Should I use a belt for squats and deads?

HockeyBjj

Putting on the foil
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Short version: What are the pros and cons for using a belt when squatting and deadlifting?

So I've been lifting for a while and normally only used a belt for safety if I was basically maxing on those lifts. But last 2 days I noticed that I could do an extra 30 pounds with proper form for each when repping my normal 3x5.

Wondering if its better to use the belt since it means I can push/pull more weight to work my legs, or if not having the belt is better for stability muscles?

If it matters, I'm 5'8" 155 lbs. and repping 295 squat and 315 deadlift. Trying to recover some of my lost strength when I dropped 50 lbs to not be a fatass anymore without putting much fat back on

Use a belt. Read the bit on belts in the FAQ. Ask any questions that remain.

My personal experience, a good belt added as much as 30-35 on my squat. But only added about 10 on my deadlift. However, when doing rep work on deadlift (6-10 reps) I noticed it helped a lot in keeping proper form.

Damn. I didn't get anywhere close to 30 lbs out of my belt. I got at most 10. I also squat high bar, though, so maybe that has something to do with it because of the different torso angle and whatnot. Either way, I'm jelly.

Damn. I didn't get anywhere close to 30 lbs out of my belt. I got at most 10. I also squat high bar, though, so maybe that has something to do with it because of the different torso angle and whatnot. Either way, I'm jelly.

Same. Although, I don't have a super duper amazing belt. You rockin' an izner, path?

I read the belt thread:
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/belt-thread-2347757/

I do not have a belt and have not lifted with one yet. Can someone elaborate on how it makes the lifts safer? Is it only through the increased intra-abdominal pressure, or do the trunk muscles contract more? I would be more interested in the safety aspect than getting a few extra pounds.

I know the last thread we basically said its your choice when to use a belt. But is there a minimum you would recommend to most noobs? maybe 1.5 bw on squat or even sooner?

I know the last thread we basically said its your choice when to use a belt. But is there a minimum you would recommend to most noobs? maybe 1.5 bw on squat or even sooner?

It really depends on you. I didn't start wearing mine until 2.5 years after I started lifting (I had to take 8 months off during this time to rehab my knee). My squat numbers were more like 2.1x BW and deadlift 2.5x BW at the time, but I'm a small man so the numbers will be skewed. I think attaching some sort of number to it is the wrong approach. I started wearing mine when I felt wobbly during my squat sets, and it has proven to be an extremely useful tool when it comes to helping me que to keep my back and abs tight. You should try it on when you've already learned good squat form and have been squatting for a reasonable amount of time. At this time you should break it in and see if you like it.

You can send that my way.

If you had said this a few months ago I probably would have, haha. I've had it since 2010-ish, and simply never used it because I wasn't wearing it right, and it wasn't broken in so I thought it was always going to be uncomfortable. My lifting partner loved to wear it, so when his broke I lent it to him for a few months. After he stopped lifting with me, I tried it on and immediately fell in love with it. It took me awhile to get over the whole feeling like I'm getting bear hugged to death sensation on the deadlift, but now I think it's awesome.

I've never regretted buying mine. It helps with my form and tightness so much that any negatives there may be are outweighed by the positives.

It really depends on you. I didn't start wearing mine until 2.5 years after I started lifting (I had to take 8 months off during this time to rehab my knee). My squat numbers were more like 2.1x BW and deadlift 2.5x BW at the time, but I'm a small man so the numbers will be skewed. I think attaching some sort of number to it is the wrong approach. I started wearing mine when I felt wobbly during my squat sets, and it has proven to be an extremely useful tool when it comes to helping me que to keep my back and abs tight. You should try it on when you've already learned good squat form and have been squatting for a reasonable amount of time. At this time you should break it in and see if you like it.

wow I see. Thats a lot longer than I thought to wait. I was just considering one because Im starting to get to the point now with squats where I sometimes hit a sticking point on the way up that I need to push through, so that got me thinking about hernias lol. I guess Ill just keep going for now and see how I feel. I dont feel wobbly at all, so I guess its not the most important thing atm.

I read the belt thread:
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/belt-thread-2347757/

I do not have a belt and have not lifted with one yet. Can someone elaborate on how it makes the lifts safer? Is it only through the increased intra-abdominal pressure, or do the trunk muscles contract more? I would be more interested in the safety aspect than getting a few extra pounds.

Your trunk muscles are able to contract harder because they have something to push against.

Try this: Bend your arm to 90 degrees like you are in the middle of a bicep curl and flex your bicep as hard as you can. Now do the same thing but find something that you can push your hand against (e.g. the edge of a desk or countertop) and notice how much harder your bicep contracts. Same idea.

The safety aspect and ability to lift more weight are essentially resutling from the same thing. Your core is tighter and more stable which is safer and also always you to transfer force through your body to the bar more efficiently.

I wouldn't say there's a minimum WEIGHT that you need to be lifting... I started using it when I squatted about 225x5 while weighing 180~. First time I put it on, i busted out 255x5 easy lol.

I would say, that as soon as you're able to squat with good form by muscle memory. Then you can start using it...because if your form isn't right (and you're doing something that could cause injury) Adding more weight isn't going to help. But if your form is good. You will get stronger, faster with a belt.

It's required on the squat, optional on the DL, IMO.

I agree, mine feels great for the deep squat, but on my deadlift I feel it kinda digs in and is uncomfortable. I have a 10mm Inzer and its quality and the customer service was good. I may get a 13mm one day.

Thanks for all the answers people, sorry about posting a question and then not getting back on my computer last night. Belt it is.

And I think the reason I'm getting more out of it is its never my leg muscles that give out, my knees will start to move in together and that scares me when squatting so I don't go above that weight. I think the belt helping me with ass down, head up, as well as the trunk muscles contracting. Thanks again.

Using a belt is like using a condom with a dirty hooker. You'll feel better about yourself afterwards. But somewhat dissatisfied cause it didn't feel good. IMO

Same. Although, I don't have a super duper amazing belt. You rockin' an izner, path?

Sure am! 13mm lever :)

I'd say I probably get 30lbs out my inzer, and I squat high bar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back