Should men silently bear their pain? (psychiatrists)

Bay Area

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Specifically emotional pain. I remember when I was growing up, seeing a psychiatrist was a major taboo for a man. You just didn't do it. As a man, you were supposed to carry your burden with dignity. Bottle up your pain. Now it seems, going to a psychiatrist is the chic thing to do for men.

I'm not talking about seeing a doctor for perscription drugs. I mean specifically sitting on a couch, and relaying your life story to a shrink.

Discuss

italy%20mafiosi%20on%20the%20couch--1516930816_v2.grid-6x2.jpg

I tried it - did nothing for me except piss my money away.

men are all different

some can bear it ... some need to vent

whatever works for the individual is what they should continue doing

Men should not, no. Men who were made to "silently bare their pain" often wound up as alcoholics who committed suicide or beat their wives - or turned to any other number of outlets.

People find outlets for their shit. A shrink is an outlet, and can be a healthier one than lots of other options. Doesn't mean it will work for everyone, but, it's got better odds than liquor.

Outdated way of thinking. If someone is having problems with stress, anxiety, depression etc. it doesn't do any good to bottle up your emotions and self medicate.

If anything thinking having feelings or struggling mentally is a sign of weakness just fucks people up. Address it properly so you can continue on with your life, instead of wasting your time battling your demons alone.

When I was in grade school, my parents got divorced and I was forced to join a group therapy sessions. It was all girls; the rest of the boys from broken families refused to go I guess. I didn't know I had a choice.

Long story short; the girls all lost respect for me and never looked at me the same way again. There was a distinct difference in how I was viewed before joining therapy and afterwards, not only among the girls who attended but from the girls who knew I attended. I lost face and my masculinity was diminished by sharing emotions in front of a group of girls.

Even as children, these young girls instinctively knew it was wrong for a male to talk about his feeling. They lost respect for me and it was never regained.

It is what it is. Human nature is a real bitch sometimes.

Bro, dianetics... Psychiatry is so last century... I mean who believes in evidenced based medicine anymore when you can use pseudoscience and audit your mind like the IRS audits taxes?

Asinine concept -- no one blinks an eye when a man goes to a dr to deal with ailment of any part of their body, but it's taboo when they do the same for their mind? There's as much honor at bottling mental anguish as there is ignoring a huge lump on your nut or blood in your stool.

Now men who call AAA to change a tire... thats a different story.

Bro, dianetics... Psychiatry is so last century... I mean who believes in evidenced based medicine anymore when you can use pseudoscience and audit your mind like the IRS audits taxes?

Psychiatry isn't evidence based medicine.

Asinine concept -- no one blinks an eye when a man goes to a dr to deal with ailment of any part of their body, but it's taboo when they do the same for their mind? There's as much honor at bottling mental anguish as there is ignoring a huge lump on your nut or blood in your stool.

Now men who call AAA to change a tire... thats a different story.

what's wrong with nut lumps and stool blood?

I was going to say that but in a way it is based on trials and case studies.

no clue what dianetics is about though. For all I know that's based on trials and case studies as well.

I drink.

I don't think there's anything wrong with men seeing somebody. I actually never even thought of it as a woman thing, I just thought it was a people thing. But then again I've known a lot of guys that needed (and were getting) psychiatric help so it seemed normal to me.

It can be real helpful I've found, once you find the right person to go see. Otherwise I find it's useless. Anyways, if I knew somebody that was struggling I'd suggest it to them, and not think less of them for it /: gotta look after yourself and not worry how others are gonna judge you for it.

Real men release their emotions through a single manly tear.

120305-putin-tears-1a.jpg

Actually it is. Maybe read a book sometime. Half my post was in jest and the other half was serious. Lol, you don't actually think I'd seriously discuss medicine with some of the fools in here.

I was going to say that but in a way it is based on trials and case studies.

no clue what dianetics is about though. For all I know that's based on trials and case studies as well.

I drink.

Lol, dianetics is based on a brainwash cult founded by a pedophile science fiction writer.

Lol, dianetics is based on a brainwash cult founded by a pedophile science fiction writer.

I have to take your word for that. I have no idea other than it was written by L. Ron Hubbard, right?

Talking to someone is better than bottling up and blowing up.

Back