should I try pain techniques in bjj

wmike9902**

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Im a brown belt in judo and during newaza whenever I get anyones back I pretty much just rub my knuckles along there jaw line to open up a passage to there neck. Even though this is acceptable in my club would it be ok to do in bjj?

UMMMM...
Depends on how you want your partners to feel afterwards.

It IS a legit technique and in some cases when you have your opponenet trapped and are jamming your knuckle in them sometimes you can clear a passage.

On the other hand it opens you up to retaliation later.

Let me share.

I was sparring a Judo BB in newaza randori and he did that very same thing to me.

I pulled guard and used the amr drag to go to his back he re-drug and ended up getting my back with hooks. I defended and he started jamming his knuckles under my jaw...1st one side, then the other...trying to get me to open up. For about 5minutes iw ent through this but did not give it up.

Needless to say when our round was over, iwas very uncomfortable and a little ticked to say the least.,

The next time we sparred I pulled guard, arm drag, he -redrug and so did I and I got HIS back.

I went with a clock choke only he tucked his chin so instead of getting in a good choke I got a nice tight chin vice on him.

Guess what? even though I knew I would not finish the choke I kept running the clock choke until our round expired.

In others words, what goes around comes around.,

exactly I only started doing it because every time someone got my back it felt like I had to knives being jammed on both sides of my face . I think its a solid technique but it can piss some people off bad.

Yes. Hell. Is a choke pleasant? Is any submission pleasant?

I roll with a couple of Judo guys and they use that same move. Does it make me mad, no. But I will roll just a rough as a person wants to roll with me. Things like crossfacing someone with my forearm across their cheek to get their head turned are now open to me.

Like others said. Payback is a bitch sometimes.

I'd say it's pretty sorry to pull on training partners.

I'd say it's pretty sorry to pull on training partners.

QFT. I'm not trying to be a jerk but when I read things like this it makes me really glad the school I go to places so much emphasis on being considerate of your training partners.

tbone

i say its fine, if the guy is dropping his chin to avoid the choke then yes. But remmber what goes around comes around. Only do it to people if you dont mind it being done to you.

Putting your knuckles across his jaw line? That's a new one on me.

I'll put my knuckles into the carotid artery from places like kesa-gatame or mount to open things up (sometimes even get a tap from newbs with the nutcracker choke) but I've never done it on their jawline.

I think you have to use discretion. I would never do it on someone less experienced than me, or who I can generally tap with or without that stuff. Same goes for casual BJJ players, and instructors (who usually let you get to those positions in the first place). But against competitive, tough guys around or above my level, I have no problem using anything...better practice for both of us.

I think you have to use discretion. I would never do it on someone less experienced than me, or who I can generally tap with or without that stuff. Same goes for casual BJJ players, and instructors (who usually let you get to those positions in the first place). But against competitive, tough guys around or above my level, I have no problem using anything...better practice for both of us.

QFT I only use it on the guys around my level or the guys that kick my ass. I wont go around using my knife hands on kids off the street

usually pain techs don't work if the person you are doing it to is used to it.

I personally think it's kind of bush league because of the whole 'consideration for your training partners' idea.

shit comes full circle, expect it in return. There are guys who I roll with who roll "considerately," meaning there not trying to be assholes, but shit does happen. Then there are guys who make it a point to roll like pricks, and the gesture is often returned.

depends is is a live full force roll (but in practise) yeah go for it.

rolling around smoothly not so much

had it done recently to myself by a very small blackbelt, first time in a long time I felt tingly and got my vision blurred

IMO the knuckles in the face are annoying, but you CAN sink the choke without inflicting pain on the person.

You should be able to steer their face by putting your wrist against the nose bone or eyebrow bone.

Back