Should my RC car wheels be larger on the right if i am only turning left?

Danger Dave

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

My dad and I race our cars and our makeshift track (aka trees) only goes left. I thought if I make the wheels on the right larger and the ones on the slope on the left smaller I might gain an advantage. I did a few laps and it feels fine. Is this engineering sound?

Thanks!

It will either help you, give no noticeable change, or make you crash. Only one way to find out.

Try it out. If you could optimize the tire size difference with the turn radius you may be on to something.

On a related note, do one-legged ducks swim in circles?

Its called tire stagger, and will make you turn better to the left. Go too far and you will need to turn the wheels to the right just to go straight. There is definitely a sweet spot.

That's what the differential is for in the front axel. If you go straight like that, you'll turn to the left, like a tapered styrofoam cup.

It may have a adjustment under the front axle to correct this. A lot of them do at least they used to.

car-explosion.gif

My dad and I race our cars and our makeshift track (aka trees) only goes left. I thought if I make the wheels on the right larger and the ones on the slope on the left smaller I might gain an advantage. I did a few laps and it feels fine. Is this engineering sound?

Thanks!

I was never into circle track / stock car racing, but was into other RC stuff and did used to read a little on stock car racing, way back when I was a teen. It was pretty common tactic of circle track racers running stock car style bodies on hard surface to run slightly larger outside tires.

Last edited:

Thanks!

Stagger is very useful on oval and circle tracks and is very commonly used.

Back