Should no gi grappling include other forms of submissions?

Full Nelson is a neck crank, which are almost always illegal in gi and no gi competitions.

When you start breaking fingers you're putting a person's job at risk.

I feel that this is the strongest argument into why small joint manipulation is considered illegal in grappling tournaments. Due to the majority of participants having day jobs, I'm betting it would be a huge turnoff for them knowing that finger breaking would be a norm.

You gotta be really careful with pressure points man. If you hit the one under the armpit you can activate the person's lymphatic system. They won't feel the effects until a couple hours afterwards. Essentially, there lymph nodes swell and they can die if not properly treated, usually requires a trip to the hospital. Pressure points are a bad idea.

You gotta be really careful with pressure points man. If you hit the one under the armpit you can activate the person's lymphatic system. They won't feel the effects until a couple hours afterwards. Essentially, there lymph nodes swell and they can die if not properly treated, usually requires a trip to the hospital. Pressure points are a bad idea.

I have heard that before and that is why certain pressure point areas like under the armpit, sternum or temple are forbidden and used in extreme martial arts like krav maga.

Isn't small joint manipulation legal in Pankration?

I hope you're joking- if not that's the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Well if you think about it, grappling is on some level supposed to simulate a fighting scenario (loosely), and in a real fight breaking someone's finger isn't going to put an end to it. Every other submission in the book could potentially end a real fight, or at least severely handicap your opponent (armbar), but small joints are really just a pain move.

Try breaking your fingers and then try to grip something or punch. Pretty sure the fights over. IIRC chimpanzee's will break or rip the fingers off 'cause they know other monkeys/humans are fucked without them. Or maybe someone just needs to teach them how to armbar :D

Back