Should I train around injury?

Mise En Place

White Belt
Reaction score
So I have been training 3 weeks, been to 8 classes so far. In my last class I bruised my sternum, and had to sit out of the last few rolls it hurt so bad. I skipped class on Wednesday, because it still hurt, and I would love to go to class tomorrow, but it still really hurts. So I am wondering if I am better off going to class and just drilling technique? But pushups and such hurt also, I don't want to be a distraction or a bad training partner. So should I just wait it out, even though I am just getting started, or push through and train around it?

Here's the scenario:

You - "I'm gunn sit this one out... I've bruised my sternum"

Instructor - "excellent use of the word sternum instead of chest.... now get out!!"

It is just your body becoming conditioned, so don't worry about it.

If you are in unbearable pain, of course don't train. You will only further injure yourself. I would sit it out, from what you're saying. Better safe than sorry, eh?

Listen to your body. Jiu jitsu is a marathon, not a sprint. Keep a pace you can maintain.

It's up to you to recognize the difference between being hurt and being injured. I train hurt all the time. But you have to know when it's a legitimate injury that isn't going to get better without rest. I strung a rib injury into a 10-week ordeal of limited rolling my first year, when all I had to do was sit for like 3 weeks.

Go to class as much as possible, just scale back due to injury. Just drill technique. If the technique is something that is going to aggravate the injury, just sit and watch.

I had a slight pop in my knee on Saturday that resulted in some pain in the kneecap whenever I walk down stairs. Nothing else really seems to bother it, but as a precaution I just decided that I would bow out of any drilling of takedowns this week. Yesterday we did takedowns for the first half of technique and did a guard pass for the second half. I sat on the sidelines for the first half and then worked in with another pair for the guard pass portion.

Just let your instructor know before class, if possible. Your instructor would rather have you there participating in some fashion than miss class.

Thanks guys I appreciate the hesponses. It does hurt too bad to train, it hurts to breathe heavy and I do a lot of that at class. I took this morning off again, I don't want to turn it into a 3 month thing when it could be a 2 week thing, like the above poster mentioned. I will just try to squeeze in an extra class next week. Thanks again!

Stop training until it feels better. Attend class and just watch

Back