Should school start earlier? How about starting school at 2 or 3 years old?

Sometimes, mom and dad both need to work in order to help the family. Like I mentioned, it should be optional. It has the potential of helping a family but shouldn't be something forced either.
I think parents should pay for a daycare. I don't think govt should be doing that. That would be terribly inneficient. And talk about bureaucracy. We don't need a bigger govt. I'm a conservative for less govt in our lives.

I don't know about you, but I didn't take school seriously at all until I was in my 20's. When I was young, I was practically wasting my time. When I got to high school, I elected a bunch of bullshit classes. It was only real world experience in shitty jobs where I found the value of an education and I imagine I'm not the only one that feels this way.

You have to want it for it to mean something imo

Yep, I wouldn't even bother reading the English texts. At uni they were like "now you will need to use footnotes and source every piece of info". I was like oh yeah I remember them telling us that, never bothered to actually do it during high school though.

I feel bad about it now, I went to one of the top 3 most expensive schools in my country.

I think parents should pay for a daycare. I don't think govt should be doing that. That would be terribly inneficient. And talk about bureaucracy. We don't need a bigger govt. I'm a conservative for less govt in our lives.

Like mentioned, it would be schooling more than it is daycare. The purpose would still be to educate. Some parents can't pay for daycare and have to rely on family members. Those who can't rely on family members are pretty much fucked. It isn't bureaucracy is its optional

Like mentioned, it would be schooling more than it is daycare. The purpose would still be to educate. Some parents can't pay for daycare and have to rely on family members. Those who can't rely on family members are pretty much fucked. It isn't bureaucracy is its optional

That's similar to dropping your kids off at the pool for the lifeguards to baby sit and calling it swimming lessons.

My daughter is 6, she will be starting first grade in a few weeks. We kept her out of kindergarten because my wife was already home with our son, he's three. To get her ready for the routine of going to school we enrolled her in a three week program over the summer designed to prepare kids for the transition to a more academic learning style, as apposed to the more play-based learning of kindergarten. We were not surprised to find out that her reading, writing, speaking and arithmetic far surpass that of her classmates. The reason is simple my wife was able to give her far more one on one time than any teacher would.

Nothing wrong with sending your kids to school at 4, but it is not the be all, end all.

That's similar to dropping your kids off at the pool for the lifeguards to baby sit and calling it swimming lessons.

That's a weird analogy but early childcare is definitely a large industry that already exists and has proven to be needed at this point with both spouses working in most households. I'm not trying to justify what decision a family should make when it comes to their family. I'm just acknowledging the reality that many family already do this and think it's the best option. Preschool isn't a pool and neither is a daycare. Part of the point is childcare and another could be education. Neither may be the sole reason.

What can children possibly learn in school at that age? Children already spend far too much time in institutions and away from their parents. I don't see how forcing them to spend even more time in institutions is going to improve anything.

To read, write, exercise moral judgement.....

My parents taught me to read and write when I was 3. Not everyone is so lucky.

Social skills as well. You can get that either way but being around a lot of young kids that early can help.

I've got a 3 year old man. He can't be in school all day. These 2 and 3 year olds often have diapers and need naps.

Anyway we just disagree I guess.

I've got a 3 year old man. He can't be in school all day. These 2 and 3 year olds often have diapers and need naps.

Anyway we just disagree I guess.

I think you misunderstand my stance also with the optional thing. Some parents definitely would opt for it and some wouldn't like yourself. I'm allowing it to be decided on a family by family basis. I actually wouldn't opt in because my family is close and I know my parents would want to sit my kid the first few years.

School or formal education?

Because at 2 or 3 kids aren't ready for formal education. Play based learning, sure. But nothing like what you see in 1st or 2nd grade. Attempting to do so only hurts their development.

This is where things like universal pre-k or preschool are starting to gain traction. Someplace based on child development standards that allow parents to return to work but not be burdened by the additional costs of daycare. That has more value. But school? Not so much.

Who's going to be watching your baby all day?

1000509261001_1115307976001_Bio-MB-Dahmer.jpg

When my youngest (11years old now) came home after his first day of kindergarten he was upset at his mom.... He told her that school was boring and he hated it. He told her "why did you have to teach me to read and write at home? Now I have nothing to do at school."

2-3 years old is daycare, not school. Kids aren't learning anything at that age that is more valuable than being at home or decent daycare. Striving to improve how we educate is noble, but starting kids earlier is no way to go about it.

What can children possibly learn in school at that age? Children already spend far too much time in institutions and away from their parents. I don't see how forcing them to spend even more time in institutions is going to improve anything.
When I was a kid we had 3 years mandatory kindergarten before starting school. By the beginning of grade 1 you were expected to know basic math, and to read and write. Kids are amazing learning machines, and by age 5 many have mastered technology and how to manipulate their parents, and I think reading and writing are better skills to learn.

Many conservatives are firmly against that sort of thing. The War Room is proof of this.

And as some have already proven there is nothing good about school it only exists for 'liberal indoctrination' and satanic worship. For god sakes Trotsky they teach SCIENCE, evolution, and climate change in school!!! NOT the bible!!

I think you misunderstand my stance also with the optional thing. Some parents definitely would opt for it and some wouldn't like yourself. I'm allowing it to be decided on a family by family basis. I actually wouldn't opt in because my family is close and I know my parents would want to sit my kid the first few years.

In a truly healthy society I don't think it should be optional. Just like it is not optional to not put kids in elementary school.

Back