Should I train with Marcus Soares?

Kimbo's Beard

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I know that sounds like a no brainer but here is my predicament. I have never trained before and am looking to start out. Marcus teaches at a small gym near where I live. But the gym is a martial arts gym where the training revolves around several areas not just BJJ. Which I don't mind but I am mostly interested in the BJJ.

Marcus teaches the BJJ classes but the belt system is intergrated with the other styles (kick boxing, pankration) as well. They have their own unique belt system. Should I just be thankful to train with Marcus and concentrate on learning the basics before I worry about getting into a traditional belt system or should I find a gym where the focus is solely on BJJ. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I live in Vancouver area and there are lots of gyms.

Is that the new Maple Ridge location? I don't think Marcus has any schools in Vancouver, but he teaches at a couple in the surrounding area. Regardless, if you're interested in learning BJJ and you live close to a gym that Marcus teaches at, than the answer is "yes." I don't train with him, but I've rolled with quite a few of his guys, including four of his black-belts, and they all have incredible jiu jitsu.

Since you're just starting out don't bother worrying about belts and ranks at all. It'll take a couple years for you to get a belt and your time is better spent getting better at jiu jitsu than caring about the colour of your belt.

If you are in Vancouver at all there are also several other good clubs too.

He teaches at a small school in New West Minister about half an hour outside of Vancouver. I'm not concerned about belts as I know it takes a long time for a beginner to reach a level of obgaining a belt but I was more just wondering if I would learn enough with my time being spread out over other disciplines but I think you can still take the BJJ classes and chose to take others around it if you like.

That belting system sounds weird. what if you only do BJJ?

I only here fantastic things about Marcus Soares. there are a lot of places in Canada where you cannot even get black belt instruction - never mind a 7th degree BB with his wealth of knowledge.

Shane Rice, a Rickson BB also teaches in Vancouver. I do not know the area, so I don't know if he is near you. He is amazing.
Universal Mixed Martial Arts | Vancouver / Richmond

Google maps says it is 17km away - which is about how far I travel to train.

Marcus' classes in the burnaby location are completely separate from Columbia Martial Arts classes. He just rents the space, therefore the fees and the belts (normal BJJ Grading) are specific to his classes.

I train there regularly and it is a awesome group of people and can recommend it.

Last edited:
MArcus has an amazing understanding of BJJ. I train under one of his black belts and Marcus comes over from time to time. He is straight up Carlson Gracie style BJJ and quit frankly there is probably only a handful of guys alive that have more knowledge then he does.

The belt stuff is irrelevant because you will be a white belt for like 3 years any way. Marcus is super stingy with his belts.

If you can train there and it is convienent, do it.

i'd go and train there and do like

bjj 2x a week

kickboxing 1x

or something of the sort. you should want to be the most complete fighter you can be, even if you just want to grapple

Marcus' classes in the burnaby location are completely separate from Columbia Martial Arts classes. He just rents the space, therefore the fees and the belts (normal BJJ Grading) are specific to his classes.

I train there regularly and it is a awesome group of people and can recommend it.

Thanks for tip. I am thinking about coming this week to one of the 2pm classes. Any advice for a newbie? This may seem like a dumb question but are sweat pants and an Under Armour shirt okay for my first class? I don't have a gi and I want to try it out before I invest in one.

Thanks

Thanks for tip. I am thinking about coming this week to one of the 2pm classes. Any advice for a newbie? This may seem like a dumb question but are sweat pants and an Under Armour shirt okay for my first class? I don't have a gi and I want to try it out before I invest in one.

Thanks

I wouldn't worry about the GI as I believe Marcus has a spare top.

In terms of advice, the 2pm class usually starts late so don't be surprised if it doesn't get going till 2:20ish and during the question session I'd ask to see a basic move (like an armbar or triangle).

Oh yeah,the warmup is also more of a workout and is usually fairly hard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back