should i start training...

S

snigg

im at school in a smaller town, so my choices of training are very limited. there is pretty much only one place to train here, and they focus mainly on Jeet Kun Do style. the trainers said you work on stand up(boxing and thai kickboxing), also work on clinching and finally grappling. it seems like an OK place to go, and its pretty cheap($45/month), but im just wondering if this would even be worth it. i guess training in this is better than doing nothing, but i dont wanna waste my money and time if its a shitty facility. anyone have any experience with JKD or training at a school that focus's on multiple aspects, instead of specializing in one area? my ultimate goal is to focus mainly on BJJ...

sorry i wasnt sure where to put this so i put it here and in the stand up forum. thanks fellas...

thanks fightsong, i just replied to the other thread. i just wasnt sure where to put this thread, and id like to see how the advice i get from grapplers and stand up guys agree/differ.

We do sub grappling and BJJ at my CMU club. You can check my sig for the link.

There is actually a fair amount of other places to train in Pittsburgh. Here are a few good ones I can think of off the top of my head:

Pennsylvania Karate Academy (I used to teach there -- little bit of everything)
Steel City Martial Arts (Best gi BJJ in the city)
Penn Hills Martial Arts (Good, cheap no-gi grappling)

If you are interested in MMA, you can also look up Eric Hilber or Bill Vucick. Both are active MMA fighters who offer quality training.

It's also not too hard to find a boxing gym around here. I don't know any offhand, but look around.

YES

I didnt even have to read your explaination.

Balto said:
We do sub grappling and BJJ at my CMU club. You can check my sig for the link.

There is actually a fair amount of other places to train in Pittsburgh. Here are a few good ones I can think of off the top of my head:

Pennsylvania Karate Academy (I used to teach there -- little bit of everything)
Steel City Martial Arts (Best gi BJJ in the city)
Penn Hills Martial Arts (Good, cheap no-gi grappling)

If you are interested in MMA, you can also look up Eric Hilber or Bill Vucick. Both are active MMA fighters who offer quality training.

It's also not too hard to find a boxing gym around here. I don't know any offhand, but look around.

thanks balto, im going to start training at steel city martial arts when i return home after this school year, but i was just curious if itd be worth getting started while im at school. i have come to the conclusion that anything is better than nothing, ill give it a try. it cant make me any worse, right?

Just go check out the JKD school. It could be great or it could be shit, but you will never know unless you check it out.

Back