Should MMA implement a 10 count if you are saved by the bell?

I've seen fights waved off after the bell. Can't think of a specific example but I know I have.
Yes... but that doesnt change the fact that sometimes things arent carried out correctly. Should we leave this to be randomly decided?

The 10 count or anything else is definitly an improvement

If a fighter needs his corners help to get back to his feet, and can do it of his own power. How is that not a ko?

To be honest Herb asked him if he was ok and he said yes. then he had to go and handle all the ruckus on the other side. If Anderson hadnt celebrated.maybe herb wouldve waved the fight off if he saw that,but he didnt,cos Anderson screwed the pooch. We will never know now.

Bisping wasn't out, he started talking to Herb a second after he was knocked down.

It was Yamasaki. Also, Bisping wouldn't or couldn't get up until past ten seconds.
We are both wrong haha.
1241786.jpg

Regarding Bisping. It's all speculation anyway.

The 10 count is unnecessary and the 8 count is dangerous. MMA is statistically safer than boxing is the reason is, when the fighter is in trouble the fight is over. If someone is concussed and they get up at the count of 9, you're asking them to go and get concussed again.

The ref and doctor can stop the fight in the break between rounds and it happens quite frequently at the lower level shows. One thing you'll notice is, when someone gets hit right at the bell, they have to get up and go to their corner under their own power. The ref will not allow the fighter's corner to assist them. This gives the ref an opportunity to observe the fighter's gate. Can he walk under his own power? Is he stumbling? Is he dragging his feet. These are indicators that the fighter is cognitively impaired and the doctor needs to be brought in to assess the fighter.

Bisping wasn't out, he started talking to Herb a second after he was knocked down.

He definitley wasnt out. I think what the TS was trying to say is,if there was a 10 count,and bisping struggled to get to his feet in 10,they could have called it,but i dont like this rule. Fighters can get saved by the bell,it happens all the time. That's what its there for.

To be honest Herb asked him if he was ok and he said yes. then he had to go and handle all the ruckus on the other side. If Anderson hadnt celebrated.maybe herb wouldve waved the fight off if he saw that,but he didnt,cos Anderson screwed the pooch. We will never know now.
Good point. Hadn't thought about that yet. It really took a while until Anderson got it too.

MMA is a different sport than boxing. No counts!

If herb dean was a Bisping fan he wouldn't have waited for the follow up H bomb to land and stopped the fight.

Just kidding....... I think

what does being out cold have to do with anything?

being able to talk, has nothing to do with being able to walk and stand.

I think this would muddy up judging and encourage "round stealing" but it's not a terrible idea.

Bisping won though.

So every time someone is knocked down, we should pause the fight and see if they can walk and stand? By your definition then Anderson lost in the second because he got knocked down. He wasn't able to walk or stand anymore so therefore he was out cold.

Look, Anderson lost. He's a cheater and fought very unsportsmanlike. I realize you Brazilians worship the guy but facts are facts.

Didn't BJ knock someone out right at the end of a round and then called it between rounds?

Maybe we should talk about a definition of being out/KO'd. For me it's being unconscious. Bisping was definitely wobbled bad but he wasn't unconscious and recovered well.

clearly you don't know how to read.

I I never said there should be a count for evey time is knocked down.

So you think its ok for a corner to be able to pick his fighter off the mat, and put him on the stool?

So every time someone is knocked down, we should pause the fight and see if they can walk and stand? By your definition then Anderson lost in the second because he got knocked down. He wasn't able to walk or stand anymore so therefore he was out cold.

Look, Anderson lost. He's a cheater and fought very unsportsmanlike. I realize you Brazilians worship the guy but facts are facts.

clearly you don't know how to read.

I I never said there should be a count for evey time is knocked down.

So you think its ok for a corner to be able to pick his fighter off the mat, and put him on the stool?
Clearly it was okay, because he was able to come back and win the next round.

The reason they stop fights is because the fighter can no longer defend themselves, and would take unnecessary punishment. Agree or disagree? The next round, Bisping won, so clearly this was not the case?

It's probably not a bad idea. Giving someone 60 seconds to recover just enough to stand and continue getting their bell rung is way more dangerous.

The 10 count in boxing is applied after knockdowns (every knockdown), not only at the end of the round, so you can't compare it to mma. The best solution was for Silva to continue pounding Bisping until the ref stoped the fight or until he was KOd, instead of celebrating prematurely like an idiot.

Back