Should Silva's knee have earned him a 10-8 round?

Anderson waited until the very end of the round to get aggressive and try to finish. Seemed to be his strategy

No you can not make that argument. It's a 10 Point Must system.

Unless there is a point deduction, you won't see a tied round. Because that can't happen with 10 Point Must.

No bingo today folks.

It's a 10 Point Must system. A round can only be a draw if there's a point deduction, meaning it was a 10-9, and became a 9-9. There are no 10-10 rounds either.

Yes it can, rules of ten point must clearly state if there is no clear winner then both fighters may be awarded ten points

These same illogical arguments again. A 10 8 round is for a totally dominant round, not a close round where someone's rocked or dropped during it.

It doesn't matter if things would've been different if the knee landed earlier. The knee didn't land earlier and being saved by the bell at the end of the round has always been within the rules.

Bisping wasn't koed he was dropped and badly rocked. Tko stoppages are for the protection of the fighter. A fighter that comes back to win clearly didn't need to be protected.

It's irrelevant that many fights are stopped early. You're lobbying for an early stoppage because your guy lost.

I thought it was a cheap shot
maybe not illegal

but cheap none the less

Pretty much any time a guy is badly hurt during round he should lose at least a point. That includes Silva being dropped by Bisping. If a guy gets rocked early in a round, recovers well, and then gets rocked again at the end of the round it should be a straightforward 10-7. 10-9s are for close rounds where neither guy is ever really in trouble. It's crazy that with a ten point scale available MMA judges are content to use a one point scale to measure fights.

maybe not illegal

but cheap none the less

Given that Herb has confirmed that he never stopped the fight for Bisping's mouthpiece, why is it cheap to attack when you're opponent loses focus? I mean, I could see thinking it's cheap to attack after fouling your opponent, but Bisping doesn't get to call timeout.

If you think one strike, even if it was a near finish wins you a 10-8 in a round you were losing, please don't post again or never try to score an MMA fight.

This isn't boxing. MMA uses the 10-9 must system as a baseline but the rules are very different. A knockdown in boxing is 10-8, a 10-8 in MMA means dominating a round. It says nothing about finishing. You can hold someone down for 5 minutes and get a 10-8.

That's the problem with MMA scoring, it's a 10-9 round but it certainly deserve a higher score than say Bispings 4th round in which all he did was land pitter patter, same with Bisping's knockdown, a round in which he knocked Anderson down is somehow scored the same as a round in which he won due to activity...Not all 10-9's are equal which is fucking stupid.

10-9 should be a round you just about edged
10-8 should be a round you clearly won
10-7 should be a round you completely dominated
maybe not illegal

but cheap none the less
It was a cheap move for Bisping to spit his mouth piece out when Sliva was moving in for the kill.

Given that Herb has confirmed that he never stopped the fight for Bisping's mouthpiece, why is it cheap to attack when you're opponent loses focus? I mean, I could see thinking it's cheap to attack after fouling your opponent, but Bisping doesn't get to call timeout.
Bisping is responsible for the opening
Silva capitalized on Bisping looking over to Herb for his mouthpiece

Bisping is responsible for the opening
Silva capitalized on Bisping looking over to Herb for his mouthpiece

Exactly. But you described it as cheap, and there's nothing cheap about it.

Anderson landed some nice strikes which wobbled Bisping enough to resort to trying to get Herb to pause the fight for his mouthpiece. The knee landed at the very last seconds. But it all happened very late so I can't see Silva getting a 10-8 round.

What about Bisping who was motioning to his mouthpiece trying to get a timeout to avoid a ko? That was worse than whatever you are saying about Silva.
I didn't read it as Bisping trying to avoid the KO. Just avoid fighting without a mouthpiece.

Back