round and judge only the hardest shot, then you are right, I'd even go further and suggest we should ignore the whole rounds thing and judge only the hardest shot of the fight. Yay, Silva won!

Except he wasn't actually KO'd. You could try and make an argument for a TKO, I'd disagree, but if was not clean KO'd.

Bisping was out. If anderson didn't hop on the cage and distract herb then he would have seen bisping was done just like in machida/thiago silva. But bisping got to keep lying there and get his wits back before herb checked on him. By the time herb had gotten silva off the cage bisping was laying there ready to tell herb "I'm fine, mate"

Bisping was out. If anderson didn't hop on the cage and distract herb then he would have seen bisping was done just like in machida/thiago silva. But bisping got to keep lying there and get his wits back before herb checked on him. By the time herb had gotten silva off the cage bisping was laying there ready to tell herb "I'm fine, mate"

Badly rocked yes, but not actually KO'd. He was even guarding his head as his knees hit the mat to cover himself in case of follow up punches. He was up and at his stool 30 seconds later. You can argue Herb possibly calling it if Silva didn't act the fool as a TKO, but Bisping never went out.

To everyone who got super pissed about this post and wrote 3+paragraph responses, I'm sorry.

Badly rocked yes, but not actually KO'd. He was even guarding his head as his knees hit the mat to cover himself in case of follow up punches. He was up and at his stool 30 seconds later. You can argue Herb possibly calling it if Silva didn't act the fool as a TKO, but Bisping never went out.

I don't wanna argue this to death. To me it looked like he got ko'd initially and then came back. Seemed like his neck muscles fully relaxed like when you see someone dropped, fall on their back and hit their head on the mat. Which is usually a sign that they were out for at least a little bit of time. I'd honestly have to re-watch it to really get into this with you. But it's done so whatever.

As silva fan, even though he didn't win, I still got what I came for.

No.

it won him the round,thats all.
This, Silva was losing the round before that knee. A similar example would be big nog vs Heath Herring in the UFC where Nog was winning handily until the end of the round when Heath hit him with a high kick and almost knocked him out

Pretty sure SIlva could have TKO'd, or even KO'd Bisping if his life depended on it, but he just turns into a fucking great weirdo whenever he enters the octagon these days. It's like watching some kind of ninja with Aspergers ffs. I mean, how many times was he told the fight was not over before he accepted it? At no point did the ref jump in and stop it either, as the bell went. He's mental.

a round is to be scored as a 10-8 round when a contestant overwhelmingly dominates by striking or grappling in a round.

this was not the case.
This is the problem with the scoring system in a nutshell. You can just about shade a round and you get 10-9.........And you have to overwhelmingly dominate a round to get a 10-8.....there is a big gap between overwhelmingly dominating a round and just about shading one

No, it won him the round.

Shogun vs Hendo r5 is a 10-8.

Back