Should I use a belt for squats and deads?

wow I see. Thats a lot longer than I thought to wait. I was just considering one because Im starting to get to the point now with squats where I sometimes hit a sticking point on the way up that I need to push through, so that got me thinking about hernias lol. I guess Ill just keep going for now and see how I feel. I dont feel wobbly at all, so I guess its not the most important thing atm.

The wobbliness was just my own individual way to assess my own unique needs. You may very well want to wear a belt, but it might be for different reasons. If you think you've been squatting for long enough to have the form down and you're lifting a reasonable amount of weight for you then I'd say that you should go for it. See if you like it. Sticking points aren't necessarily dangerous; they're mostly just annoying and hold back your progress, haha.

I used to use a belt. Stopped squatting for a while. Now I've come back and haven't touched a belt and feel great. I'm sure as I move up towards where I once was I'll go back to it

I know in other threads that people give a theory about using a belt constantly may cause you to need it. Similar thinking along the lines of increasing your belted squat may not increase your unbelted squat. For the first time in a long time, I'm squatting without a belt due a strain in my upper abdominal that gets aggravated by my belt. I will say with 100% certainty that I think those theories are bullshit. I'm trying to approach a 20 rep squat with 315 lbs beltless, and I'm already in the rep range or above what I was doing belted. It's been about 3 weeks of beltless.

Me. I'm a short person and the belts seem uncomfortable for me. I've only tried a couple leather belts (crappy might i add)and they were digging into my body in the wrong spots.

You just need a properly fitting, decent quality belt.

I know in other threads that people give a theory about using a belt constantly may cause you to need it. Similar thinking along the lines of increasing your belted squat may not increase your unbelted squat. For the first time in a long time, I'm squatting without a belt due a strain in my upper abdominal that gets aggravated by my belt. I will say with 100% certainty that I think those theories are bullshit. I'm trying to approach a 20 rep squat with 315 lbs beltless, and I'm already in the rep range or above what I was doing belted. It's been about 3 weeks of beltless.

Good to know, I'm gonna go with using it whenever I'm squatting. Maybe once every other week taking it off just to make sure I can still do everything fine. Noticed it lets me get a little deeper while still being comfortable with my form as well.

Mark Bell disagrees, at least for some people

I think I'm saying basically the same thing as Bell. The important thing is to find a belt that fits properly. A 4" tall 13mm belt may not work for a small skinny guy. He may need a 2 1/2 - 3" tall belt that is 10mm thick. A nylon belt like the ones Spud sells may also be a good alternative.

The wobbliness was just my own individual way to assess my own unique needs. You may very well want to wear a belt, but it might be for different reasons. If you think you've been squatting for long enough to have the form down and you're lifting a reasonable amount of weight for you then I'd say that you should go for it. See if you like it. Sticking points aren't necessarily dangerous; they're mostly just annoying and hold back your progress, haha.

haha, that they do. Thats what scares me about sticking points in the squat though. In other lifts I feel fine just pushing through it to complete the rep, but in squats I get scared Im gonna get a hernia if I do that...probably tv's fault xD

I think I'm saying basically the same thing as Bell. The important thing is to find a belt that fits properly. A 4" tall 13mm belt may not work for a small skinny guy. He may need a 2 1/2 - 3" tall belt that is 10mm thick. A nylon belt like the ones Spud sells may also be a good alternative.

This is true. Sorry dude, misinterpreted what he said, then in turn misinterpreted you.

Back