Opinion Should shows like Rachel Maddow have to air a disclaimer at the beginning of the program?

blaseblah

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Shows like The Rachel Maddow Show have argued in court successfully that they are not telling facts and are just entertainment. However it's pretty obvious people watch these types of shows and believe they are getting the news. They present themselves as providing real information to the American public while arguing another thing in court. Wouldn't it make sense to air a disclaimer before the show letting the audience know it is not based on fact? Similar to how South Park does.

Judge Opinion:

"On one hand, a viewer who watches news channels tunes in for facts and the goings-on of the world. MSNBC indeed produces news, but this point must be juxtaposed with the fact that Maddow made the allegedly defamatory statement on her own talk show news segment where she is invited and encouraged to share her opinions with her viewers. Maddow does not keep her political views a secret, and therefore, audiences could expect her to use subjective language that comports with her political opinions.

Thus, Maddow’s show is different than a typical news segment where anchors inform viewers about the daily news. The point of Maddow’s show is for her to provide the news but also to offer her opinions as to that news. Therefore, the Court finds that the medium of the alleged defamatory statement makes it more likely that a reasonable viewer would not conclude that the contested statement implies an assertion of objective fact"

https://greenwald.substack.com/p/a-court-ruled-rachel-maddows-viewers

Shows like The Rachel Maddow Show have argued in court successfully that they are not telling facts and are just entertainment. However it's pretty obvious people watch these types of shows and believe they are getting the news. They present themselves as providing real information to the American public while arguing another thing in court. Wouldn't it make sense to air a disclaimer before the show letting the audience know it is not based on fact? Similar to how South Park does.

Judge Opinion:

"On one hand, a viewer who watches news channels tunes in for facts and the goings-on of the world. MSNBC indeed produces news, but this point must be juxtaposed with the fact that Maddow made the allegedly defamatory statement on her own talk show news segment where she is invited and encouraged to share her opinions with her viewers. Maddow does not keep her political views a secret, and therefore, audiences could expect her to use subjective language that comports with her political opinions.

Thus, Maddow’s show is different than a typical news segment where anchors inform viewers about the daily news. The point of Maddow’s show is for her to provide the news but also to offer her opinions as to that news. Therefore, the Court finds that the medium of the alleged defamatory statement makes it more likely that a reasonable viewer would not conclude that the contested statement implies an assertion of objective fact"

https://greenwald.substack.com/p/a-court-ruled-rachel-maddows-viewers

Yea all those prime time news network shows should have an infotainment graphic in the bottom corner of the screen. Rachel Hannity tucker all of them

But I think the bigger problem is that people want to be spoonfed bullshit that pleases their confirmation bias and no disclaimer is going to fix that.

Also problem .... who gets to be the one who decides if something is news or infotainment ?

Yea all those prime time news network shows should have an infotainment graphic in the bottom corner of the screen. Rachel Hannity tucker all of them

But I think the bigger problem is that people want to be spoonfed bullshit that pleases their confirmation bias and no disclaimer is going to fix that.

Also problem .... who gets to be the one who decides if something is news or infotainment ?

If they have to argue in court they are infotainment then they would get the disclaimer.

While it may be an opinion oriented show, she is going off of facts. So she is not misleading the public. The problem is with people like Tucker and Hannity who not only have opinion shows, but base those opinions off of lies. That is where the public gets confused as fans of those 2 shows are not smart enough to tell the difference

While it may be an opinion oriented show, she is going off of facts. So she is not misleading the public. The problem is with people like Tucker and Hannity who not only have opinion shows, but base those opinions off of lies. That is where the public gets confused as fans of those 2 shows are not smart enough to tell the difference

lol andnowweknow liked this obvious troll post.

Part of me wants to say yes. From Maddow, Tucker, Hannity all of them. In reality though, no. People have opinions and it would be a slippery slope with disclaimers. How can you force Maddow to have a disclaimer but 100s of YouTube videos not? Will every show need a disclaimer?

I watched Bill & Ted recently on 4K and it had a disclaimer for having a gay slur that is inappropriate today. Shouldn't you just understand that are you watching an 80s movie and times were different? So yes, while it does annoy me that people treat Maddow and Tucker as fact, I don't think a disclaimer would help and it's more trouble than its worth.

Art Bell actually got sued by family members of the Heaven's Gate cult because he had a segment talking about something trailing the Hale Bopp comment. The Heaven's Gate cult was apparently inspired by that segment and thought that a UFO was coming to take them home. He had to testify his show was just for entertainment and not to be taken as news.

Again, it's a slippery slope. I'm sure Maddow believes everything she says and a lot of it is rooted in conspiracy. Still, it's ultimately on the individual to take what she and others are saying and judge for themselves.

All a news program has to do is say shit like "allegedly", "reportedly", etc. and they can say whatever made up shit they want.

She's the most watched show on MSNBC
<22>

It's crap that's on at airports and gyms to get fake ratings with nobody actually watching. Her "in demo" numbers are pretty crap.

Lol, I typed her name into youtube and Tucker Carlson's name. Her name brings up all her MSNBC videos with pretty poor viewer numbers, and Tucker Carlson's name returns every left wing talk show host crying about him. I got a bunch of Stephen Colbert, Trevor Noah, Samantha Bee and like 5 CNN videos before any from Fox of his actual show, and he still got more than Rachel Maddow.

Back