Should I stick with Judo? When did you feel you could reliably throw?

akdms

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So, I've been training BJJ for a few years now, and Judo for about a year a half. My contract with Judo is about to expire and to renew is going to increase by $11 a month (to $100 per month, in addition to the $100 a month I spend on BJJ).

Now, I like Judo, but because of the class schedule and work conflicts, I'm only able to average a day a week of Judo training (compared to 3-4 days of BJJ). As a result, after a year and a half, I'm still a green belt.

I feel like I do okay in randori, but am completely clueless when it comes to grappling tournaments. I haven't figured out how to deal with the stance, illegal-Judo grips, stiff-arming my hip, single-legs, etc.

For those of you who have cross-trained, how long did it take before you starting being able to apply Judo techniques in grappling competitions? Do you think I'll be able to improve over the next year (the contract's length) training an hour a twenty minutes a week?

Like I said, I like Judo, but $25 a class is a lot... With that kind of money I could be taking BJJ privates, yoga, etc.

I equate everything to money. It's my job so it tends to spill over into my daily life. Ask yourself if training once a week is worth the $100/month. That's roughly $25 per lesson. It gets cheaper the more you go.

Everyone's different to some degree, but I don't see how training Judo only once a week is going to help you very much, if at all. Just my two cents.

bottom line, if you can't afford it you can't afford it.

I think you go to the most expensive Judo club in the world.

$100 a month is way too expensive for Judo

do you live in Dubai?

just scrap Judo and try to dedicate yourself more to bjj.

My Judo club only charges $45.00 per month; and they offer Goju Ryu and Shito Ryu Karate, as well as Judo and Jiu Jitsu. You are paying way to much for it, as many have stated. The bottom line is that you need to make a financial decision, can you afford the extra cash? I'd take up something cheaper, like one of the things you had stated. Yoga/BJJ Privates > Overpriced Judo once a week.

It doesn't sound like you are getting much benefit. I love judo, but you may actually be better served if you can get your bjj coach and teammates to spar from standing, using your extra time to put more in sparring.

See if you can get someone else from your bjj place to spar takedowns for an hour a week, and like you said, take that cash and see if you can get either a judo or wrestling guy to give a semi private once and a while.

I'm sure a local judo or wrestling guy would teach you and a buddy for a reasonable price, especially if you split the cost.

Dont quit judo you are already invested in it. Talk to the teacher and see if you can workout maybe $50 a month, he may do it. No harm in asking, you have nothing to lose. If not, try to find a cheaper judo club.

My idea. You already have a good base of knowledge--I assume--you just want/need to apply it to grappling. Why dont you use that $100 for private lessons for your teacher and ask him to help you apply it to grappling.

Since you only go once a week, why don't you ask if you can just pay on how much you come? It sucks when person x pays 100 and goes 5x when person y pays 100 and goes 1x. Work out a deal. I'm sure he will understand your financial situation and hook you up

Outside of a few very rare circumstances, $100 a month for judo is excessive.

Ask if you can pay by the class, and focus on throws that work best against low stances, mainly sacrifice throws, kata guruma and ouchi gari works great too.

It will take a time before you send a BJJ guy flying in BJJ competition unless they are willing to try and get the takedown themselves.

One of the few things I know about judo is that it is usually very inexpensive to learn. $100 a month seems pretty pricey man. Is there anywhere else you can train?

Now that I think about it, why is Judo that much less expensive than Judo in the first place. Same idea as running a bjj gym..

Back