Should Peter Jackson update LOTR with better graphics?

I thought overall the original trilogy looked better than the Hobbit, waaaay too much CGI.

EG. The Hobbit where all the orcs are CGI and everyones Matrix flying all over the place

Vs

The original films where everything has a more real feel to it with the actors doing their own movements with weight to their actions and the orcs being actual actors instead of green screen puppets, I much prefer this, just feels more gritty and real.

3cc453e9d9ba41fc19aa3ed7580977b0.jpg

I thought overall the original trilogy looked better than the Hobbit, waaaay too much CGI.

EG. The Hobbit where all the orcs are CGI and everyones Matrix flying all over the place

Vs

The original films where everything has a more real feel to it with the actors doing their own movements with weight to their actions and the orcs being actual actors instead of green screen puppets, I much prefer this, just feels more gritty and real.

All I saw of the Hobbit movies was the trailers, and they looked like an absurd CGI mess and like Jackson had just thrown up his hands, giving away creative control to a team of studio execs.
If the effects looked bad in a trailer the film on the big screen in 48 fps must've been a bit much

I don't think it's necessary. They could do it as an attempt at an easy cash grab if they really wanted. I wouldn't pay for it unless I found myself needing to replace my current copies for some other reason than wanting better CGI.

I can’t imagine a Silmarillion movie being good by anyone. Maybe a series. It’s just too disjointed as a narrative to make into a cohesive movie.

It could be an anthology of shorter stories.

Plenty of epic stuff there.

Vs

A big difference was that with 3D they couldn't do the same perspective tricks they did in the original(as the two cameras are viewing from slightly different positions) for the hobbits/dwarves smaller sizes so a lot of it ended up as CGI instead.

Also I think simply things became a little played out, so many of the action scennes were basically the same thing we'd already seen in LOTR so he felt he had to do something different but often ended up bloated like that barrel scene.

In terms of brevity I would argue as long as they are Jacksons LOTR films are actually very good there, the books are have vastly more detail to them which for the most part is I think slimmed down effectively.

Vs

Yeah the Maori stuntmen dressed up as the fighting Uruk hai was a stroke of genius. Looked way more realistic than the cgi abominations.

Update LOTR in 2018?

Black Frodo ... White Orcs ... Make Mordor Great Again dialogue... Purple haired transgender Legolas ...

I'd need pics of Legolas before I comment further
the dwarfs and hobbits are now going to be called "little people"

in all seriousness, he could do The Silmarillion with today's cgi would be good

Have you read the Silmarillion? The shit is boring as fuck and extremely lengthy. It'd be impossible to translate that into a film without making it into 20 series.

Have you read the Silmarillion? The shit is boring as fuck and extremely lengthy. It'd be impossible to translate that into a film without making it into 20 series.
There's no way to do the Silmarillion in traditional three act structure but the right director not Peter Jackson and a good editor could make a fine film from various stories therein

All I saw of the Hobbit movies was the trailers, and they looked like an absurd CGI mess and like Jackson had just thrown up his hands, giving away creative control to a team of studio execs.
If the effects looked bad in a trailer the film on the big screen in 48 fps must've been a bit much
Hobbit looked nice enough in a good movie theater. But when they showed it on cablr tv it looked like a cgi trailer from a mediocre 2010 PC game.
I thik they should either go full CGI for such movies, or use oldschool techniques like in original LOTR trilogy.

There is a show coming out, biggest budget for a tv show in history
No, it won't. TV reporters aren't the most educated or skeptical breed, IMO, which is why I notice they tend to reprint marketing shared with them without scrutiny.
New Lord of the Rings TV show will reportedly run for five seasons, first will focus on Aragorn
The Independent said:
Having beaten out the likes of Netflix and HBO, Amazon Studios secured the rights to turn the J. R. R. Tolkien novels into a TV show in a record-breaking deal reaching $250m with the author's estates working alongside New Line Cinema - the studio behind Peter Jackson's trilogy - to bring it to the small screen for a "multi-season commitment"...

So, how long will it run for? According to The Hollywood Reporter, Amazon Studios has committed to five seasons with production scheduled to begin at an undetermined time in the next two years. Amazon also confirmed there may be the potential for additional spin-offs in the future.
Until I see more concrete figures I'll take for granted that is the budget: $250m for 5 years. It doesn't say how much of this is licensing, production, or marketing.

Game of Thrones ran a production budget of $50m-$60m for the first season. It saw a 15% increase in the second season (~$58m-$69m). Seasons #3-#5 ran a budget of ~$80m per season, and Season #6 had a $100m+ budget. Season #7 apparently ran about the same per-episode budget as that season, but only had 7 episodes, and so probably cost just $70m or so. The penultimate episode became noteworthy since "The Battle of Blackwater" in the second season for running extraordinary budgets, and I recall reading in these later seasons, despite averages, would run a ~$15m standalone budget. Meanwhile, the 8th and final season is going to run a budget of $15m per episode for six episodes: $90m.

So, by my calculations, splitting the difference in the first two seasons, and rounding a bit, we're looking at Game of Thrones running a series production budget of...
  1. $55m
  2. $65m
  3. $80m
  4. $80m
  5. $80m
  6. $100m
  7. $70m
  8. $90m
TOTAL = $620m

LOTR is gonna need to step their shit up if Amazon wants to make that claim.

*Edit*
Second source:
http://fortune.com/2018/04/06/lord-of-the-rings-amazon-most-expensive/

The series is already slated to go at least five seasons, and it won’t be cheap: Amazon expects to spend at least $1 billion on its production. That price tag will make it the most expensive TV show in history, The Hollywood Reporter reports.
<mma4>
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...v-series-landed-at-amazon-not-netflix-1099213
On Nov. 13, Amazon Studios beat out Netflix for a $250 million rights deal with the Tolkien estate, publisher HarperCollins and New Line Cinema that includes a five-season commitment to bring The Lord of the Rings to the small screen. With the clock ticking, Amazon must be in production within two years, according to the terms of the pact. When production expenses like casting, producers and visual effects are factored in, the series is expected to cost north of $1 billion.
tenor.gif

Last edited:
agree, should do it for all old movies and have them set in modern times,

No, it won't. TV reporters aren't the most educated or skeptical breed, IMO, which is why I notice they tend to reprint marketing shared with them without scrutiny.
New Lord of the Rings TV show will reportedly run for five seasons, first will focus on Aragorn

Until I see more concrete figures I'll take for granted that is the budget: $250m for 5 years. It doesn't say how much of this is licensing, production, or marketing.

Game of Thrones ran a production budget of $50m-$60m for the first season. It saw a 15% increase in the second season (~$58m-$69m). Seasons #3-#5 ran a budget of ~$80m per season, and Season #6 had a $100m+ budget. Season #7 apparently ran about the same per-episode budget as that season, but only had 7 episodes, and so probably cost just $70m or so. The penultimate episode became noteworthy since "The Battle of Blackwater" in the second season for running extraordinary budgets, and I recall reading in these later seasons, despite averages, would run a ~$15m standalone budget. Meanwhile, the 8th and final season is going to run a budget of $15m per episode for six episodes: $90m.

So, by my calculations, splitting the difference in the first two seasons, and rounding a bit, we're looking at Game of Thrones running a series production budget of...
  1. $55m
  2. $65m
  3. $80m
  4. $80m
  5. $80m
  6. $100m
  7. $70m
  8. $90m
TOTAL = $620m

LOTR is gonna need to step their shit up if Amazon wants to make that claim.

*Edit*
Second source:
http://fortune.com/2018/04/06/lord-of-the-rings-amazon-most-expensive/

<mma4>
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...v-series-landed-at-amazon-not-netflix-1099213

tenor.gif

Naw man, Bezos is going to personally bank roll this, budget of $250 million per episode. :D

No, because I dont need to be invited to a dozen LoTR marathons to watch them all in a row. Fuuuuuck that shit. Seen them once, seen them a hundred times. Never again.

I've had similar fleeting thoughts about Pixar. I wonder if it's possible to apply an "updated skin" to an older film's texture, lighting, and atmosphere. I wonder if it would be easy to reposition the camera; focal depth should be fairly simple.

Vs

I would have believed this except the part that said “without noticed.” Seems like something a Russian troll farm cake up with to sew discord among the West.

Back