Should I stick with Judo? When did you feel you could reliably throw?

Now that I think about it, why is Judo that much less expensive than Judo in the first place. Same idea as running a bjj gym..

Olympic sport which means public funding.

It takes a long time to throw someone even if they have little/no Judo training. You're not getting your moneys worth bro. One day a week of any activity is not enough to gain proficiency, hell it's hard for my Judo to improve and I go 2 days a week.

If you can't afford it, look for another Judo place to train or scrap it altogether. Start pulling guard.

Judo clubs are cheap but I think "dojos" are probably closer to the 100$ mark. But either way, if you only go once a week, you should see if you can ask them for a discount, otherwise 100$ is a bit expensive.

I'd stick with Judo if I were in your shoes. I'd love to cross-train, and do plan to in the future, once I find time! What is your Judo club's fee structure? If you're only going once a week perhaps you could just pay a walk-in fee which would end up being cheaper? Failing that you could try to find another school?

I just had my first Judo comp and the matches I won were via newaza, so to answer your question I still don't feel like I can throw people reliably yet, unless they are white belts. I've been doing it for nearly a year and I'm only a yellow belt atm. On the other hand my ground game is progressing more than my stand up. I feel that stand up has a far steeper learning curve initially, so stick with it and eventually you'll get it.

Thanks. I'll talk to my instructor and see if we can work something out, but it seems like even if it was cheaper one day a week just won't cut it.

Yeah, I know the place is on the expensive side. As Disastorm mentioned, it's more of a dojo than a club. We aren't sharing the facility with anyone else, so it's pretty expensive (I know my BJJ instructors pay around $1500 a month for their place down the road, and they are splitting the space with a crossfit gym). The YMCA is cheaper (around $50 a month), though the floor isn't sprung. They offer classes two days a week that I could attend, but they are offered at the same time my BJJ classes (unlike my current Judo school), so that' not much of an option.

nooooooooo!!!!1

I second this.

Basically it boils down to three options:

1) Try and convince your judo instructor to a reduced rate, bringing up your whole lack of time thing.
2) Leave BJJ and do judo fulltime.
3) Leave judo and do BJJ fulltime.

If your judo club is big into newaza, then for now I would either go for 1 or 2; if it's mostly tachiwaza then I would drop it and just do BJJ and try convince people to work standup with you.

It takes a long time to throw someone even if they have little/no Judo training. You're not getting your moneys worth bro. One day a week of any activity is not enough to gain proficiency, hell it's hard for my Judo to improve and I go 2 days a week.

If you can't afford it, look for another Judo place to train or scrap it altogether. Start pulling guard.

I don't know. To "throw" someone, yes it takes a while. But once a week of judo isn't all worthless, IMO. It can give an edge grip wise from stand up to a bjj practitioner facing other bjj'ers, and allow them to get on top. Either by an ugly takedown by judo standards, or have many of the opponents pull guard, just from feeling the confidence someone doing judo once a week will have over someone who doesn't.

... But then again, 100 bucks a month, damn..

In my personal experience Judo was hard to get to the point where I could feel comfortable and just didn't keep going for Osoto Gari again and again. At one point though it will just feel like it kind of clicks and you will starting getting off a nice throw one in a while and then it will start becoming more common. You will be get better at off balancing, when to commit, etc.

For me that point of clicking took probably about a year of pretty dedicated training.

On the other hand, when I started BJJ it felt like each day I was learning new stuff that I could use each and every training session.

Olympic sport which means public funding.

This...... also in my experience all my judo instructors were volunteer and they would only charge you enough to cover the cost of rent. They were all older and did it just because they loved it and it kept them in good shape.

I've been doing judo for 3 &1/2 years and I could not tell you when I feel I can reliably throw. There are still throws that I cannot seem to get no matter how hard I try. The biggest difference I have seen is that after all these years I now know when to enter, I can move better, and more important I am not afraid or timid about GETTING thrown and to me that was the biggest hurdle to overcome. Crossing that hurdle helped me out the most because I'm not afraid to attack. As far as throwing reliably, hell its different for everyone.

Figure out what your goals are first. Do you wanna be some supreme judo badass? One day a week isn't gonna cut it. Do you just want to get better standing? One day probably isn't going to work but it's certainly better than not going at all. Do you just want to pick up some basics to add then one day a week would do.

$100- per month is too expensive for me. Judo or BJJ, no way I could afford to pay it. My BJJ club carges $120- per month which is why I stopped. Stcik with whatever one you prefer but I would look around for somethng cheaper.

Back