Should Lyoto Machida...

Kung Fu bb

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
... use his possible suspension time to prepare himself to cut down to welterweight and make a last run at the title?

I did some research on a lot of the WW fighters and saw there are a lot of guys who are taller and that have a longer reach than Lyoto. Guys like Neil Magny, Dong Hyun Kim, Carlos Condit, Seth Baczynski, Demian Maia, just to name a few. Lyoto is 38 and some of these guys are in the mid thirties, Maia is 38 just like him and is making weight perfectly well and has his exact height and reach.

Lyoto was just one of those very talented guys who fought in their natural weight division like Edgar and became champion at some point. IMO he´s not done yet but eventually everyone around him just got a lot bigger, obviously at LHW but even at MW, take a look at his 3 last losses, Weidman, Rockhold and Romero... besides being 3 killers, these guys are just much bigger than him.

In my opinion his biggest difficulties now are his age and the possible suspension time he´ll get from USADA. But if he decided to do it and did it correctly, how do you see his chances against the top 10 at WW?
Champion : Tyron Woodley

1 Robbie Lawler

2 Stephen Thompson

3 Rory Mc Donald

4 Demian Maia

5 Carlos Condit

6 Kelvin Gastelum

7 Neil Magny

8 Johny Hendrix

9 Rick Story

10 Dong Hyun Kim

lyoto machida.jpg

No, he should retire.

Late 30s, long career, fought the best, held the title, fought for gold in two weight classes and was the first real test for Jones and Weidman.

What more does he have to prove? Nothing.

No, he should retire.

Late 30s, long career, fought the best, held the title, fought for gold in two weight classes and was the first real test for Jones and Weidman.

What more does he have to prove? Nothing.
I see, but he had a smart career, one the most elusive fighters in the UFC ever, so he didn´t take much damage, I think he can still go, but the MW division just seems solid and full of killers right now.

He should try to get out of his ufc contract and fight in EFN or Rizin. EFN would be better for him since it's in a cage. His style would be much worse in a ring. Of course if his suspension is short, then stay with the ufc.

He should try to get out of his ufc contract and fight in EFN or Rizin. EFN would be better for him since it's in a cage. His style would be much worse in a ring. Of course if his suspension is short, then stay with the ufc.

Fedor vs. Machida!

I love it. Good way to end his career.

Machida needs a trilogy fight with Shogun at a catch weight.

Then just use his for super/nostalgia fights. I don't to see him get smashed by the top 5 MWs.

I don't think he could make WW and at this point in his career he probably wouldn't even entertain the idea. Retirement is a more realistic path for him to take, hes nearing 40 and isn't exactly the puzzle he used to be

This has to be a joke. Welterweight? Lol

He should move back to LHW and go to bellator. Would still have a speed advantage or even at UFC LHW he could have some interesting match ups. He doesn't need to fight the likes of Cormier.

Fedor vs. Machida!

I love it. Good way to end his career.

Heck, I'd watch that, even though they are 2 of my favorite fighters. Machida fought at HW for years, so let's do it!

Machidas my favorite fighter, a drop to WW would be interesting, but i'd much rather watch him in good stylistic matchups against guys ranked 5-15, instead of against the killers. funny though, he could probably beat bisping and become champ right now.

although machida vs either condit, maia, magny, or wonderboy would be fun as hell.

although machida vs either condit, maia, magny, or wonderboy would be fun as hell.

Machida destroys those guys if he somehow gets to WW.

Machida should just move to Bellator or One FC.

welterweight is too talented, he should move up to heavyweight

I would have liked to see him close Dan Henderson's mouth before he retires.

I still think he could win the MW title, i mean look at the 2 guys who are fighting for the title right now lol

Back