Opinion Should shows like Rachel Maddow have to air a disclaimer at the beginning of the program?

One of my best friends who is a big liberal but actually very bright watches that Maddow. He was not aware of her “nobody could take me seriously because I’m a lying clown” defense used in court. It was a big shock to him because even a smart person buys into that nutso.

I think anyone that uses that defense in court should issue that disclaimer to viewers. I agree with OP. Her show, Colbert (jackasses watch that too) and some of the talking heads on Fox (Tucker, etc…) should as well. CNN should have a banner saying we are liberal propaganda 24/7.

Last edited:
While it may be an opinion oriented show, she is going off of facts. So she is not misleading the public. The problem is with people like Tucker and Hannity who not only have opinion shows, but base those opinions off of lies. That is where the public gets confused as fans of those 2 shows are not smart enough to tell the difference
lol

Wait, are you saying that there are still people in this day and age who actually believe what the "news" says?

If you are to dimwitted to recognize... sorry fox viewers.

Ah, the irony of insulting "Fox viewers" as "to dimwitted" while simultaneously not knowing the difference between "to" and "too", something taught to kids in school by the ages of 8 or 9.

Self ownings are truly the best kind.

How about holding them accountable for misleading, a few more lawsuits like the magazine school kid with the old Indian guy as well as the veritas guy might straighten them out

How do you do that without looking like you are coming after the 1st?

The hand picked selection of stories to report in that push a narrative is just as bad. Daytime “news” and online sources like bbc are literally worse than talking heads right now. It’s kind of a serious problem, actually.

How do you do that without looking like you are coming after the 1st?
the left has already destroyed the first. More cases like the Sandman lawsuit 275 million, where CNN made up a fake story, (they do that all the time and have been at it for years) would bring back a little accountability
we have seen them making up fake racial stories, like a white armed supremacist, when they actually blurred out a black dude with an AR

dominion is trying to sue Fox, I don't think they will win especially given the fact they are operating voting systems on behalf of the government...the exact thing people ought to be holding companies accountable for. there is plenty of evidence that the machines are being manipulated so this is going to get interesting

Yes, if they are going to insulate themselves from libel law by claiming they are "entertainment" then should have to tell you.... especially when they are on a channel that calls itself "news."

While it may be an opinion oriented show, she is going off of facts. So she is not misleading the public. The problem is with people like Tucker and Hannity who not only have opinion shows, but base those opinions off of lies. That is where the public gets confused as fans of those 2 shows are not smart enough to tell the difference

you are trolling here.

that show is blatant and pure propaganda. it's so contrived and made up that they are rubbing it in the viewers face.

you are trolling here.

that show is blatant and pure propaganda. it's so contrived and made up that they are rubbing it in the viewers face.
You seem to believe that anyone who disagrees with you must not believe what they say. I am a troll because you disagree, maddow is making things up. i hate to break it to you, but not everyone is an alt right nutjob

You seem to believe that anyone who disagrees with you must not believe what they say. I am a troll because you disagree, maddow is making things up. i hate to break it to you, but not everyone is an alt right nutjob

You are a troll, because not too long ago you were posting shit like this:

trump is clearly not without his faults. but holy hell it must be hard fighting two battles. while he is dealing with the corona virus disaster, he also has to deal with democrats going to war with him as well. I honestly think most dems would prefer millions die in order to make trump look as bad as possible.

Get a life.

You are a troll, because not too long ago you were posting shit like this:

Get a life.
And you conveniently left out the rest of the post where I said both sides have idiots. I have always said both sides are idiots and that is why I say I am pretty much in the middle. Trump has his faults, as i said and I was willing to give him time on the job. but it came completely obvious that he could not handle the job. The problem is that we have become programmed to believe if we prefer the left or the right, we need to agree with them on all issues and we must wage war against the other side.

i am willing to wait out the other side until it is time not to wait them out. I am willing to say the left is wrong when they are wrong and when the right is wrong. Sorry you are unable to

And you conveniently left out the rest of the post where I said both sides have idiots. I have always said both sides are idiots and that is why I say I am pretty much in the middle. Trump has his faults, as i said and I was willing to give him time on the job. but it came completely obvious that he could not handle the job. The problem is that we have become programmed to believe if we prefer the left or the right, we need to agree with them on all issues and we must wage war against the other side.

i am willing to wait out the other side until it is time not to wait them out. I am willing to say the left is wrong when they are wrong and when the right is wrong. Sorry you are unable to

Nice try, but you've gone full Queen B. There is no rational balance in anything you post. You're trolling.

you can only think in black and white. it's a severe social adjustment handicap.

MSNBC, FOX, CNN are all well documented state propaganda mouthpieces.

once you are able to grasp the big picture and not choose a preportioned, prepackaged side of a false political spectrum, you might eventually figure out what is happening to your mind.

but hey, i don't want to ruin your delusion of the world. have fun being a patient in project mockingbird. you are so deep in, that you don't realize that you yourself built your own prison. one where you are not allowed to posses basic critical thinking skills.

569249.jpg

Nice try, but you've gone full Queen B. There is no rational balance in anything you post. You're trolling.
Like I said, we have gotten to a point where we assume you have to fall in line with a certain party. I am the side of what is right, not a party. That is why half of my friends think I am a neocon and the other half think I am a tree hugger. I do no not define myself though

Shows like The Rachel Maddow Show have argued in court successfully that they are not telling facts and are just entertainment. However it's pretty obvious people watch these types of shows and believe they are getting the news. They present themselves as providing real information to the American public while arguing another thing in court. Wouldn't it make sense to air a disclaimer before the show letting the audience know it is not based on fact? Similar to how South Park does.

Judge Opinion:

"On one hand, a viewer who watches news channels tunes in for facts and the goings-on of the world. MSNBC indeed produces news, but this point must be juxtaposed with the fact that Maddow made the allegedly defamatory statement on her own talk show news segment where she is invited and encouraged to share her opinions with her viewers. Maddow does not keep her political views a secret, and therefore, audiences could expect her to use subjective language that comports with her political opinions.

Thus, Maddow’s show is different than a typical news segment where anchors inform viewers about the daily news. The point of Maddow’s show is for her to provide the news but also to offer her opinions as to that news. Therefore, the Court finds that the medium of the alleged defamatory statement makes it more likely that a reasonable viewer would not conclude that the contested statement implies an assertion of objective fact"

https://greenwald.substack.com/p/a-court-ruled-rachel-maddows-viewers

I'd like to see standards and review practices instituted to allow for something to be branded as "news".

Wasn't the entire case predicated on the show being opinion-based instead of fact-based?

The judge made two arguments.

1. The show is subjective opinion not fact based

2. The people watching the show know that.

I highly disagree with the second conclusion. That's where a disclaimer would come in handy.

Back