Should school start earlier? How about starting school at 2 or 3 years old?

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by SouthoftheAndes, Aug 10, 2016.

1. I believe this is definitely one area that the Soviet Union manage to surpass the United States in. It is disgusting that kids don't start school till like 5 or 6 years old.

America is a land of obesity, failed dreams, poverty and wealth and education inequality while the elite and richest 1% brainwash rednecks and other hard working people to vote against their own interests. America is falling behind the world in education!!!

"The Soviet system provided for nearly universal primary (nursery, age 1 to 3) and kindergarten (age 3 to 7) service in urban areas, relieving working mothers from daytime childcare needs. By the 1980s, there were 88,000 preschool institutions; as the secondary-education study load increased and moved from the ten to eleven-year standard, the kindergarten programmes shifted from training basic social skills, or physical abilities, to preparation for entering the school level."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Russia

2. Devout Pessimist

Devout Pessimist Tragic Vision

What can children possibly learn in school at that age? Children already spend far too much time in institutions and away from their parents. I don't see how forcing them to spend even more time in institutions is going to improve anything.

3. Blackened

Blackened It is a new era! Double Yellow Card

I don't know about you, but I didn't take school seriously at all until I was in my 20's. When I was young, I was practically wasting my time. When I got to high school, I elected a bunch of bullshit classes. It was only real world experience in shitty jobs where I found the value of an education and I imagine I'm not the only one that feels this way.

You have to want it for it to mean something imo

4. A lot. Children can start learning as young as new borns. In the future we may be dominated by the Chinese and other nations who take education and physical fitness seriously. Meanwhile the west degrades.

Republicans in many parts of America are some of the biggest opponents of education. Some posters in the War Room as well seem to oppose a more educated population. For some reason the Right wing loves the idea of uneducated masses and only a small segment of the population being college educated.

7437 and Konquest like this.
  5. Horse Style

Horse Style Silver Belt

Explain why it's disgusting that kids don't start until 5. You must think it must be very important to spend those extra 2-3 years in school and this issue is just as important as what's going on in school from ages 5-18.

I know Jamaica starts schooling at age 3 and I see no advantage whatsoever over the average American child. Also, a lot of American families have their 3 year old in pre-school and I don't think there is any significant advantage over children who start at the traditional age.

HockeyBjj and mike sherry like this.
  6. Horse Style

Horse Style Silver Belt

This may come as a surprise to you but people DO learn and gather knowledge OUTSIDE of school. That's why children are usually able to talk, are potty-trained and begin to have preferences before starting Kindergarten. Also, many families start the process of teaching their child to read at home before school. I know, shocking.

spamking, SleepyBoy, ILLogic and 3 others like this.
  7. Thunderflash500

Thunderflash500 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Yea America is terrible. And by terrible I mean in every possible way better than the Soviet Union. Of course they would have projects like this. They wanted kids raised by the state.

Our schooling isn't even that bad. We have plenty of kids going to college.

A more interesting discussion would be ways to reform school, make it more effective. Asking what skills will be needed for the future. Asking what is education. Not just, give them more. If its failing why is it failing? I don't think it is, but if it was I don't think the solution is just start earlier.

For school areas that are doing terribly charter schools have come in and had massive success.

lilelvis, Brodels, Blackened and 2 others like this.
  8. lfd0311

lfd0311 Pink Belt

There is already optional 3 year old pre school. But it should be optional. There is plenty of time for political indoctrinization, let them be kids for a little while longer.

9. Thunderflash500

Are you just lying to yourself or what? Who says less education is better? Maybe its that there are millions of trade jobs that need to be filled? Maybe they just think liberal college educations are becoming a joke. That its not real knowledge.

But no, scary evil republicans just hate education in general. You got it.

The Chinese poop and pee on the side walk still. They have a ways to go to catch up. Not to mention an absolute nightmare of a government to over come.

Rav1nHunter, Brodels and mike sherry like this.
  10. Lol at 'political indoctrination'. Let me guess the evil liberals? Even though the right has been dominating in policy for the past 30 years or longer? Obama presidency was the first time we started to even swing left.

I am also not paranoid about hypothetical "indoctrination". And my god is the paranoia bad.

There are many posters and Republicans I have met who hate the idea of a more educated population. They also, hate the idea of more people having college degrees for some reason. Instead they often want to push the poor and minorities into "trade jobs" and low service jobs while they themselves send their kids to college.

Paul Ryan and other Republican hypocrites fit this description.

11. Thunderflash500

More people having degrees isn't good if the degrees get watered down and aren't for anything. It means kids will have more debt and really nothing to show for it. It's not that they want be to less informed, they want people to better off financially and in a position to prosper rather than pay off absolutely absurd student debt bills. It's actually very good advice. The education given in many different colleges is garbage anyway. Podcasts, youtube, all have way better information than I ever got going to college. Now, for actual real degrees, stem fields, it makes sense to go to college and I don't think Republicans are saying we need less doctors and engineers.

School does indoctrinate you. The information given someone has to decide is ok to hear, read ect. But so does tv. I wouldn't say it's necessarily evil, but still, someone is manipulating the information. Some is deciding what is real history, what science is important, ect. What classes to teach.

I don't know what Paul Ryan said exactly. He could be full of shit. Most of them are.

12. lfd0311

lfd0311 Pink Belt

Policy. Cool. Talk to a student. Yes, political indoctrination is exactly what goes on in most schools these days. Thanks for sneering though.

Blackened and mike sherry like this.
  13. Thunderflash500

Yea I've had my fair share of extremely far left professors. And no right wing. The closest I came to anything balanced was a left wing teacher who had experience owning an apartments, and so of course in that one area he was right wing. Basically admitting it was way harder than most people realize and you aren't rich just because you own property.

Devout Pessimist and mike sherry like this.
  14. no fat chicks

no fat chicks Worlds greatest poster

No way I'm keeping my kids away from the evils of evolution theory and sexual education dens as long as I can.

RighteousWar likes this.
  15. sickc0d3r

sickc0d3r Red Belt

Lazy ass 2 year olds need to get to class and learn something. Daddy has plans for happy hour.

Space, Devout Pessimist and Blackened like this.
  16. Blackened

Blackened It is a new era! Double Yellow Card

Not sure if trolling but I didn't study Darwin's works or the reproductive cycle until I was 11 or so.

They'd probably be learning to count. But again, I question the benefits. I'd imagine being around mother or father (that could also teach counting) to be more beneficial.

Devout Pessimist likes this.
  17. ILLogic

ILLogic Brown Belt

Good luck getting a group of 2-3 year olds to sit at their desks, let alone pay attention to what you're teaching. Learning prior to pre-K is solely on the parents.

spamking likes this.
  18. chardog

chardog That's President Donald Trump

at those ages, it's just day care. I wouldnt mind free daycare on your tax dollars.

19. YoungBoyd

YoungBoyd Milletinin lideridir Erdoğan

Its gonna increase working hours for the parents. So its probably an economic incentive. Secondly the majority will probably be more indoctrinated and the state obviously wants a bunch of Yes-men. I think the example provided by ts that the Soviet union started at 1 year old speaks for itself.

Bilbo Gaggins likes this.
  20. Brodels

Brodels Double Yellow Card

Or just let kids be kids before their life starts sucking