Should kids be sparring at this age?

I mean definitely not spar with contact to the head. Most places that have kids spar make them keep body only but still wear headgear and shinguards and stuff, which I think is fine.

well from 7th grade on fights at my school were a daily thing..... left alot of fuckers leaking... took a few good hits myself. most kids get upset cause they could not pee standing at urinal when 2 dude throwing hands behind em

Wow no way should they be sparring with head gear in a safe environment!! Instead they should be out spilling their brains all over a skate park and doing hard drugs!

As if a developed brain wants to get punched any more. At least children still have increased plasticity (capability of brain to repair itself).
It’s not good either way. Even older brains still can repair themselves somewhat, fasting has shown to repair damaged brains.

It’s not good either way. Even older brains still can repair themselves somewhat, fasting has shown to repair damaged brains.
Yeah but a young brain is much better at it. There are even children in which they take away one brain hemisphere and they function relatively normally.

Wrestling and grappling are safer for kids according to the expert.
Sparring at that age is very young and very risky, the brain is still developing.

I sparred in karate as a kid, granted it was points

Boxing in teens as well

I think they can, but good coaches will make sure they don't go 100% and don't spar often

I have no issues with it. Some people let their kids ride dirt bikes. Combat sports are less dangerous.

This thread makes me think if you had a kid interested in martial arts

I would have them at karate and judo from no age

Once they hit about 11 drop karate and add boxing, but continue judo until adulthood

Mix in wrestling as a teen and perhaps start bjj in late teens

By the time said kid is about 22 he will be a fucking animal

View attachment 814711

Khabib wrestling with bears at the age of nine, kids brutally sparring at the age of 6-7. Where do we draw the line? I know it takes a special human being to become a UFC champion. Maybe the sooner you start sparring, the more chances you give yourself to become a UFC champion?

What do you think?

If your a descent parent the answer would be an easy NO!!!

Muay Thai has lots of matches between children. Here is a match between a boy and girl.

Yes they should be doing full contact sparring with no headgear and tap or snap submission training

A little too young for my likings, but they will be ready to take hits when they come of age...

If they want to be completely burned out by age 23, then sure.

Yeah but a young brain is much better at it. There are even children in which they take away one brain hemisphere and they function relatively normally.

I think the main problem is that young people’s skulls are still developing, and don’t protect the brain from trauma as an adult skull would...

That being said, the kids in the initial post were wearing head gear, and at that age I don’t think they are able to hit with any serious force.

Still, training should focus more on avoiding damage than receiving damage, especially at that age.

Back