Should Peter Jackson update LOTR with better graphics?

I’d be onboard if they’re updating it to look good on a 4k player.

I have the extended version dvd’s. Never bothered with bluray.

That’s too bad. From what I understand, the studio didn’t provide Jackson with any time, or the resources he wanted to film the Hobbit movies. They were really rushed. That’s probably why they had to green screen everything.

I suspect the biggest difference is that he wasn't afforded the time to play around with the script before/during filming. LOTR I would say benefited from this greatly where as the Hobbit films for me felt much more disjointed. I think they definitely had plenty of good material in them but equally a lot that was less so and plots that didn't run nearly as smoothly.

The whole plot with the elves especially for me felt rushed and confused, some hints at Thranduil being quite an interesting character that never really came to much and a sappy romance thrown in instead.

No, it won't. TV reporters aren't the most educated or skeptical breed, IMO, which is why I notice they tend to reprint marketing shared with them without scrutiny.
New Lord of the Rings TV show will reportedly run for five seasons, first will focus on Aragorn

Until I see more concrete figures I'll take for granted that is the budget: $250m for 5 years. It doesn't say how much of this is licensing, production, or marketing.

Game of Thrones ran a production budget of $50m-$60m for the first season. It saw a 15% increase in the second season (~$58m-$69m). Seasons #3-#5 ran a budget of ~$80m per season, and Season #6 had a $100m+ budget. Season #7 apparently ran about the same per-episode budget as that season, but only had 7 episodes, and so probably cost just $70m or so. The penultimate episode became noteworthy since "The Battle of Blackwater" in the second season for running extraordinary budgets, and I recall reading in these later seasons, despite averages, would run a ~$15m standalone budget. Meanwhile, the 8th and final season is going to run a budget of $15m per episode for six episodes: $90m.

So, by my calculations, splitting the difference in the first two seasons, and rounding a bit, we're looking at Game of Thrones running a series production budget of...
  1. $55m
  2. $65m
  3. $80m
  4. $80m
  5. $80m
  6. $100m
  7. $70m
  8. $90m
TOTAL = $620m

LOTR is gonna need to step their shit up if Amazon wants to make that claim.

*Edit*
Second source:
http://fortune.com/2018/04/06/lord-of-the-rings-amazon-most-expensive/

<mma4>
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...v-series-landed-at-amazon-not-netflix-1099213

tenor.gif
Ok

I suspect the biggest difference is that he wasn't afforded the time to play around with the script before/during filming. LOTR I would say benefited from this greatly where as the Hobbit films for me felt much more disjointed. I think they definitely had plenty of good material in them but equally a lot that was less so and plots that didn't run nearly as smoothly.

The whole plot with the elves especially for me felt rushed and confused, some hints at Thranduil being quite an interesting character that never really came to much and a sappy romance thrown in instead.

Honestly, I don’t remember much about the Hobbit movies. They were so bad my brain just deleted those memories.

No, but most of the cgi was done in either 1080p or 2K resolution so it will not hold up well in the transition to 4K and higher resolutions, much like the Star Wars prequels. Thankfully the LotR films use a lot of live action filming and live action effects (animatronics, makeup effects, physical props, etc.) so most of each of the films will not feel out of place in step with display technology breakthroughs.

Peter Jackson needs to learn how to do direct something else no created by JRR. He darn lucky he had the exclusives. Seriously anyone can direct the LOTR, and Hobbit. How can you screw it up as long as the budget is there? Everything is done for you.

Back