Should I train in this style?

JohnMc

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
A Full contact Kickboxing gym [8 kick rule, no low kicks, knees or elbows or clinch] is opening up near me on the 16th [Along with Boxing]. A Thaiboxing gym is a 20 min drive from me but it oly trains twice a week for 2 hours.

The FCK gym has champions training. Should I train here and maybe take Thaiboxing on the side?

this sounds like a bit too sports training which is fine if thats what you want but if you're looking to go into mma i don't know if thats the best place

you should do some type of grappling on top of that too, at my school most people train bjj/sub wrestling and boxing/muay tai

You should train in both. It will give you a good mix. ALot of people train in muay thai so when you throw your fc skills in at a mt fighter he will have problems because he has more than likely seen only one type of style...

Thanks guys.

FStep. Their techniques seem more like Thaiboxing than most FCK gyms which seem to use karate or TKD techniques [I saw one of the trainers training a fighter one day] There is a Judo school is near me [They meet twice a week and practice ground fightind as well] I am going to find out all the info. To my knowledge there is no BJJ clubs where I am.

judo is good since you'll get some nice takedowns along with submissions ... you can look into other grappling arts too in your area like russian or combat sambo, freestyle or greko roman wrestling, tjj, etc are all excellent for mma there's bound to be something where you live

FStep said:
judo is good since you'll get some nice takedowns along with submissions ... you can look into other grappling arts too in your area like russian or combat sambo, freestyle or greko roman wrestling, tjj, etc are all excellent for mma there's bound to be something where you live

Thanks again FStep.

If the Thai boxing gym provides quality instruction and is better than the FC gym, then the 20 min. drive is more than worth it. I used to drive 1 hour to and 1 hour back from the gym I used to go to (about 55 miles one way). I'll probably do the same if things work out for me with this other gym (Fight and Fitness) I'm considering (still about 1 hour away), but the instruction will definintely be worth it. Bunkerd Fairtex is the head instructor.

Abe Frohman said:
If the Thai boxing gym provides quality instruction and is better than the FC gym, then the 20 min. drive is more than worth it. I used to drive 1 hour to and 1 hour back from the gym I used to go to (about 55 miles one way). I'll probably do the same if things work out for me with this other gym (Fight and Fitness) I'm considering (still about 1 hour away), but the instruction will definintely be worth it. Bunkerd Fairtex is the head instructor.

The FCK gym has trainers that are/were champions. Not sure about the Thaiboxing gym [its actually held in a leisure centre on Mon and Weds 9-11] I might e-mail the thai club for more info and try the FCK gym and see what it is like. I'm mostly buying gear at the moment.

Thanks for the advice Abe.

Before i went to army, i trained both kick, and thai boxing. And then i sparred with my boxer friend 1 time in a week.

I liked it, it was fun training both, and not just one style. And i liked also just to box sometimes, i have always liked boxing.

Go twice a week and get some guys from the gym to train with the rest of the days.

Does the thai gym do sparring or is it all technique work? If they do spar just stick with that, if not do both.

The 8 kick rule means you must throw 8 kicks a round or you get points deducted. I trained kickboxing when I went to University and it's a dumb rule for kickboxers who are scared of losing to a pure boxer. If your kicking is so good you shouldn't need special rules to make your opponent throw at least 8 kicks per round. This is all just my opinion though.

The 8 kick was implemented because back in the day boxers were learn some basic kickboxing, but basically would use maybe a kick or two and their defensive skills to use their boxing which let the boxers dominate for a time.

So the rule want to showcase that kickboxing is not just boxing, but also the boxers made so that the kickboxers had to develop their handskills to compete as well.

triggertap79 said:
Does the thai gym do sparring or is it all technique work? If they do spar just stick with that, if not do both.

I'm not sure. He just gave me the basic info. the times and place. I am going to e-mail him again for specific info about the classes. I would like to think they had sparring but since they are in a leisure centre and not an actual thaiboxing gym i am not going to get my hopes up.

Thanks again guys.

JohnMc,

What are your goals? There's nothing wrong with training in sport karate/kickboxing if that's in alignment with your goals.

If the FCK place has "no low kicks, knees or elbows or clinch", they've gutted MT. What makes you say "Their techniques seem more like Thaiboxing than most FCK gyms".

mixicus said:
JohnMc,

What are your goals? There's nothing wrong with training in sport karate/kickboxing if that's in alignment with your goals.

If the FCK place has "no low kicks, knees or elbows or clinch", they've gutted MT. What makes you say "Their techniques seem more like Thaiboxing than most FCK gyms".

Mix. I'm mostly looking for realistic and hard training. At 29 I doubt I will be able to become a Pro fighter. And if I was able to I doubt you would ever see me in K-1 or any big events.

From what I saw with one of the fighters training with the coach they kick alot like like Thaiboxers and not like karate or TKD practicioners .[Ie. No pivoting, stopping and "flapping" out the kick like in karate and TKD. They swing it like in Thaiboxing] They just fight under FCK rules [FCK rules seem to be more popular than full blown Thai rules here.]

Thanks again guys.

Back