Should Sherdog remove the likes option?

Should Sherdog remove the likes option?

• Total voters
I’m not very smart when it comes to this stuff, but how is something as simple as “likes” crashing the server? I would think P&M would slow it down with all of the media. Also, how many likes to get to give before I run out?

Likes should be exclusive for posters who join official shoop threads. Tally them at the end of the year and the one with most Likes is the Shooper of the year.@bigwaverider

Personally I don't like the Like system and could care less if it is gone. Others like it, and I want them to be happy, so for that reason I don't think it should be scrapped.

(a minute later) I just looked at the poll results thus far and it seems most don't like the Likes, so I am fine with that too.

Likes should be exclusive for posters who join official shoop threads. Tally them at the end of the year and the one with most Likes is the Shooper of the year.@bigwaverider

No. All you would have to do is camp out, wait for the shoop threads, get first post, and plop a head on something via a 10 second shoop. The first pages of any thread get the most Likes, the first few of them get even more, with generally the first post gets the most. While there is no criteria for Shooper of the Year, generally those that contribute a lot of shoops, that make the most creative shoops, those that help the shoop scene, help the shoopers, pump up the shoopers, pump up the threads, and to a degree stand out in the contests, are up in the rankings. People tend to notice these things and vote accordingly. Yes it's not perfect and some people can slip under the radar and to tell you the truth, that does bother me.

It's kinda a kid thing but whatever I had fun with it for a while but it's not the highlight of this site.. It's the breaking news for me as #1.

If it's just gonna get purged every now and then there doesn't seem to be much need for it.

The other thing that was good is that you could use it to detect trolls and assholes. Sometimes this wasn’t true for some of the old accounts from back in the day. But if someone had a join date in the past few years, had 4000 posts but only 500 likes, you could be pretty sure they were an asshole.

Or high like and low post also meant like whore with no substance.
Now we are forced to actually read and reply to posts.. I find that annoying

there should be a 'ban' button - not from the forums, but from a thread.

set it at like 25. if a user reaches that number, then he/she would lose the right to post in the pertaining thread.

Lol I miss my likes man, was a great feature and was good knowing how many people either agreed with what you said or found it funny. Not that validation is something necessary but good to know you made someone's day better sometimes. Numerous times when guys have said I made their day better with my post etc.

Not the end of the world either way but I prefer to have likes and wish they could bring them all back. Was a good system to see who was a jackass or not also. Typically the more likes the cooler you were. Cool as in more down to earth.

I mentioned in a different thread but sometimes the best answers are the simpliest! I don't know how just hitting a "like" would affect Sherdog database, but like you said, just stop tracking them at this point, we didn't used to track it.

Give us the ability to "ping" the poster with a like letting him/her know we liked it and the clear it from the database once the user either acknowledges the like or after X amount of days.....maybe 7 days purge the database entry for that like tag. Surely that can't tax the the database that much.

I don't care about likes vs posts or how many likes a person has . But I kind of like to log into Sherdog and see if anyone liked what I posted or who liked it. It doesn't validate me but it gives us a sense of community in a way. If the same people like your stuff a lot and you tend to like there stuff and pretty soon you kind of build a friendship.

This @Madmick @irish_thug

I mentioned in a different thread but sometimes the best answers are the simpliest! I don't know how just hitting a "like" would affect Sherdog database, but like you said, just stop tracking them at this point, we didn't used to track it.

Give us the ability to "ping" the poster with a like letting him/her know we liked it and the clear it from the database once the user either acknowledges the like or after X amount of days.....maybe 7 days purge the database entry for that like tag. Surely that can't tax the the database that much.

I don't care about likes vs posts or how many likes a person has . But I kind of like to log into Sherdog and see if anyone liked what I posted or who liked it. It doesn't validate me but it gives us a sense of community in a way. If the same people like your stuff a lot and you tend to like there stuff and pretty soon you kind of build a friendship.

I like this suggestion more than any other that's for the "Like" system, but I was never attached to the system, myself. Considering how unstable it has made the servers I'd prefer we just dropped it. It's purely cosmetic, after all.

But how will people know I’m someone important? I’ll have to rewrite my résumé.

Interviewer meeting with HR later that day to discuss potential hires: This guy has more likes than posts, he's the real deal!

I like this suggestion more than any other that's for the "Like" system, but I was never attached to the system, myself. Considering how unstable it has made the servers I'd prefer we just dropped it. It's purely cosmetic, after all.
I think they do help diminish the empty "+1" or "this" type posts, but I'm in agreement that they aren't worth the trouble at this point.

Well shit. If they're still up in a week I guess I'm dust.
giphy.gif

If anything, we need a DISLIKE button.

We should take to the streets about this.

I’ll bring the milk.

Someone set up a brick stash.

Back