Should professional sports with world athletes already facing each other weekly be in the Olympics.

MadMardigain

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
We already know who the worlds best is in golf and tennis on a almost weekly basis. Heck it's not country vs country but we already know who who the best basketball players are in the world due to the wildly popular NBA. And the idea of these sports having any level of amateurism is laughable.

I know it's a straight money grab, but should sports like these really be in the Olympics when they already have a well established Professional competition that constantly shows who the best is weekly? Or should the competition be geared more to the lesser known sports which do not have as much of a pro-league and at least have some hints of amateur status still in tact.

Last edited:
We already know who the worlds best is in golf and tennis on a almost weekly basis. Heck it's not country vs country but we already know who who the best basketball players are in the world due to the wildly popular NBA.

I know it's a straight money grab, but should sports like these really be in the Olympics when they already have a well established and popular international competition that constantly shows who the best is?

Why have title fights? Heck, why should fighters even fight at all? Why should soccer players play soccer ever? Because anything can happen on any given day.

All the other sports also compete against each other constantly , Track n Field has a league of international competition.

Upsets happen even to the huge favorites.

In the end you are competing for a title just like any other, for some sports a Olympic win (Track field, swimming) is more important than it is for other sports (mens socccer, basketball).

Basketball is one of the biggest attractions at the Olympics. The only way it leaves is if the NBA is scared players get injured. But the NBA is smart and realizes it is great advertisement for the NBA.

I won't watch tennis or golf at the Olympics but I don't watch those sports in other events.

The Men's Olympic road cycling event was on today. Those guys battle each other at the Tour de France, Giro d'Italia, Tour of California, Vuelta a Espana, ect and other races. But it made for great viewing today. True it was a one stage event and the others are multi day events but it was exciting to watch and one hell of a finish.

Do you want more coverage of synchronized swimming, synchronized diving, equestrian dressage, and the girls gymnastics exhibition after they give out the medals.

Do you want more coverage of synchronized swimming, synchronized diving, equestrian dressage, and the girls gymnastics exhibition after they give out the medals.
No I'd just as well remove most of the silly pseudo sports too.

I think in the individual sports that have prizes more alluring than Gold Medals (ie Tennis and Golf) yeah the competitors are indifferent. In the Basketball and Soccer and Hockey, although a Gold Medal may not be the biggest prize in the sport, the guys and girls compete just as hard for their national pride which for me makes it entertaining enough to keep.

Olympics are stupid and teh ghey in general. The sports people care about like boxing suck and the rest is trying to make shit no one cares about like swimming appealing.

I think in the individual sports that have prizes more alluring than Gold Medals (ie Tennis and Golf) yeah the competitors are indifferent. In the Basketball and Soccer and Hockey, although a Gold Medal may not be the biggest prize in the sport, the guys and girls compete just as hard for their national pride which for me makes it entertaining enough to keep.
I agree. If the Olympics isn't the pinnacle of the sport then it shouldn't be included, With the exception of team sports where the athletes do not usually represent their country.

Back