Should Nate Marquardt Retire?

Looks like it. I thought he was going to be a beast at 170. Most undersized middle weights need to have speed, but he doesn't seem to have it.

Then again I had a lot of craft beers tonight, anyone agree with me?

What did you have? I bought 'twentyone grams' from DeMolen, but to be honest I wasn't impressed as Gus wasn't impressed with Jones.

he's one of those inconsistent fighters who, one day looks like he can ko everyone and the next looks helpless in the octagon.He should retire and avoid senseless damage at all cost. He gave us great performances, the Maia KO, the street fighter combo on Gouveia and Woodley,the Kunioki beatdown,etc

I agree with the first sentence but not with the second. He hasn't really taken much damage in his last two fights, despite losing tonight. Not only that there are no signs of damage.

I think people should be a little more thoughtful before suggestion that someone just give up their entire career/livelihood.

What did you have? I bought 'twentyone grams' from DeMolen, but to be honest I wasn't impressed as Gus wasn't impressed with Jones.

goose island Green Line, Lagunitas IPA, Lagunitas little sumpin sumpin, and my fave delerium tremens.

I agree with the first sentence but not with the second. He hasn't really taken much damage in his last two fights, despite losing tonight. Not only that there are no signs of damage.

I think people should be a little more thoughtful before suggestion that someone just give up their entire career/livelihood.

He's 1-4 in his last 5 and seems like he's on the worst stage on his career. Everyone suggest retirement because no one wants to see a fighter go in the same way as Chuck,or Shogun right now.

When Marquardt KO'd Woodley to take the Strikeforce belt and talked about facing GSP for UFC belt, I thought maybe he could give GSP a challenge, but now I do not think Marquardt is close to GSP. He doesn't seem to have the fight IQ or gameplanning and he didn't have Greg Jackson in his corner and no one seemed to observe anything and give him things to adjust mid-fight. He just doesn't seem to have the mental game.

He's 1-4 in his last 5 and seems like he's on the worst stage on his career. Everyone suggest retirement because no one wants to see a fighter go in the same way as Chuck,or Shogun right now.

Chuck got knocked out in four of his last six fights. As for Shogun, I don't think he should retire yet unless he just wants to. Yes, he's on a pretty bad skid but he hasn't taken the sort of damage that Chuck did at the end. If Shogun wants to keep fighting, let him fight.

As for Marquardt, yes, he is 1-4 in his last five but he only lost two of those fights by KO. That constitutes retirement? There are a lot of other solutions here. As I proposed earlier, a simple organization change could could not only maintain an income (important for any adult) but also possibly lead to yet another championship belt.

If Nate WANTS to retire, he should retire. But should he be forced out at this point "for his own good"? Not at all.

Chuck got knocked out in four of his last six fights. As for Shogun, I don't think he should retire yet unless he just wants to. Yes, he's on a pretty bad skid but he hasn't taken the sort of damage that Chuck did at the end. If Shogun wants to keep fighting, let him fight.

As for Marquardt, yes, he is 1-4 in his last five but he only lost two of those fights by KO. That constitutes retirement? There are a lot of other solutions here. As I proposed earlier, a simple organization change could could not only maintain an income (important for any adult) but also possibly lead to yet another championship belt.

If Nate WANTS to retire, he should retire. But should he be forced out at this point "for his own good"? Not at all.

I hear what you're saying and I respect your opinion, I think most people who'd like to see him retire only because he's been in the fight game a long time now and it's very unlikely he'll be fighting for a belt. Yes he hasn't been KO'd in awhile, but I'm sure he's still has taken quite a bit of head trauma in training and actual fights, not to mention the damage his legs have taken from leg kicks by Sponge and Tavares recently.

Back