Should men silently bear their pain? (psychiatrists)

I've been there (and I'm still partially going through it), bottling up the pain will just cause you to find other, often negative, outlets to sate your pain. You don't want to get to the point where holding in your issues causes you to make a mistake you can't ever fix. Trust me I learned that the hard way. Even if a person doesn't want to go to a therapist at least read some self help books or listen to some motivational speakers.

I think it's a good idea if you benefit from it

tho even the women in my family rarely showed emotional pain either, so I never saw it as a manly thing to do just normal growing up. Venting never did anything for me at all so i would rather be stoic towards pain.

Last edited:
Men should not whine about their feelings or cry.

if you use this correctly it can be very effective.

just venting your frustrations, anger and shit but seeking no advice to proactively diffuse your feelings, emotions, situations that you find yourself in.

actually utilising the person you are paying, and applying their knowledge and thoughts to help you handle your own life can be very effective.

so for me, i seen a psychologist for 8 sessions when i was 23, and at that time i felt the world was against me and i couldnt draw the right card in life for anything. so i just went to this guy, and he was shit, but i didnt know he was shit because he was the first psychologist i seen. so i went and just vented and vented and vented with out taking anything back from what he was telling me. now keep in mind he was shit and i just felt the world owed me something at least. i got nothing out of it.

i started seeing another psychologist when i was 26 and i had matured a bit, just a bit. but i actually realised i need to seek something out of this otherwise i am wasting my time and money. so doing further reading in between sessions and trying to get a better understanding of how to counter my thoughts, feelings and behaviour lead to me having a better understanding of myself which i wasnt intact with previously. this psychologist has picked me up from the pits and shown and thought me heaps of great things that i apply to my own life outside of that room.

psychologists/psychiatrists work wonders only if you put in the hard work too.

If you hurt your back would you go to physical therapy if you thought it would help?
Would you take a medication for high blood pressure?
Its the same thing. There shouldn't still be a stigma about seeking professional help for anything that ails you.

not just in the area of understanding potential benefits of psychological treatment?

Yeah prob seem closed minded towards things like that.

I would imagine people who think psychology is fake also disregard science as well. Not all of them but I would bet a high number.

If you hurt your back would you go to physical therapy if you thought it would help?
Would you take a medication for high blood pressure?
Its the same thing. There shouldn't still be a stigma about seeking professional help for anything that ails you.

Honestly as another poster alluded to earlier, the only people who really stigmatize it are the dumb ones.

And not like they're dumb cause they stigmatize it, no, they stigmatize it because they're dumb.

These same people generally don't actually know or believe themselves to be dumb, which is also unfortunate.

Personally I had allot of issues over the last 10 years, I'll choose not to go into that. While things are getting better with time, these problems had effected my work, family life, and marriage. I chose to attempt to deal with my issues on my own and it didn't work out so well, besides bringing me to borderline achilolism. Once I decided to set that aside and use some of the tools available to me my life became somewhat more productive and manageable, yet I still shield my family from getting dragged into my personal shit because there isnt much they can really do for me.

The worst is not actually knowing how you feel yourself, if you can't put into words how you feel in your head and heart then what good is talking going to do?

Men should silently bear their pain only if you believe men are not human, and thus not entitled to the full spectrum of emotional responses and expressions.

I think the question is, should society judge men who don't just silently bear their pain?

Being afraid to break social norms is beta as fuck... if you think you need to see a professional then go and do it, its your life after all, fuck everyone else.

Asinine concept -- no one blinks an eye when a man goes to a dr to deal with ailment of any part of their body, but it's taboo when they do the same for their mind? There's as much honor at bottling mental anguish as there is ignoring a huge lump on your nut or blood in your stool.

Now men who call AAA to change a tire... thats a different story.
Why not call AAA to change a tire? They have pneumatic tools which shits all over the crap included with your car and it's already paid for by membership that is used to mostly cover towing (that you may not even use)

If you routinely show your pain, it hurts the women around you. Just my experience.

You gotta man up.

Nothing wrong with it. For most painful things (relationship stuff, mild to moderate unhappiness with life circumstances, ie.), I think finding a positive/productive outlet to take up time and take your mind away from the brunt of it is the best way to get past things. You need to think about the issue sometimes though, let it trickle in a little bit at a time so you can process and accept/move past whatever it is. That's called managing your emotions.

Other times a psychiatrist or therapy group could really help. Say a loved one died suddenly, something like that. Is a guy whose wife or kid died a puss for seeing a shrink? Naaaa.

No. That's how dudes end up in clock towers...bang chicks, cry, smoke weed...do whatever the fuck you gotta do, just get it the fuck out.

Obviously not.

But in the context of other people freaking out I feel like a man has the responsibility of keeping face and firmly grounding a steadfast reality.

The worst is not actually knowing how you feel yourself, if you can't put into words how you feel in your head and heart then what good is talking going to do?
This is a real good point, especially if you're going through something traumatic that you've never experienced before. Sometimes you do have to suffer and work things out for yourself, but I do believe there is merit in speaking with a professional that can help analyze the thoughts and emotions you're trying to process and deal with.

That being said, I've always preferred to work through my issues by myself or with close friends whose opinions I trust and value. It can be hard to open up your deepest and darkest secrets to a complete stranger, at least for me.

I tried it - did nothing for me except piss my money away.

Some people who legit don't have anyone to talk to and may need life advice sure.

But for the most part, you're pissing away money to someone who's just there to prescribe drugs and don't give 2 shits about you

Some people who legit don't have anyone to talk to and may need life advice sure.

But for the most part, you're pissing away money to someone who's just there to prescribe drugs and don't give 2 shits about you

Yeah I look at it as a venting session. An hour to vent. Women need to vent. Men find other outlets, like going to a strip club, or hitting the heavy bags, or watching a live sporting event, martial arts etc. We already know what our deep seated issues are. Why pay a psychiatrist for something you already know?

Back