Should I start Westworld or Breaking Bad? - Update: Watched WW - Now What?

It got SUPER dull like 3 or 4 episodes in, but started making sense at about episode 7

For me the entire season was a lot of "who gives a shit" with the occasional "holy fuck."

Is breaking bad really that good? I got partway into the 1st season where they started melting the dudes in the tub and my roommates(they were bf and gf) kept watching it while I went to the gym. The Wire is the best TV of all time.

No and yes.

In my opinion it isn't a tier one show, too many glaring mistakes, plot holes and fan service, but it was exquisitely crafted and entertaining as hell.

I've watched The Wire start to finish a half dozen times, I'll never watch Breaking Bad again.

For me the entire season was a lot of "who gives a shit" with the occasional "holy fuck."

Yeah it kinda takes away from the "give a fuck" factor when 75% of the cast is just programmed to do their role and will be back next week.

Watch first episode of each, see what draws you in.

I remember watching the last few minutes of the episode "Three Minutes" and just being like "HOLY SHIT" Intense stuff

Breaking Bad was a fucking great journey for the viewer

"
Dear Mister Cranston.

I wanted to write you this email – so I am contacting you through Jeremy Barber – I take it we are both represented by UTA . Great agency.

I’ve just finished a marathon of watching “BREAKING BAD” – from episode one of the First Season – to the last eight episodes of the Sixth Season. (I downloaded the last season on AMAZON) A total of two weeks (addictive) viewing.

I have never watched anything like it. Brilliant!

Your performance as Walter White was the best acting I have seen – ever.

I know there is so much smoke blowing and sickening bullshit in this business, and I’ve sort of lost belief in anything really.

But this work of yours is spectacular – absolutely stunning. What is extraordinary, is the sheer power of everyone in the entire production. What was it? Five or six years in the making? How the producers (yourself being one of them), the writers, directors, cinematographers…. every department – casting etc. managed to keep the discipline and control from beginning to the end is (that over used word) awesome.

From what started as a black comedy, descended into a labyrinth of blood, destruction and hell. It was like a great Jacobean, Shakespearian or Greek Tragedy.

If you ever get a chance to – would you pass on my admiration to everyone – Anna Gunn, Dean Norris, Aaron Paul, Betsy Brandt, R.J. Mitte, Bob Odenkirk, Jonathan Banks, Steven Michael Quezada – everyone – everyone gave master classes of performance … The list is endless.

Thank you. That kind of work/artistry is rare, and when, once in a while, it occurs, as in this epic work, it restores confidence.

You and all the cast are the best actors I’ve ever seen.

That may sound like a good lung full of smoke blowing. But it is not. It’s almost midnight out here in Malibu, and I felt compelled to write this email.

Congratulations and my deepest respect. You are truly a great, great actor.

Best regards

Tony Hopkins."

Last edited:
Is breaking bad really that good? I got partway into the 1st season where they started melting the dudes in the tub and my roommates(they were bf and gf) kept watching it while I went to the gym. The Wire is the best TV of all time.

Yes, BB really is that good.

It's in the same ballpark as The Wire. Depending who you ask that have seen both shows, its either almost as good, just as good, or even better.

BB. @Zer

091913-jesse-plemons-623-1379609326.jpg

Breaking bad was great start to finish. I'd start with that.

I hardly watch any TV but I watched all five BB seasons twice. It was on another level in terms of quality from other TV shows. That said, I wouldn't say it was perfect. There was some deus ex machina shit in the last season.

Breaking Bad no question. I wanted to love Westworld so badly. But it bored the fuck out of me.

you can always watch Vikings.

That's on my list too. I got about 4-5 episodes into it. Then realized I needed to take a break b/c Walking Dead was back on and I didn't have time for another series. Then I watched The Pacific mini-series. Which was awesome but depressing.

So I feel lucky b/c I still have to watch
The Wire
Breaking Bad
Vikings
Westworld
Sopranos
Boardwalk Empire?
Deadwood
Golden Girls complete series ;)

I need to quit work so I can focus on TV

That's on my list too. I got about 4-5 episodes into it. Then realized I needed to take a break b/c Walking Dead was back on and I didn't have time for another series. Then I watched The Pacific mini-series. Which was awesome but depressing.

So I feel lucky b/c I still have to watch
The Wire
Breaking Bad
Vikings
Westworld
Sopranos
Boardwalk Empire?
Deadwood
Golden Girls complete series ;)

I need to quit work so I can focus on TV

If you saw The Pacific, I assume you saw Band of Brothers?

If you saw The Pacific, I assume you saw Band of Brothers?

Yup. I saw it a while ago and recently re-watched it. I loved that series!! One of my favorite but hard to watch sometimes. I think one of those video games I played a while ago was based pretty much off it as well. But man, BoB was intense and crazy. It made you feel like you were there. When the interviewed the veterans and even 50-60 years later they cried when they remember the war and their friends that died was intense!!
BoB was the serious that basically "de-glamourized" war for me. As a kid or based on a lot of shows it was always these badasses who killed all the bad guys and were real heroes and just kicked ass. After that series, seeing those men still breaking down decades later was eye opening. War is hell.

Yup. I saw it a while ago and recently re-watched it. I loved that series!! One of my favorite but hard to watch sometimes. I think one of those video games I played a while ago was based pretty much off it as well. But man, BoB was intense and crazy. It made you feel like you were there. When the interviewed the veterans and even 50-60 years later they cried when they remember the war and their friends that died was intense!!
BoB was the serious that basically "de-glamourized" war for me. As a kid or based on a lot of shows it was always these badasses who killed all the bad guys and were real heroes and just kicked ass. After that series, seeing those men still breaking down decades later was eye opening. War is hell.

It's the only show I think might be subjectively better than The Wire.

I did breaking bad recently in about a month or so and it was great.
Really good stuff

I think you should only watch breaking bad as their is no way you are allowed to watch any other show other than breaking bad.

Ever.

In your entire life.

I think you should only watch breaking bad as their is no way you are allowed to watch any other show other than breaking bad.

Ever.

In your entire life.

You clearly enjoy Vikings, did you watch Spartacus? If so, did you like it?

Back